Heads up; Flo Wheels are back in stock

Wow, what a great price compared to a set of Zipps! Has anyone ever tried them? How do they compare performance wise?

And which one would y'all recommend for a Vendetta if my goal is to go fast but not be clobbered by crosswinds? 60 in the front, 90 in the rear? Or maybe a little less?

Right now, I have the Cruzbike wheels on my Vendetta. They seem fine, but I've never had anything else on my V or Silvio so I don't really have anything to compare them to. With these wheels, I don't mind riding in winds up to around 25 or so. Beyond that, gusts from the side tend to shove me around too much.

Last edited:
Just ordered mine. A 60 for the rear and a 45 for the power side.
Bruce, it's hard to tell from your picture, but are those the Cruzbike wheels on your V? After you ride the Flo wheels around for a bit, please follow up here and tell us how they compare!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
@trplay has the carbon aluminum ones I believe. The all carbon are all new.
The wheels historically get great reviews for everything but availabiliy;

if we didn't already have piles of Reynolds wheels that's what I would be getting...

If you want all around aero, utility, and climbing. 60 for the back and 45 for the front.
That's really the gold standard for a does everything configuration.

If you have reasonable and slow winds then 60x60
If you are racing and have flat and no windows you can go 90x60 or 90x90...

The ultimate combo is to have two drive wheels a 60 and a 45; and two back wheels at 60 and a 90; then you can run 4 different combos, 45x60, 60x60, 45x90 and 60x90 and it still cost less then most main stream wheelsets of 2 wheels..

Bruce B

Bruce, it's hard to tell from your picture, but are those the Cruzbike wheels on your V? After you ride the Flo wheels around for a bit, please follow up here and tell us how they compare!

My present wheels are Bontrager.

I'll be sure to post a Flo report

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
My wheels not FLOW brand are 33 front and disc rear and I barely feel the disc in the rear with a cross wind. Almost all the cross wind issues are going to come from your front wheel choice so stay 45 or lower in the front for a stable ride.

Tigerpaw

If they would build a Flo 90 witha powertap, I'd be all over it. But, they do not! So, my quest continues.

ratz

Aero wheels, smart trainers, power meters, oh my. I need a secret bike bling fund.

Paypal credit isn't monitored by the credit buerraus..... Charge 0% 18 months, pay down, repeat. :cool:
It's secret, capped to prevent something stupid like getting over extend. Takes discipline but that's my secret; problem is it always recharges just in time for the next thing....

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Paypal credit isn't monitored by the credit buerraus..... Charge 0% 18 months, pay down, repeat. :cool:
It's secret, capped to prevent something stupid like getting over extend. Takes discipline but that's my secret; problem is it always recharges just in time for the next thing....
The bike bling fund ... I luv it.

The good thing about training is you are only beating your PB and you don't need new gear. If you live up in the mountains then I could understand changing everything in order to do the "Perez" thing.

Guess I triple the bike budget next year and forget about restraining myself!

Bruce B

I received the new Flo 45 and Flo 60 wheels last Thursday. I chose the black lettering for a more muted appearance but retained the white accents for safety.

Flo 45 & 60.JPG

Last Saturday I installed a pair of Schwalbe Pro One 23c tubeless tires. With no experience with tubeless installation I searched for videos on You Tube. There are plenty of good ones.

Two layers of 21mm Stans Rim Tape were installed on each wheel. That was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Following the tape a puncture through the tape at the valve hole was made and the valves installed. On the 60mm wheel I installed an 80mm valve stem and on the 45mm wheel a 60mm valve stem. I then put a couple of drops of Stans sealant on the spot where the valve seal went through the tape then hand tightened an 0-ring against the outside of the rim.

Both tires were installed with the aid of a solution of Dawn in water. A 2 inch paint brush carried plenty of the mix to the rim and the bead.
A plastic lever was necessary to lift the final bit of bead above the edge of the rim so it could be pushed it into position.

For inflation I have a air cylinder with associated hose and valve that I fill to 105psi using a small 110v pump. My plan was to first inflate the tires to set the bead and then deflate them and add sealant through the valve after removing the core. The 60mm wheel was first. Soap solution on the bead and then air, lots of air but the tire didn't inflate. What happened? One of the beads was over the hole in the valve stem rather than against the rim. Next try. Soap, air and no inflation. While balancing the wheel between my knees and applying the soap solution, checking for valve interference and applying the air valve to the valve stem I had let the tire rest on the floor. Flashback to one of the videos where the narrator suggested hanging the wheel before inflating the tire. More soap and more air, the tire inflated and the beads seated with loud pops. I released the air pressure and the bead(s) released. At this point I put in 30ml of sealant and again lubricated the bead and applied air pressure. The tire reinflated and the beads snapped into place. The tire was inflated to a pressure of 100psi.

