Hitting the road for a while

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Treat that well; mines still recovering from the retreat; started as a cramp on the first day that I should have not ridden through....

Suz

Safe travels Elliot. Hey, I got "your pedals" in the mail yesterday. Tried them and my first take away - no tingling or numbness in my feet.:)

AbramClark

I enjoyed the photos and ride reports, keep them coming! You inspired me to outfit my Silvio for touring. I installed a much lower gear and fit my medium Radical bags without tire rubbing. Thinking to do a camping trip soon, looking for the right bivy sack.

Treat that well; mines still recovering from the retreat; started as a cramp on the first day that I should have not ridden through....
This is my new favorite stuff for cramps. I tried it for the first time 40 miles into a century, pushing a lot harder than I normally do. I just bought some of these the night before. The recumbents started ahead of everyone, and around mile 30 the lead DF group caught up and so I joined the end of the group as they passed, going around 28 mph. I hung on for about 10 miles and then I got some "pre-cramp twinges". So I backed off of that group, and drank one of these pickle juice shots right away, then again every hour or so. I was able to finish the ride with no more cramps or even twinges - not quite at the same pace but still riding fairly hard. Salt pills are usually a good preventative for me, but these work great if a cramp manages to set in anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Pickle-Juice...srs=13219863011&ie=UTF8&qid=1470943125&sr=8-1

ratz

This is my new favorite stuff for cramps. I tried it for the first time 40 miles into a century, pushing a lot harder than I normally do. I just bought some of these the night before. The recumbents started ahead of everyone, and around mile 30 the lead DF group caught up and so I joined the end of the group as they passed, going around 28 mph. I hung on for about 10 miles and then I got some "pre-cramp twinges". So I backed off of that group, and drank one of these pickle juice shots right away, then again every hour or so. I was able to finish the ride with no more cramps or even twinges - not quite at the same pace but still riding fairly hard. Salt pills are usually a good preventative for me, but these work great if a cramp manages to set in anyway.

https://www.amazon.com/Pickle-Juice...srs=13219863011&ie=UTF8&qid=1470943125&sr=8-1

Pickle Juice and Peppers, appear to be related to the TRP channels and that's actually being studied now.
Here's the article TRP the pickle the stuff I've seen but wasn't able to locate at the moment.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/...muscular-performance-to-prevent-muscle-cramps

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I cramped so badly at my first N24HC in 2007 that I couldn't get off my bike because the quads in both legs locked up tight. It was really hot and I was over 100 miles. So, being my own lab rat... This year, my third N24HC, it was 96 degrees all day, competitors, friends, and supervillains were dropping like flies, I did a hard 423 miles, and I had not the slightest bit of cramping. So, other factors were similar in both years: heat, hydration, electrolytes, intensity. The difference (I learned from exercise physiology) is the training (doh!). The solution to cramping, I found (in addition to training in the heat, hydration, and electrolytes), is to regularly train at or near the intensity and duration of the event so that the muscles adapt and do not fatigue so much that they cramp. It's pretty simple, a "no brainer", and it works really well. And part of the training, of course, is to build a big aerobic base first (like some in this forum are doing). Then the high mileage training becomes feasible. Then the cramps become a thing of the past.

The solution to cramping, I found (in addition to training in the heat, hydration, and electrolytes), is to regularly train at or near the intensity and duration of the event so that the muscles adapt and do not fatigue so much that they cramp.

Training for sure is best. Picklejuice is a good backup for when you haven't trained as hard as perhaps you should have! :)

ratz

Training for sure is best. Picklejuice is a good backup for when you haven't trained as hard as perhaps you should have! :)

And the 4f-training thread is there for those that can't stand the taste of pickle juice. :rolleyes: