Hoodoo 500 stage race

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Right now "All is Grand in Cruzbike Land!' Ben is strong, Maria is strong , as well as Lief.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Thanks guys - not much time to do anything but read this! Doing as well as I can for the tribe. Some eyes are opened this weekend when I pull away from the overall leaders on a low grade downhill at 168W at 35mph - they couldn't even (didn't want to work that hard so early) stay in my draft. :)

I bet they were pushing 240 or more.

There seems to be a question about my GPS - it may / may not work tomorrow. Never fear - I'm starting!

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Great job Lief hope you got a good rest. One more push today and a grand descent at the end! Thanks for racing you've done us proud.

BentAero

Sorry for not updating; there was either zero signal, I was too busy to post, or both.
Maria suffered from severe nausea during the night and there was real doubt if she'd be able to continue. After resting a few times, she's still plugging away. Simply amazing.
Currently at 370 miles with the toughest climb of the course just ahead.
Never in my life have I known such a tough person.

jond

Zen MBB Master
determined heroics displayed by everyone. truly a gutsy effort of great magnitude. respect. three cheers for the support team. three cheers for the cruzbike riders. wow fabulous effort burying themselves. salutations. respect. wish i could have been there.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
What Jon just said!
I am hoping to make the HooDoo one of my ride next year.
I also like the idea of the stage race, so you get to enjoy the beautiful scenery as you ride by it during the day.
Way to go Tribe!

BentAero

Don't know the details yet, but apparently there was an unplanned meeting between Ben's crew vehicle and Ben on the course.
Bike was damaged enough that Leif had to drive out to the scene and let Ben ride his bike in.

Maria is a bull dog and determined to finish. She's at 479 miles and can smell the finish line.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Woo-Hoo, Great ride to all the riders. Could someone give details on Bens bike issue and the hour penalties on Ben and Maria?

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Quoting Abbott: "Ben suffered some type of catastrophic mechanical failure with 30 miles to go. Lief drove back out onto the course and lent Ben his Vendetta to finish the ride."

BentAero

Wow, what an event. An incredible example of perseverance for Maria Parker. Despite a violently churning stomach, running on extremely low caloric intake for the last 250 or so miles, Maria finished. Making it to the finish was very much in doubt more than once. The fact she made it was a feat that I can't put into words.

That both Ben and Maria received time penalties was due to both crews making the same rulebook infraction. Both crews missed one of the rules covering one particular section of road, which was the crew vehicle was not allowed to 'close follow' the rider in that section. Jim (Ben's vehicle) was ahead of us and tried to warn us, but no signal.

Ben's wreck was caused by the driver of the crew vehicle falling asleep at the wheel. He was climbing about 9 mph, heard the van easing up on him and moved to the right, thinking they were passing him. The van hit him with the right front corner. Miraculously, he was only scraped and bruised. The bike is a write-off.

Re the falling asleep thing; I can certainly relate. This was the longest I've ever gone without sleep, ever. None of the three of us could relax enough to actually have real sleep. I nodded out for no more than 45 minutes in the entire 48 hour time period. Lucia and Michael about the same.
In a wonderful display of Cruzbike tribe 'above and beyond,' Leif Zimmerman who had finished his stage race event (third overall!) and should have been sleeping, drove out to the accident scene (482 mile mark) delivering his vendetta to Ben so he could finish. Ben's downtime from the wreck was about 1.5 hours. (The rules allow a bike change, but it must be the same type of bike, e.g. bent-to-bent, or df-to-df)

Congrats to the three CB riders, they all did exceptionally well during such a tough race.
20150831_112520.jpg
20150831_112345.jpg

Last edited:

Cruzbike Chris

Wow! What a great group of folks. Betcha couldn't get that from many other manufacturers. Congrats all of you. I look forward to reading the ride reports soon. Hope everybody is well. Get some much needed rest and thanks again Gary for keeping us on the edge of our seat for the last few days. Remarkable how well everyone works together in this tribe.
Just awe inspiring to me for sure.