How bikes stay upright

Jim Parker

Cruzbike, Inc. Director
Staff member
Hi Fred,
That's a really interesting video and quite timely... the take-home message being that the factors that affect the stability/self-correction of a bicycle are a lot more complicated than just the trail and head tube angle. We've been experimenting with a variety of steering dampeners to assess how they affect the riding characteristics of our bicycles. Because we have more mass centered in front of the steering axis than a standard bike, "wheel-flop" is exaggerated. Therefore it may be beneficial to counteract that extra mass with a lightweight dampener.

Maria is sold on the idea, and has been riding around our neighborhood no-hands like never before.
Thanks for sharing.

Jim

jond

Zen MBB Master
very interesting video . not going to volunteer to push my v down a hill riderless though. felt sorry for that bike ha ha.

a common thread seems to be the initial steep learning curve to riding a cruzbike especially if the bb is high and no previous recumbent bicycle experience. the temptation to try a steering dampener is strong in a search to be able to ride with confidence is a short time. however once riding with the necessary required experience under the belt (a part of the rewarding journey from carpark to open road some find unable to complete) the vendetta feels a natural "part of you" like any other bike only faster infinitely more comfortable and importantly much much safer. so if a steering dampener could assist the learning phase without unduly adding to safety concerns/ or frankly ill conceived ignorant notions of perception then it is a worthwhile inclusion. i am not sure if i will ever be able to ride no hands but see the benefits of being able to do so. rather i accept the "handling characteristics" as they stand for me knowing the situation is fluid and on the improve still with over 4000klm ridden. the vendetta just keeps on giving getting better and better. for me my bike handling skills are as good now on the vendetta as my DF skillset. pehaps one day with a twinkle in my toes , a deep breath, a wide berth trust and hope in my heart i may release the handlebar.

It's really good news that you guys are experimenting.

Another possibility is a nice stable trike. I've seen some interesting vendetta videos..

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Even after three or four months with my Q451, I was still seriously considering a steering dampener, especially on significant downhills or when pushing hard on the flats. By six months, I no longer felt the need for it. The Silvio 1.5 was so much more stable for me from the start, that a dampener for riding was never a consideration. I would be interested in a lightweight dampener, though, for the convenience of not having the wheel flop when walking or parking the bikes.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
Hi Fred,
That's a really interesting video and quite timely... the take-home message being that the factors that affect the stability/self-correction of a bicycle are a lot more complicated than just the trail and head tube angle. We've been experimenting with a variety of steering dampeners to assess how they affect the riding characteristics of our bicycles. Because we have more mass centered in front of the steering axis than a standard bike, "wheel-flop" is exaggerated. Therefore it may be beneficial to counteract that extra mass with a lightweight dampener.

Maria is sold on the idea, and has been riding around our neighborhood no-hands like never before.
Thanks for sharing.

Jim
A real steering damper/boom restraint (as opposed to the one I bodged up for the start of my tour) would be an instant sell for this customer...

Being able to pick up the bicycle without getting damaged or having the bike damaged (i.e. without the front flopping onto me or itself), or being able to park it up against most any wall are important for my day-to-day use of the bike.