How do people safely lock their Cruzbikes?

Rampa

Guru
I eyeball Q's once-in-a-while for commuting and stuff, and wonder how people secure both wheels and frame when there is no triangulated tubing section to put a leg of a u-lock through?

McWheels

Off the long run
It's weird enough few will think about it. I go through the front wheel and over the boom, failing that the chainstay. Having said that, I rarely lock it. If you can ride away with it, good luck to you.

Rampa

Guru
The T50 with some security bolts looks pretty lockable. Here in Chico it is necessary to lock up securely, with U-locks. I use two almost always. I did have a bike on a huge cable lock taken last year. They often are walked away or thrown in a truck here.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have an Abus fold-up lock which I put through the front wheel and round the boom and the bike rack. The back wheel has a hub dynamo which is not quick-release.

Locks are a nuisance.

benphyr

Guru-me-not
It's the locking it to the bike that is the issue. If there is an extra post to lock it to, then no problem. I often just capture the rear wheel on my Sofrider with a U-lock through the rear triangle of the swing-arm. I suppose all those rack mounting points would allow for some kind of metal loop to put a lock through.

I'm sure a reasonable way can be found, one way or another.

The weirdness of it certainly helps, but I'm in a college town with a very big bike-stripping problem. I always lock with two locks!
Hi Rampa,

Maybe I am missing what you are meaning but here goes:

I think that for the most part the Moving Bottom Bracket (MBB) format causes enough confusion in the general bike population to cause a thief to move on to something else. (Unless you have wheels that scream out $1000) the uncommon appearance of the bike pretty much takes care of it. I wouldn't recommend leaving unlocked but I personally would only worry about locking the rear wheel (as long as the bike is locked) on university campus or high risk location. You could always use one of those special quick releases from DT Swiss where the quick release lever comes off or one of the (piq?) regular axle (non quick release) that have a specially shaped nut.

Rampa

Guru
I'm thinking a bolted-on metal bracket of sorts. I think some security bolts, or glued-in ball bearings in the allen bolt would make it non-removable. A luggage rack could actually be the metal loop.

This issue is also true of my other (rear drive) recumbent. But I might just have to let it go for a Q45 now.