Houston Commuter

Maria Parker

Administrator
Here is my conversion from last summer. I have since put about 2,000km on her in daily commutes across the center of Houston (a flat, wet and muddy city).

17633_10151722910762004_58920731_n.jpg

182670_10151722913932004_1421009803_n.jpg

I used a Mongoose Women's 26" Impasse as the donor. I had a local bike shop pull the loose bearing bottom bracket fro the donor and install a cartridge bracket into the conversion. I used a 22.2mm Black Ops "Lay Back" chromoly seat post w/ shim to get the seat back as far as possible (I am 195cm tall).

I upgraded the pedals to Sunlight cruisers (nice & wide for my big feet), and the tires to Contenental Gatorskins. Today I added an EVO MassLoad kickstand to replace a Sunlight double the scraped the pavement on every tight turn.

This is an amazing bike for the money. :)

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
That's a very nice looking

That's a very nice looking bike. The double kick stand is a good idea as I've had issues with my Sofrider and a single kick stand. And for wet riding, fenders are a very good thing. :D

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi Ak-tux,
Long time no see.

Hi Ak-tux,

Long time no see. :)

It's a facebook picture. You may have to be logged into facebook to see it.

Cheers,
Charles

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Thanks Charles!  
Nothing new

Thanks Charles!
Nothing new for me to post of late but maybe I should record a small video of my riding and share
shades_smile.gif

Kenneth Jessett

Very clever work milcrow, is

Very clever work milcrow, is there any chance of seeing it up close? I'm often on the Terry Hershey/Bush trails, do you ride there by any chance?

billyk

Guru
which kickstand is that?

Another CZ rider interested in a 2-leg kickstand.

What brand is yours? Is it heavy? What's the distance from the mount to the ground? How stable is the bike when parked on the kickstand? Any tendency for the front wheel to flop around?

Thanks ... BK

Jake514

milcrow,
Very nice.  Did you

milcrow,

Very nice. Did you do the conversion work yourself or at the LBS? Are there any local Houston shops that work on Cruzbikes?

Jake514

cplager:

I thought the conversion would take a lot longer than the 1:27 it took Charles!

Seriously - thanks for the informative video and conversion information. I have much to learn and decide.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
The quickest I did a

The quickest I did a conversion was doing a second on a frame I'd already done one on. Essentially it is stripping and rebuilding the bike. It took me 3 hours as I recall.

Houston

Hi there

I think I saw you near the Menil the other day. I am really interested in building/buying a bike like yours. Any tips? How much would it cost me? Which shop do you reccomend tkaing it to put it together?

thanks!