Help Needed for Century & 6-Hour record attempt

jond

Zen MBB Master
Hearty congratulations Larry. Mate you did it. You beauty. Wish I could have been there. Way to go team.

What a special bike and motor. Even more special. Everyone involved. Cool.

Look forward to the report. Weather Conditions dictate so much. And two minutes is nothing.

Next time

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Some transcribe for me I am out of pocket
~From Jim Parker~

Breaking news:
Who: Larry Oslund, 57, of North Carolina, USA.
What: Set new UMCA records for the 100 km and 100 mile Outdoor Track unfaired cycling event (pending UMCA approval)
100 km time of 2:19:34 (26.7 mph)
100 mile time of 3:48:01 (26.31 mph)
Where: Northbrook, Illinois
When: August 6, 2017
Bike: Cruzbike X (a prototype with a Cruzbike V20 drivetrain pulling a frame designed and built by Thom Ollinger, and tail box by Kent Polk).

Niko

That´s great ! Would like a more reclined seat angle for my V20 too. But, how would a bike with a tailbox qualify as unfaired ?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
That´s great ! Would like a more reclined seat angle for my V20 too. But, how would a bike with a tailbox qualify as unfaired ?
It still qualifies as unfaired because it is not a "true" tailbox. It is actually a complete seat with a "drink holder and storage compartment" built into the structure. It does not join the wind flow back together so it is not a tailbox any more than the Cruzbike's race-case is a tailbox. Bad news is that you cannot get this seat made. Kent Polk stopped making them. This was his "last" one. It was actually built for my M5 CHR, and so it does not really fit the Cruzbike frame at all. It was a stretch to even get it to fit the prototype frame.

The biggest problem you run into with a more reclined seat is that your helmet and visor catch more wind. At some point you reach diminishing returns. I think I have reached that point, and truthfully I think I may be past it a little bit. I need to do some coast down tests with the seat at slightly different angles to see which one is the most optimal. the V20's stock seat angle is just about perfect. I did play with rotating it to a lower angle and the bike just got slower. I did not have time before my record attempt to do that with this seat - so I just went with what I have.

LarryOz

You stated the record being 46:16 and you rode a 48:01. Am I loosing my my math skills?
Missing some digits I think Ken:
Fastest Century for UMCA is 3:46:16 (indoor velodrome)
I rode it in 3:48:01 (actually I think it is getting revised to 3:48:10)
That is 1 min 54 secs slower.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Missing some digits I think Ken:
Fastest Century for UMCA is 3:46:16 (indoor velodrome)
I rode it in 3:48:01 (actually I think it is getting revised to 3:48:10)
That is 1 min 54 secs slower.

Yes but outside in the wind Larry. How were the conditions by the way? And from one personal experience at a 100 mile tt your effort Larry is superb

and no doubt those two minutes would have not been there if you rode indoors.

Your effort is matched only by your humble nature. Go Larry.

LarryOz

Yes but outside in the wind Larry. How were the conditions by the way? And from one personal experience at a 100 mile tt your effort Larry is superb
and no doubt those two minutes would have not been there if you rode indoors.
Your effort is matched only by your humble nature. Go Larry.

Thanks Jon - It was a pretty nice windless day so I can't complain about that. A few things that could have helped me go faster:
  • A warmer day, since it was in the upper 50's when we started - You ride faster when it is hotter.
  • If I could have worn my Casco speedtime helmet, but it fogged up when I ran some test laps with it. I gain 0.18mph when I ride with it.
  • Probably the biggest mistake I may have made was to ride in a 19K TT the day before. (I rode the 19K to warm up, and then I rode it again pretty hard). If I had to do it again, I would have just not done it. I think it may have worm me down a bit.
  • Being able to ride right on the black measured line. That is the distance you get credit for, not what you actually ride. I estimated that I gave up from between .5 to .9 miles because I always was wide of the black line.
  • And last but not least - just being stronger (Like you are!). I really died the last hour and could not hold the same speed. (2 years ago I could hold it for 4 hours, but not this time)
In reality you need about 100 things to line up perfectly. I can't complain - I think I had at least 93 of them!
There is always next year to try again. :)

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Jon - It was a pretty nice windless day so I can't complain about that. A few things that could have helped me go faster:
  • A warmer day, since it was in the upper 50's when we started - You ride faster when it is hotter.
  • If I could have worn my Casco speedtime helmet, but it fogged up when I ran some test laps with it. I gain 0.18mph when I ride with it.
  • Probably the biggest mistake I may have made was to ride in a 19K TT the day before. (I rode the 19K to warm up, and then I rode it again pretty hard). If I had to do it again, I would have just not done it. I think it may have worm me down a bit.
  • Being able to ride right on the black measured line. That is the distance you get credit for, not what you actually ride. I estimated that I gave up from between .5 to .9 miles because I always was wide of the black line.
  • And last but not least - just being stronger (Like you are!). I really died the last hour and could not hold the same speed. (2 years ago I could hold it for 4 hours, but not this time)
In reality you need about 100 things to line up perfectly. I can't complain - I think I had at least 93 of them!
There is always next year to try again. :)

In deed Larry mate when you are riding at 11/10ths the 100 planets need to align.