With the 45mm wheel the lessons had been learned. Tire clear of valve, soap solution, air pressure and the tire filled and the bead set on the first try. Deflated the tire and added 30ml of sealant and reinflated the tire without incident. This tire was also inflated to 100psi.

After rotating and shaking the wheels and then placing them horizontally for several hours on each side I left them overnight.

The next morning both tires were still well inflated. I decreased the pressure in both to 76psi and mounted them on the Vendetta. Then it was off to a 49 mile ride in the valley.

Flo Wheels.JPG More Flo.JPG

The appearance of the wheel and tire combination is really sharp.

The width of the tires at 76psi is 25.4mm. The 60mm wheel is 26.9mm wide and the 45mm wheel is 24.2mm wide. I did not consider that fact at the time I ordered the tires.

The wheels and tires have a low frequency rumble but nothing obnoxious. At 76psi the combination felt comparatively harder which I judged by vibration through the neck rest. (edit-I adjusted my neck rest and the sense of increase vibration disappeared. My initial observation was entirely incorrect.) I'll have to experiment with different pressures over a few rides. Otherwise they're very comfortable. I don't have a scale to weigh the wheels so I really can't compare them to the Bontrager. I think they make for easier starts but that may be placebo effect. Perception of change in speed and effort will await more riding.

Last edited:

ratz

The appearance of the wheel and tire combination is really sharp.
Great combo for winds and nice because if you really like them you can over time pick up a 60mm front so you can do 60x60 on calm days; or add another 45 for hills or super windy days.

As for the hanging and inflating yep that there is a pro-tip

IMG_5782.jpg

ratz

Are Flo's tubeless ready?

Update and a rather disappointing one the the tubeless crowd and the new FLO90 all carbon wheels.

I had picked up the flo 90's two sets specifically for low wind events. I set them up as Tubeless using Schwable Pro Ones 25c rear 23c front. The setup was a complete failure. The Flo 90 is a fairing based wheel near as a can tell; there is a carbon wheel for structure and a carbon fairing. The Pro One's simply fit too tight on the rim and cause it to distort and twist. When you bring the tire up to pressure, The hub spoke structure will shift left or right off center causing the wheel to dish; seems like the carbon base wheel can't handle the tightness of a tubeless tire.

I mounted 25c tubeless front and rear, mounted 23c tubeless front and rear same results; wheel isn't stable. I pulled out a tube and some GP4000's 23c and 25c mounted those; wheel is perfect; solid and stable. So nothing technically wrong with the wheels other than calling them Tubeless Ready isn't really true.

@Bruce B can you confirm for use whether you got the all carbon ones or if you when carbon/aluminum hybrid.

So we'll see if FLO will take them back otherwise off to eBay these go should be able to get $1000 a pair for them if I have go that route. If anyone here prefers tubes over tubeless drop me a PM and we can chat before they hit e-bay.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Update and a rather disappointing one the the tubeless crowd and the new FLO90 all carbon wheels.

I had picked up the flo 90's two sets specifically for low wind events. I set them up as Tubeless using Schwable Pro Ones 25c rear 23c front. The setup was a complete failure. The Flo 90 is a fairing based wheel near as a can tell; there is a carbon wheel for structure and a carbon fairing. The Pro One's simply fit too tight on the rim and cause it to distort and twist. When you bring the tire up to pressure, The hub spoke structure will shift left or right off center causing the wheel to dish; seems like the carbon base wheel can't handle the tightness of a tubeless tire.

I mounted 25c tubeless front and rear, mounted 23c tubeless front and rear same results; wheel isn't stable. I pulled out a tube and some GP4000's 23c and 25c mounted those; wheel is perfect; solid and stable. So nothing technically wrong with the wheels other than calling them Tubeless Ready isn't really true.

@Bruce B can you confirm for use whether you got the all carbon ones or if you when carbon/aluminum hybrid.

So we'll see if FLO will take them back otherwise off to eBay these go should be able to get $1000 a pair for them if I have go that route. If anyone here prefers tubes over tubeless drop me a PM and we can chat before they hit e-bay.
That's a HUGE disappointment as it seems most modern rims are tubeless ready. You would think 90mm of carbon fiber and they still distort. I wonder what FLO has to say about this?