Headrest to seat clamp

Fitz

My question is NOT about the headrest to frame clamp, aka "scissor jack." I am building a Silvio S30 using the 2.2 manual. It shows two clamps that connect the headrest to the seat (see image). My frameset did not include these. Are they no longer needed?
Headrest Clamp b.jpg

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
I never used them and I still have my head! Well, most of it anyway. :)
My guess is the original designer thought that the headrest metal piece was going to need more support - but I think it does just fine, and I even hang a tailbox on it with 5 lbs of water bottles and some tools.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I THINK they were added so the seat could have bolt connections at both ends so the bike could be lifted by the seat???

mzweili

Guru
Back in march 2014 I've got 4 of them. But you dont need them, the velcros are strong enough.
This year I installed a Thor seat with an Adem headrest, and I'm still able to lift the bike by the seat (only held with the velcros).
Maybe one day I'm going to add a ty-rap.

Fitz

The original thinking must have been that the upper part of the seat needed a secure attachment to the frame through the headrest structure. When climbing hard, the counterforce of the pedal stroke is transmitted through the upper seat ultimately to the frame. The way the system is designed, the force is in direct compression from the rider's upper back to frame so no mechanical connection is necessary. And yes, in tension (like picking up the bike using the seat) the Velcro ought to work as long as its glue doesn't fail. However, it is not a perfect world - glue fails and forces from the pedal stroke can be… ummm undisciplined, thus the clamps.
But your real-world experiences show no clamps are necessary, yes?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Friends don't let friends clamp their seat.

First rule of clamp club is don't talk about clamp club

ccf

Guru
I put a zip tie there instead of the clamps. The glue of the velcro has partially failed. The zip tie helps keeps the seat aligned and from slapping against the frame when I go over bumps at speed. BTW, the glue is always the issue with velcro, not the hooks and loops.

-Cliff

Fitz

I put a zip tie there instead of the clamps. The glue of the velcro has partially failed. The zip tie helps keeps the seat aligned and from slapping against the frame when I go over bumps at speed. BTW, the glue is always the issue with velcro, not the hooks and loops.

-Cliff
So did you drill extra holes in the seat pan?

Bill K

Guru
A year ago when I picked up my new V20 from Rose City Recumbent, I asked Jonathan what those holes in the top of the seat were for.
And he confirmed they were for an unneeded bracket (I assume Silvio and Vendetta use the same seat parts).

brokemyback

I had the top of my seat secured with velcro only until....I popped the bike on a new bike rack and hit the highway. I glanced in the rear view I mirror at 70mph and was horrified to see the seat flapping in the wind, held in place only by the seat-bottom screws!!