How to be safe from....?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
As many of you know I live in a small town located in Northern California called Redding with a population of about one hundred thousand. It's a beautiful town with lots of outdoor activities, cycling being one of them. Folks drive to Redding for a cycling vacation. But this sort of thing has become common now. Our city managers don't have a clue how to protect us, or what to do. They have no experience in this area.

Anyway, a cyclist was riding his bike on the Redding river trail in a very visible well traveled area. He was attacked from behind by two young men in an attempt to steal his bike. There has recently been several other attacks and/or robberies on the trails, one with a guy.

How do you ride safe?

Below is the story:
On July 19, 2016 at 4:39 pm, officers responded to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon on the trail system on the north side of highway 44 near Sundial Bridge Drive. The victim, Daniel Bradley 47 years of Redding, told officers he was riding home from work on the trail when he approached two young males. One male was on a black mountain bike and was armed with a stick or possibly a shovel. He was described as a white male 17 to 19 years of age wearing black pants, a black tank top with a black backpack. The other male was on foot and was described as a white male 17 to 19 years of age wearing black shorts and a white tank top under a black tank top.

As the victim rode past the two suspects, the suspect on the bicycle struck the victim on the head with the stick or shovel. This caused the victim to crash his bicycle. The two suspects then began kicking and striking the victim with sticks and their feet while trying to take the victims bicycle. The victim managed to get to his feet and retained possession of his bicycle. A citizen witnessed the event and stopped to help the victim. The citizen was identified as Jeremiah Banister 43 year of Redding. He approached the suspects and began telling them to leave the victim alone and to leave. The suspects were unsuccessful in the robbery attempt and fled east on the trail heading towards Hilltop Dr.

Officers searched the area but were unable to locate the suspects. The victim sustained several non-life threatening injuries as a result of the attack. Anyone with information as to the identity of the suspects is encouraged to call the Redding Police Department.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Rick this is where video cameras front and rear would help identify the attackers, and hopefully if the cameras are prominent, then it would be a deterrent to the attackers!
As long as the attackers were NOT successful!

And riding a non Carbon Fibre DF bicycle, AND a bike that looks hard to ride for the second attacker would reduce the risk!

Last edited:

trplay

Zen MBB Master
You ask how you can be safe riding in California? I don't think you can ride and be safe in California. The culture and environment pretty much make it a high risk area.

pedlpadl

I don't normally take any extra precautions. However, if I regularly rode where this type of crime was common, I would probably wear a helmet camera and bring some sort of equalizer, like pepper spray.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
I don't think this is a "California" thing. Attacks can occur anywhere.

Our local marathon used to be laid out to run thru the town in a 'north-south' arrangement (and many of us cyclists use that route to ride the rest of the year), until someone complained that it did not represent a true slice of the city's demographic. So...they went for a more east-west route this year that included the poorer and more downtrodden neighborhoods. Much fear ensued...more police protection, etc. The marathon went off without a problem...but very few of us have chosen to alter the course of our usual ride (including me).

I try to ride 'aware'...that is, I think about attack scenarios (frankly, more about dogs) and potential problem areas. I do a lot of research when choosing a new ride and often drive the course first. Fortunately, I've been here for 50 yrs and know most of the areas to avoid...but like I said, attack can come anywhere at anytime. I don't ride in fear...but I do keep an eye out!

I do think that the oddity of our bike is off-putting. They aren't going to jump on and ride away...but that may not be something an attacker is actually thinking about until after the fact...

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
The thing is, this is new to us Redding residents and we don't know exactly how to deal with these kinds of situations. It's just recently that we we are being exposed to these kind of crimes.

The location of this attack is the downtown river trail. It's a safe place to walk or ride. For kids and seniors. Our biggest in town tourist attraction, turtle bay, the sundial bridge, etc. School field trips. If this location can't be be safe, then there is no place that will be safe. The town residents are in an uproar because this is becoming common (especially this year), unfortunately. What people have dubbed as "tweaker homeless people" (ex-cons drug addicts living on the streets) population is 1000 fold compared to a few years ago. There are a lot of speculation and theories as to why, some are pretty far fetched and no proof. But we are all scratching heads wondering where did they come from and why all of a sudden.

Just last month an 80 year old senior was taking her early morning walk, as she has done for many years. I know of her and see her quite often walking the river trail. She's not your standard 80 year old. Because of resent occurrences, she carries on her pepper spray and a taser. Anyway, she was attacked, hit from behind with a 2x4 or something, knocked down to the ground and then kicked numerous times. She didn't see it coming.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
The thing is, this is new to us Redding residents and we don't know exactly how to deal with these kinds of situations. It's just recently that we we are being exposed to these kind of crimes.