Riding that tt the day before depleted your tank for sure. Raam toll too don't underestimate the toll of your recent training regime and event.

You gave it all no doubt a total gut it out effort.

Yes in the last hour performance fell .......for me too. Why zero calories and higher than expected sweat rate. And possibly age.....and rolling dice mistakes. For you the planets did not quite align this time. Next time for sure.

So here then is the Aussie answer to your last hour blues.

Cadbury milk chocolate solid block and a strong stomach better than a gel because it tastes nice. Lol and a big breakfast porridge and bacon and eggs. You can eat em in separate bowls if you like ;) if you can keep it down you won't run out of anything lol

To miss out by so very little will inspire you should you challenge again.

Mate the fact that you have achieved so much so quickly is frankly awe inspiring.

You have the inclination experience and all the ability to take the record should you choose to. Mate no doubt about it.

Salutations. And keep it fun.

Jayrob

Great job Larry. I can tell you first hand, don't wait until next year to try again. I am 65 and I get just a little slower each year, maybe weekly! Rest a few months and go out and tear the record up. I know you can do it. I know all of us older riders are pulling for you!

LarryOz

In deed Larry mate when you are riding at 11/10ths the 100 planets need to align.
Riding that tt the day before depleted your tank for sure. Raam toll too don't underestimate the toll of your recent training regime and event.
You gave it all no doubt a total gut it out effort.
Yes in the last hour performance fell .......for me too. Why zero calories and higher than expected sweat rate. And possibly age.....and rolling dice mistakes. For you the planets did not quite align this time. Next time for sure.
So here then is the Aussie answer to your last hour blues.
Cadbury milk chocolate solid block and a strong stomach better than a gel because it tastes nice. Lol and a big breakfast porridge and bacon and eggs. You can eat em in separate bowls if you like ;) if you can keep it down you won't run out of anything lol
To miss out by so very little will inspire you should you challenge again.
Mate the fact that you have achieved so much so quickly is frankly awe inspiring.
You have the inclination experience and all the ability to take the record should you choose to. Mate no doubt about it.
Salutations. And keep it fun.

Thanks Jon, you are if anything - the greatest encourager I know! I will come down and visit you, Lord willing, before we are both too old to pedal and balance these bikes! :cruzbike:
Keep it fun - yes that is the name of the game!
With that in mind I have entered a couple of 20K TT 's in my local area (to just try and stay primed and fit for the UMCA Century Championship on Aug 19th)
One is tomorrow evening right down the road from me - It is an out and back, so not too friendly for us recumbents.
They other one is in Charlotte, NC (about 2 hours away) next Wed, but it is on the Charlotte Motor Speedway track, so 1.5 mile loop - no out and back!, and I hear it is a fast course. Recumbent record is something like 27mph, so if I have a good night, I should break that! haha :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::p:p:p:p:p:p (still hoping I can break 27mph for 20K!)

Last edited:

CruzLike

Guru
Great effort Larry. You are a talented rider.

Looking forward to hearing about the Charlotte Motor Speedway experience.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Jon, you are if anything - the greatest encourager I know! I will come down and visit you, Lord willing, before we areboth too old to pedal and balance these bikes! haha
Keep it fun - yes that is the name of the game!
With that in mind I have entered a couple of 20K TT 's in my local area (to just try and stay primed and fit for the UMCA Century Championship on Aug 19th)
One is tomorrow evening right down the road from me - It is an out and back, so not too friendly for us recumbents.
They other one is in Charlotte, NC (about 2 hours away) next Wed, but it is on the Charlotte Motor Speedway track, so 1.5 mile loop - no out and back!, and I here it is a fast course. Recumbent record is something like 27mph, so if I have a good night, I should break that! haha :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::p:p:p:p:p:p (still hoping I can break 27mph for 20K!)

Larry you will have to practice riding upside down for the day earlier before you come. Lol
When we are called mate we can be those two errant cruzbike crazies riding round as fast as we can in heaven. No hills no stop signs and the velodrome is never windy.

LarryOz

Looking forward to hearing about the Charlotte Motor Speedway experience.
Thanks Ken - I will try and mount my VIRB camera to the front boom. It should be an interesting video. There should be lots of bike on the course to.