Headache from riding V

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I switched Ventisit to comfort version and have to say that it helped with my head a lot. At first ride I haven't recognised any difference. But It changed position of my head a little bit and now my head is more comfortable.
I have ordered Thor seat but had not payed it yet (sorry, Greg) so I have dilema with alternative seat once more. New seat would mean new bottle holders, new velcros on seat for my underseat bags etc, etc. = a lot of work. My better half is jealous of my bike because I spend nearly all my free time riding or tweaking it. I would like to move from tweaking phase to just maintenance phase.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My better half is jealous of my bike because I spend nearly all my free time riding or tweaking it. I would like to move from tweaking phase to just maintenance phase.

Well you can get the better half into biking but that of course doubles the cost :)

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Well you can get the better half into biking but that of course doubles the cost :)
My better half has Azub recumbent and she is much slower than me. We are cycling together sometimes but...
I take care of her bike so more time spend with hex wretch what I cannot give her.

They are called bike widows or cycling widows.
If my girlfriend is cycling widow I sould be called climbing widow. But rock climbing stuff doesn't need so much care as bike :)

Last edited:

PeteClark

That is the best description of where it is suppose to be. Never thought of comparing it to the position you hold your head without the head rest.
That's the position that allow you to look through sunglass at the handlebar clamp and not look under the glasses.

well done. and that sounds comfortable with the tube sandwich. Pictures?

As a follow-up, I think I've got the headrest dialed in. Rather than shorten the headrest tubes as some have done, I've installed a wedge of dense foam between the seat and the seat pad... it is 2 cm thick at the back edge of the seat, tapered down to 0.5 cm at the leading edge (about 25 cm from the back edge). That lifts my shoulders just enough that the headrest hits me in just the right spot.IMG_1484.JPG
I'd be interested in any commentary on my position on the bike. With the boom-slider set on "20", there's less than 1 cm clearance between the top of my thigh and the flats of the Midge On-One bars. btw-the cranks are 175mm.

Alan W Dolbeer

I used a combination of doubling the foam thickness in the headrest and also placing a wedge of open cell foam under the Ventisit seat pad. This combination is working well for me.
IMG_0472.JPG

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
As a follow-up, I think I've got the headrest dialed in. Rather than shorten the headrest tubes as some have done, I've installed a wedge of dense foam between the seat and the seat pad... it is 2 cm thick at the back edge of the seat, tapered down to 0.5 cm at the leading edge (about 25 cm from the back edge). That lifts my shoulders just enough that the headrest hits me in just the right spot.
I'd be interested in any commentary on my position on the bike. With the boom-slider set on "20", there's less than 1 cm clearance between the top of my thigh and the flats of the Midge On-One bars. btw-the cranks are 175mm.

that was the exact solution we used half way through the 24hr race last year. there's nothing wrong with that solution ether so if it continues to work then enjoy

pedlpadl

I'd be interested in any commentary on my position on the bike.

My knees hurt from looking at that photo. I went from 175mm cranks on DF to 165mm on my V20. With my short legs, I should probably look into even shorter cranks. Dialing in the proper boom length took a while for me, but riding pain free now. Good luck Pete.

PeteClark

My knees hurt from looking at that photo. I went from 175mm cranks on DF to 165mm on my V20. With my short legs, I should probably look into even shorter cranks. Dialing in the proper boom length took a while for me, but riding pain free now. Good luck Pete.
I had 180mm cranks on my last 3 DFs, and loved 'em... the cranks that is.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
For the idea of adding padding under existing pads to raise your shoulders you can use any dense foam. You trying to raise the seats height, not add more padding so foam compliance isn't important. Go out and buy yourself a new TV then use the leftover styrofoam packaging for you seat adjustments. The more dense the foam the better it'll resist compression over time.

Reactions: joy

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I had 180mm cranks on my last 3 DFs, and loved 'em... the cranks that is.

Larry O has short legs, but I don't know how short, and after MANY experiments using a very clever attachment to modified cranks, so the crank length was adjustable from 105 to 135 mm.
He has settled on 140 mm cranks.
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/fun-with-crank-lengths.8536/

I went from 175 mm to 153 mm and my knees thanked me!!!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I used 2 layers of exercise mats on the Silvio V1.0 seat base and after 1 year they compressed from 10 mm down to 1.5 mm, and there was only a small weight on them.