Help ! Having multiple flats on my Cruzbike Aero 67s wheelset - very frustrating !!!

kenhardwick

After several weeks, I have now finally got my new Silvio working well for me. Well, except for that I have had about 6-7 flats in the approximately 150 miles of riding. I purchased the Cruzbike Aero 67s wheelset and the Continental Grand Prix 4000 Tires when I ordered my Silvio.

One flat on the rear tire and the remaining on the front tire.

I have gone down twice...both times...my front tire was flat afterwards...so I assume that the flat was what caused me to crash. Had one other flat while riding but didn't crash.

Several times, the tires seemed fine after riding but went flat overnight.

Have tried a different tire but that didn't help. But didn't think it would as the punctures seems to be on the underside of the tube. So, I have checked and rechecked the rim and rim tape. Absolutely can not find anything that would cause the punctures. Took a couple of the punctured tubes in to LBS along with bike, they couldn't find anything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated ! Anyone else have similar issues ?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Is the puncture in the same place on the tube every time?

Hello, Ken,

Locating the puncture site with respect to a landmark, say the valve stem hole or a particular spoke nipple installation hole might get us some insight.

If the puncture moves around with respect to the wheel, we could have pinch flats, which usually result from low tire pressure or some unhappiness between the tire bead and the rim seat. These can be hard to run down.

If the punctures are repeatedly in nearly the same place, then we have a place to look for irregularities on the wheel, rim strip or tire.

When you look at the rim strip, is it "dimpled" into the spoke nipple holes, or is it smooth and continuous? Are you using the Velox Tape-type strips, or the newer continuous plastic rigid strips? I've damaged the continuous strips before while installing them. The damage is subtle, but at tire pressures in the 120 - 150psi range, it doesn't take much rubbing to cause a weak spot in the tube.

Some things to consider.

Best,

Doug

kenhardwick

Location of punctures

Doug,
The Rim tape is a single continuous strip. Doesn't seem to have any irregularities. I have included a photo of short portion of the Rim tape.
The flats shouldn't be because of low tire pressure. I'm using about 100psi.

Rim location of punctures are not consistant. In checking six different tubes, five of the six puntures were near the underside seam of the tubes. See image below for location of punctures.

alt="Flats"
flats.png

For what it's worth, I don't

For what it's worth, I don't think this is typical. I have the same wheels and tires and mine hold air very well. I have 400 miles with no flats and very little air less over a week at 100 psi. Better than my last bike.

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
The rim strip is probably too narrow

We supplied the Kore Chastity Belt rim strip in 13 mm width with most of the A67 wheels that we have shipped. Maria and I run this combination on our Silvios and Vendettas, with no problems... until recently when we had one A67 wheel get repeated flats.

Of course, the first thing we looked for was a piece or wire or glass that is stuck in the tire. That was not the problem in this case.

The rim strip had either shrunk or gotten slightly off-center and wasn't covering the spoke holes completely. At 120 psi, the edge of a spoke hole is quite enough to cause a leak in the tube.

The solution is to use a wider rim strip or tape. I suggest going with 16mm or wider. If you want to continue using the 13mm rim strip, make sure it is properly centered and is completly covering all of the spoke holes.

Jim

kenhardwick

Rim Strip

Jim,
Thanks for input. Good to know someone else has had similar issues with same wheelset. Will get some wider rim stip from LBS.

Trying to get in a few miles in each day on my new Silvio. Transferred my wheelset from DF this morning and got a 15 mile ride in.
Feel a little more comfortable riding it as I get more miles. Not a whole lot different from my Gold Rush except for the steering.
Not totally comfortable with that yet.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Similar Experience

My friend had the same issue with his Rolf Vector wheelset; the punctures were not lined up in the same position when comparing flattened tubes. He removed the rim strip and made sure it was in proper position and has had no problems since.

fthills

Hi Ken,
When I first started

Hi Ken,

When I first started on Cruzbikes I thought there is no way I am going to master this format , in fact , after the first few rides , I very rarely took the Silvio preferring my trusty but slow RWD for brevet style rides. And then after a while with optimal positioning of boom , handle bar, cranks , and spending time riding you find yourself thinking less and less of the the bike's Idiosyncrasies and then at some point it becomes second nature.

For me it took roughly 100 hrs of riding to feel comfortable.

Its worth persisting ,the rewards are immense.

kenhardwick

Paul...thanks for the encouragement

Paul, Appreciate your comments. It's good to know that one gets more comfortable riding a Cruzbike as more time is spent and miles are completed.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
One additional hint:
I think

One additional hint:

I think (but don't have scientific evidence) that switching back and forth between a Cruzbike and other bikes slows down your acclimation to FWD bikes. Keep riding and it will come.

Cheers,
Charles

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
"I think (but don't have

"I think (but don't have scientific evidence) that switching back and forth between a Cruzbike and other bikes slows down your acclimation to FWD bikes."

-cplager

Why on earth would anoyone do that ?

Ted

Flat repair

Has anyone tried to use a piece of duct tape to repair a tube? I know it wouldn't stretch as the tube was inflated but maybe there would be enough tape "sticky" and pressure between tube and tire to keep the mall hole sealed?

leakyduck

Duck Tape

Never have tried that, but if I was miles from home and had a flat and no extra tube I would try it for sure.

Here is one that I have never had to try but I seen many a report that it will work.

If you get a cut on the tire such that the tube wants to bulge out and will blow if you try to pump it up to any pressure, take a Dollar Bill and use it as a boot on the inside of the tire. I would imagine that a $100 bill would work but I prefer the cheaper solution.

Jerrye

Spam Slayer
Duct tape

If one was to try duct tape, I would suggest inflating the tube first as much as possible. Once the tape covers the puncture, heat it-with a lighter, match, or similar. Duct tape adhesive seals better and forms a more permanent bond when heat is applied. Better quality tape has better adhesives also. If you're getting duct tape for a dollar or so per roll, it won't work.

MTCW, YMMV.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Gorilla Tape

I don't recommend this, but I skidded through a $95 Continental tubular and rode for weeks afterward on that tire patched with Gorilla tape. Since then, I keep a roll in my under-seat bag.

3WHELZ

Guru
I too just experienced the

I too just experienced the same problem yesterday. However, I must admit it has been three years since the initial installation. So, no complaints on my end. I am just glad it occurred on a working-stand.