Help with front wheel hub needed!

Vargas

I bought a Shimano Alivio group for my conversion.
The front wheel hub doesn't take 10mm axle.
The axle to be used with the front wheel which came with the kit is 10mm.
How can I adapt the Shimano front wheel hub to move it to the rear wheel?
What did other builders do to move a non 10mm axle front wheel to the rear?

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Axle Diameters

I go into this in some detail here:

http://cruzbike.com/putting-drive-wheel-front

Shimano uses two axle diameters, 9mm for front axles and 10mm for rear axles.

Our conversion kit axle for putting the front wheel on the rear splits the difference, using a "Taiwan" standard 9.5mm axle in 14mm cones to fit a larger, longer axle in the smaller front hub.

Here's a breakdown of the Alvio front hub internals:

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/HB/EV-HB-MC12-P-1445E_v1_m56577569830647989.pdf

The substitute parts you need are included in the conversion kit.

Let us know how you go with this.

Cheers,

Doug

Vargas

LBS

Hi Doug,
I went to my LBS to have the wheels assembled (I bought rims and sprockets) and told the guy I wanted that longer axle in the front hub. He said it was impossible, that the front was thiner and the cones I had were too big.
Looking at the drawing you sent, it looks like I should remove everything and just use the hub and the 20 balls with the supplied kit axle. Is that correct?
I was worried that the balls race inside the hub would not be compatible with the bigger cones, but by what you said it should not.
I will try it tonight. Thanks.
Hope you dont have problems understanding my English. It is not my native language and many bike terms I dont know.
Vargas

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
(No subject)

Picture 159.jpg

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
yes, it really does fit

The thicker axle has low profile cones, so yes, it really does fit. Sometimes (I am being kind) bike shop folks are not as smart as they make out. ;)