Hoodoo 500 stage race

BentAero

A few more random photos to share. The off-the-bike photos are from Snow Canyon just outside St. George.

20150829_185616-1_zpswdlg7yt7.jpg

20150831_112546_zps8i8cgggz.jpg

20150831_112541_zpsaa7qeywh.jpg

20150831_184759_zpsfr8j7joj.jpg

20150831_185941_zpsgits2p8p.jpg

20150831_185153_zps120savbt.jpg

20150831_191211_zpsdewslwln.jpg

20150831_190751_zpsxphhvzmo.jpg

20150831_192945_zpsntx5tedx.jpg

20150831_190246_zpsxcrl3bb9.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Well crap I guess that means it's time to get the GPX files from Lief to load on the virtual trainer for the winter. At this stage not sure the knees make me much more that a match to burn early on cause after 150 miles I'll be in the autobusse at the back; but that time of the year should work for my schedule; and I might happen to know there there is a large support vehicle that can haul 3-6 people and carry Qty 4 Vendetta's....At the very least I should be available for mechanic and driver duties. So add my vote in support of the idea.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
I'm still finishing up vacation so computer time is, by design, short - but I just read through all of these posts and want to mention a few things.
1) TRPlay is absolutely right about the stage race highlighting the strengths of a bike over the ability of a rider (and crew) to overcome sleep deprivation.
2) The Cruzbike tribe** closed the joint at the awards breakfast - they pretty much had to push us out the door, the staff was breaking down tables around us. Which means that having the time around the table each night of the stage race would be good for all the catching up in person we need to do. I didn't get NEAR enough time to talk with Gary or Ben - it was great to meet you both!
3) Glad you guys got the time to see Snow Canyon on Monday. I recognize some of the formations (been there a couple times now).

I've got a wing-dinger of a story to write on the HooDoo 2015 but it'll have to wait a while longer.
Thanks for all the props and cheers and dreamtime. ;)

**by the way, for the record, apparently old fashioned riders think that the recumbent tribe is "like a cult"....their words not mine....so we have to work on our tribe branding some more. :)

Lief

Guru Schmuru
Well crap I guess that means it's time to get the GPX files from Lief to load on the virtual trainer for the winter.
I looked and Poweragent doesn't export GPX.
And when I tried to export as TCX the application ran out of memory (and failed).

BUT...
HooDoo staff provide routes on RideWithGPS and they have an export to GPX.
Stage 1 - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5022521
Mile 184-190something is hard, it's what really hammered Rich.

Stage 2 - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5022700
Authentic 2015 HooDoo experience (optional) at mile 100 engage your brake halfway to simulate 15-20mph headwind until 128m release it until mile 140 - then engage the brake again until the end at 171.
Authentic 2015 HooDoo experience (bonus): at mile 125 fill your room with about 10,000 mosquitos, keep a fan on you but invite your husband/wife/significant other in to stand near by for about 10 minutes to bring you a water bottle.

Stage 3 - http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5022728
Authentic 2015 experience (optional): start at 7:AM, with an AC unit keeping the room at about 50F till mile 40 (hour 6) - wear a bandana over your mouth for the last two hours to simulate low oxygen levels and then blast a radio with static, grip the frame tightly with your thighs, keep them immobile the whole time, and squeeze the brakes off and on as hard as you can for about 40 min.
Then start pedaling again at 90 rpm. Expect pain.
(bonus) - when you are about done, say 40 min from the end, take and start a bonfire behind your head to raise the temperature about 10-15 degrees.
(Ben Tomblin option) - with 40 miles to go - stop riding very abruptly - take your bike all apart - stand around in your cleats for about 90 minute and then install your wife's bike on the trainer, install your own pedals naturally, but other than that don't adjust it at all, and then ride it hard for another 2 hours.

BentAero

Authentic 2015 HooDoo experience (bonus): at mile 125 fill your room with about 10,000 mosquitos,

Omg, it's funny now, but it sure wasn't at the time.
At the far end of a large water reservoir/lake there was some sort of small (50'x100'?) concrete water retention pit near the road. Apparently, the water in there was stagnant.
We, like many others, stopped at the pull-out just before the stop sign next to this pit. We all jump out and begin preparation for Maria's arrival.
Moments later I look at my hand and there are four mosquitos on the back of my hand! What the? Mosquitos? Here? In the desert?
Seconds later Maria rolls in just as we all realize we've landed right in the middle of an Amazon jungle. There are literally thousands of mosquitos attacking all four of us. Instant panic mode.
Though Maria needed a rest, it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this wasn't the place for it.
We sent her down the road as quick as we could, grabbed all the stuff and threw it in the truck and beat-feet down the road. I think we were still killing mosquitos in the Suburban an hour later. It was by far the most bizarre moment of the race.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Sign me up!!!!
No need to trick me - seems like an incredible event not to miss again - I already have the event on my calendar for 2016!
We just need a bunch of bungie cords to hook us all together! :)

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Props to you Larry for stepping up. Looks like we're getting off to a slow start. Hopefully this thing will get some traction at some point!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I would like to throw an idea out which takes advantage of the race and highlight the strengths of the Cruzbike. Next year field a team of Cruzbikes in the 500 stage race.

Probably should start a new thread specifically around such an effort.

First thing would be layout the dates; and the positions to fill including riders and support staff and see what happens. I believe the dates will work for the wife and I for rider and crew but getting some concrete stuff outline makes it easier to start planning.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
You are correct and I had planned on doing something along those lines. I was hoping that Cruzbike would provide an official viewpoint on the concept before jumping into the deep end.

Last edited: