He's baaaack...

BentAero

Larry just set a personal best 40k run of 55:21 minutes during a 100k TT test at Carrier Park. 100k in 2:14:46, avg 26.8 mph.

Personally, I managed 24.2 miles @ 18.0 mph, which I am VERY happy with considering my recent circumstances.

Larry? Well, Larry is simply amazing. Glass smooth, lap after lap, after lap.

20150418_135342_zpskatguon1.jpg

Last edited:

Wannabe

Awesome & great job! Maybe on day I can set some records for seniors.

I was at the LBS yesterday. The clerk said that a DF rider just covered some 500 + miles ( don't remember the exact number) in 24 hours and he averaged in the mid twenties. Set a new bike record. I thought the Vendetta did better.... don't know , just asking....

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Thanks for the shot Gary. Had fun riding with you and impresses with your ride too with you foot pain. Keep up the good work!
My first outdoor multi hour ride since shoulder surgery. Left arm and shoulder a little on the week side from 4 weeks of non-use.
Did not feel stable enough to be on the real road with cars yet. So we met at "Carrier Park" in Asheville (an old Nascar 0.4'sh mile oval). It's kind of old and beat up and lots of kids and toys to dodge, but better than dodging cars.

LarryOz

Thanks everyone - you guys inspire me too - It is such a great group to belong to - so much knowledge, advice, fortitude, sharing, etc.
I do have to update the data that Gary posted on me though:
My distance was really only 60.2 miles, so I did miss a true 100K by nearly 3K, so a more realistic time would have been closer to 2:20.
Weather permitting, Gary and I will go to Carrier Park again this coming weekend and go in circles again!

Gary has new CF wheels (88mm back, 60mm front), Q-rings, and shorter cranks to try out. That will probably add 2-3 mph to his top end speed!

I am going to stick on my front and back disc wheels and also swap out my regular Q-rings for the XQL Q-rings and compare numbers. Will shoot for 100 mile ride also - half with old Q-rings, half with new.
We'll see what we get!

Last edited:

LarryOz

I'd almost believe you accept I know that the UCI doesn't even consider a bent a "real" bike!!
There's a whole set of Fondo's here in the South East that won't allow recumbents to compete because of the "unfair advantage". Most of the rides are 10K feet climbing. What a pile of do-do.
If they could just realize all they would have to do is make another bikr class they would get a lot more riders. Oh well, I guess some things take a long time to die.
I wrote them and asked them why don't they disallow disc wheels or CF frames as an unfair advantage for people that can't afford them. Can you believe they have not replied?

To help me verify the speed, I did purchase a Garmin magnet-less sensor that I will install for this weekend and will ride with and compare with the other data.
As I said somewhere else, I am a little hesitant to believe these speeds - they almost seem too good to be true.
If my power had been 250 instead of 220 (which I hope it was - it felt like it was, and my pulse average was 167) I might be believing it a little more, but I suspect the power readings too as the batteries in my Vector Pedals were low and the power readings kept going to zero.

I've got everything set up and re-calibrated for this next weekend, so hopefully the data will be more consistent and believable, and I'll have a 4+ hour set to compare statistics with.
Plan is to ride 4 - 1 hour back to back runs of
#1 - 88mm CF Cruzbike wheelset with regular Q-rings on setting #1
#2 - Solid disc wheelset with regular Q-rings on setting #1
#3 - 88mm CF Cruzbike wheelset with XQL Q-rings on setting #1
#4 - Solid disc wheelset with XQL Q-rings on setting #1
while trying to maintain the same gear and cadence the whole time, with just enough time to stop and change out the wheels and Q-rings - just a couple minutes max each stop.

LarryOz

I have seen your kickr data; I believe; you are a freak. "not normal" :confused:
Thanks Bob - but this guy is the true freak: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ast...li-and-aru-ahead-of-classics-and-giro-ditalia
Quote from article: Fabio has an extra 5-10 watts at threshold, that means he's at about 395-400 watts with a weight of 61.5kg." Gee that's only 6.5 Watts/Kg!! Amazing!
I'm only 290'sh at 68Kg = 4.3 - Hoping to get to 350 some day. ;) , but will never be close to the likes of him I'm afraid. :eek:

LarryOz

Gary has a line on something (Power meter related) coming out this summer that sounds very cost effective - He'll chime in soon I'm sure with an update!

LarryOz

Looks like Mrs. Ratz will have a new toy now - watch out Bob, she sneaking up on you..

Wannabe

...and I'm hoping to get a power meter someday, so I can figure out what the heck you guys are talking about:confused:!

Me Too. I kinda understand because my sons used them.... but that is about it. Bike cost 4 large then everything else doubles the price....OUCH