Heavy breathing

CruzLike

Guru
This has been an observation of my own breathing habits that you may understand better than myself. When I venture out for a 40 miler, the first 10 I notice my breathing to be heavy. Heavy enough that it is hard to drink in between breaths. The second 10 I'm a little more controlled. On the way back (20 to 40 miles) seen the be cruising along at the same amount of effort and not breathing much. I feel like my speed and gearing is the same.

Is this typical to exercise?
Is breathing equal to output?

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
it has been proven that the quickest way to lose weight is to breath more. If you are relaxing too much you forget to breath. When you are burning fat ... the exhaust is water. You either pee it or exhale thru your lungs. So sport is a great way of losing weight because it gets you hotter, your muscles cry out for nourishment, your heart beats faster and you need to cool down... so you sweat. The body is an incredible machine. If you go up hill or into the wind then yes its harder to breath. Another major consideration is diet and there is a very good thread on the forum Cruzbike community
http://cruzbike.com/forum/threads/diet-low-carb-and-ultra-cycling.11000/

If you lose weight there is more power to weight ratio... so it becomes easier to breath... then you want to ride too fast , best to stick to 75% of your heart range being 75% x (208 - 0.7 * age)... and then you will become a budding lightweight in next to no time.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
This has been an observation of my own breathing habits that you may understand better than myself. When I venture out for a 40 miler, the first 10 I notice my breathing to be heavy. Heavy enough that it is hard to drink in between breaths. The second 10 I'm a little more controlled. On the way back (20 to 40 miles) seen the be cruising along at the same amount of effort and not breathing much. I feel like my speed and gearing is the same.

Is this typical to exercise?
Is breathing equal to output?

Every person is unique.
You breathe quickly and deeply at the beginning of the ride;
I breathe quickly and deeply at the beginning of a workout on the indoor trainer.

Towards the end of your ride, your breathing is under control, compared to the beginning of your ride;
I breathe more efficiently & under more control after I've warmed up on the trainer.

Now, here's my input:
This heavy breathing thing absolutely does not happen to me when I'm actually
riding my bike outdoors on the road for real.
I love riding outdoors.
I do not love riding indoors on the trainer....
In my case, the heavy breathing could be my emotional stress response to an unpleasant chore.
Something to think about?

Hope this helps,

-Steve