Headrest Alternatives for Silvio or Vendetta ~Rick

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Here are image of an ADEM headrest mock setup on the Silvio using stock seat and headrest rail for Eric and others that may be interested in "How did I do it" :D!

Below are the parts, including foam to increase the seat angle, and plastic adapter to support Bent-Up Aero Bag.

16906242447_125b8c2efc_c.jpg

Blow is headrest mast & support assembly zip-tied to stock headrest rail.

17112980671_3729ca3ffb_c.jpg

Below image shows mast slid down. Note the mast can be trimmed...cut off bottom to remove unsightly excess.

16926069820_546ab84a51_z.jpg

Blow action shot shows my beautiful model-wife demonstrating headrest. Not the rail can slide fore and aft, and the mast can be adjusted vertically. Also the mast has two bend points for fine tuning the angle.

17112981421_49010257c9_c.jpg

And here is an image of the ADEM headrest bracket glued to an 1/8" ABS piece of plastic to attach to the rail using zip ties.

Last edited:

BentAero

I love/hate when you guys give me ideas. ;)
Very nice Rick. What's the pad on the back side (yellow area) of the bracket used for?

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Very good explanation Rick, that helps immensely.

How tall is your wife? In the photo it looks like the Cruzbike headrest frame is inserted almost all the way into the frame which would be closer to my needs.

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Rick, excellent photos and explanations!!!
I think Charles will give you 5 GOLD stars for your excellent work!!!
The photo with your lovely wife really set it off, as you can see how neatly it supports the head without touching the helmet rear adjustment straps, AND how easy it would be to adjust for another rider!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Rick, excellent photos and explanations!!!
I think Charles will give you 5 GOLD stars for your excellent work!!!
The photo with your lovely wife really set it off, as you can see how neatly it supports the head without touching the helmet rear adjustment straps, AND how easy it would be to adjust for another rider!

SS, I thank you and so does my wife :)!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Easy Seat Angle Mod ...for existing Silvio or Vendetta seats.

Cut three blocks to help bridge and support the seat. These seats don't have built in ribs like typical hard-shell seats you find on most high-racers. So the two or three extra supports are required to keep the seat from breaking or cracking.

I first cut a piece of hard dense rubber to support the upper back area to a height to get my desired angle. Then cut two additional pieces for support in the mid areas. Note: the piece in the middle is dense plastic and the front and top pieces are hard dense rubber (the rubber can be great for adsorbing or deadening some road shock, this rubber is extremely dense) all of which I purchased from eBay...I had these materials on hand. The two middle support pieces require to be beveled a little. I simply use Velcro on the pieces top and bottom. I then used a double sided Velcro strap on the top support and hooked it around the frame tube to help keep integrity.

Note: This is just a mock-up. If I were to use this as a semi-permanent solution, I would screw the top support into the seat using machine screws to give a more stable system, especially when lifting the bike up from the bake of the seat. I'm sure this can be improved upon immensely!:)

Disclaimer Note: These are just my ideas. You take full responsibility should you decide to experiment with this mode.

16503846583_be3191603f_b.jpg

16936204248_05142c9bea_b.jpg

16936446430_baf128c694_b.jpg

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I like your ADEM addition for a couple reasons. One, the mast provides a much better contact point for the Apidura pack if I use it. Two, I already have one so no more money into the black hole. One question before I start looking for it. Has your wife logged any long distance trips on it? I found what is comfortable for hour rides doesn't always hold on the ultra type distances.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Has your wife logged any long distance trips on it? I found what is comfortable for hour rides doesn't always hold on the ultra type distances.
I only used my wife as a model for demonstration purposes.

Now for me, I've used the ADEM head rest on every bike I've owned. As far as the pad, I've never like the ADEM's older style pad, and never have used the new style. However, the new style from what I hear is much more comfortable than the old style. I made my own pad using Ventisit pads, and find them ridiculous comfortable, almost to the point of being arrested about it.

I have 5000 miles on the Vendetta and 3600 miles on the Silvio with this headrest and pad combo. I've been on the bike for rides up to 10 hours too...very comfortable.

16492045524_afe7a66fe7_b.jpg

16926904400_c13edcdfe6_b.jpg

jond

Zen MBB Master
Has this head rest issue been resolved with the new 2015 V2?

hi kurt i think it is fair to say most of us use the original set up without any real issue. my bikes have been so comfy i could fall asleep on them. v2.2 and v20

getting the headrest set is often finnicky for new converts but a visit to the resources and some trial and adjustment satisfies 95% of us. and boy are we a varied short tall skinny pleasantly plump no necked long necked dare i say happy group with no red necks. and we just fit.

go get a great bike.

in rick's case he has a neck / back injury so sought to improve the bike for him. and wow rick certainly has made a great job of it. such a great job that others have emulated the five star certified job.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
As Jon stated. In my case I have moderate to severe neck issues, and need a lot of support in upper back shoulders and neck/head. That's the main part for my conversion, the other part is I like to fiddled and customize my bikes.

In my mind the Silvio, and especially the Vendentta are the Worldes greatest - recumbents, df-recumbents.

Again with most owners the Silvio or Vendetta will fit right out of the box, with little to no headrest tweaking. But it's good to know there are many solutions and alternatives should you have issues.

RAR

Rick , I noticed you have a gap between your seat and your head/neck rest. Possibly you should fill this section in with padding to help support your neck. I know of race drivers who backed into a wall with seat and head supported as yours is and they broke their necks. Maybe it's possible this space is causing you a problem.

Jeffrey Ritter

Easy Seat Angle Mod ...for existing Silvio or Vendetta seats.

Cut three blocks to help bridge and support the seat. These seats don't have built in ribs like typical hard-shell seats you find on most high-racers. So the two or three extra supports are required to keep the seat from breaking or cracking.

Hey Rick, a new Cruzbike rider about to upgrade to Silvio S30. I also have "tough" neck issues and have been really excited to see your modifications. Just curious, did you ever know any that implemented the 3 bridge support you did as a prototype in this earlier post? If yes, any further advice or navigation to those who did will be welcomed!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hello Jeffrey. The S30 has a single piece seat compared to a two piece seat on the S2.0. Due to this I would not advise experimenting with this type of seat mod.

ccf

Guru
Rick, do you have a photo showing how the plastic adapter to support Bent-Up Aero Bag is installed?

-Cliff