The location of this attack is the downtown river trail. It's a safe place to walk or ride. For kids and seniors. Our biggest in town tourist attraction, turtle bay, the sundial bridge, etc. School field trips. If this location can't be be safe, then there is no place that will be safe. The town residents are in an uproar because this is becoming common (especially this year), unfortunately. What people have dubbed as "tweaker homeless people" (ex-cons drug addicts living on the streets) population is 1000 fold compared to a few years ago. There are a lot of speculation and theories as to why, some are pretty far fetched and no proof. But we are all scratching heads wondering where did they come from and why all of a sudden.

Just last month an 80 year old senior was taking her early morning walk, as she has done for many years. I know of her and see her quite often walking the river trail. She's not your standard 80 year old. Because of resent occurrences, she carries on her pepper spray and a taser. Anyway, she was attacked, hit from behind with a 2x4 or something, knocked down to the ground and then kicked numerous times. She didn't see it coming.

This is a failure to observe your surrounding. They is no reason a thug should be able to sneak up on you, they aren't exactly trained in the art of stealth. Part of the problem is victims making it too easy. I surprise people all the time while running or riding with zero effort to hide my presence. On the other hand I'm always aware of someone approaching my six by sound or a glance. Don't listen to music too loudly and never in both ears.

I greet everyone I pass with at least a quick hello, I notice I'm among only like 10% of people on paved bike paths that does this. Maybe greeting a potential attacker will throw them off and point out your awareness of them. If someone plans to attack you there it's much your going to do to make them not try. What you can do it be aware and prepared to defend yourself.

Riding around naked is the only proven way to keep hoodlums from attacking you. They have a pronounced fear of the strange and nude.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
This is a failure to observe your surrounding. They is no reason a thug should be able to sneak up on you, they aren't exactly trained in the art of stealth. Part of the problem is victims making it too easy. I surprise people all the time while running or riding with zero effort to hide my presence. On the other hand I'm always aware of someone approaching my six by sound or a glance. Don't listen to music too loudly and never in both ears.

I greet everyone I pass with at least a quick hello, I notice I'm among only like 10% of people on paved bike paths that does this. Maybe greeting a potential attacker will throw them off and point out your awareness of them. If someone plans to attack you there it's much your going to do to make them not try. What you can do it be aware and prepared to defend yourself.

Riding around naked is the only proven way to keep hoodlums from attacking you. They have a pronounced fear of the strange and nude.
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. But what I'm trying to say is this is new here, and we have never had to beware of the surrounding because it "was" unknown or unheard of.

I for one try to completely be aware of what's in my surroundings, I'm used to it riding a recumbent on the streets and congested MUPs, but for other reasons than to be on the lookout for thugs. But many folks here are unaware, but I think with these happenings, they will need to learn to be more cautious and aware.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
That's a major quandary for a lot of folks now-a-days. Meanwhile these same people make laws favoring the criminal and standing ones ground more difficult. But with that said, a couple of thugs with 2x4's along a bike path shouldn't be too hard a problem to fix.
You would think. Our city managers and RPD can't figure out how. These people live off the grid and disappear into the woods.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. But what I'm trying to say is this is new here, and we have never had to beware of the surrounding because it "was" unknown or unheard of.

I for one try to completely be aware of what's in my surroundings, I'm used to it riding a recumbent on the streets and congested MUPs, but for other reasons than to be on the lookout for thugs. But many folks here are unaware, but I think with these happenings, they will need to learn to be more cautious and aware.

The strong or evil will always prey on the weak and naive. Don't be weak or naive and the strong and evil will always choose another easier target.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
When I ride my bike to someone's house and stress to secure it inside and they say don't worry it's a safe neighborhood. All neighborhoods were safe at one point and a thief doesn't rob in their own run down hood, they venture into nicer areas with better scores. Don't be that first easy victim, think ahead.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Get up early and hurl your bike down the street so fast that they don't get a chance to swing the bat. The other day I got chased by 4 big dog's ... Thank the Lord the V flies

LMT

Reading this from someone over the giant pond, it would appear that this is a thing which is largely confined to bike trails?

If this is the case then this would be the reason why this does not occur that often in the UK, what is almost certain I think is that we tend to ride more on the road then on cycle trails/cyclepaths. In the UK we simply don't have the space to support that kind of infrastructure. What is it like riding on the road compared to the trail? Is riding on the road illegal in some states and what is the driving like?

I for one don't get on with cyclepaths and prefer to ride on the road.

To answer the OP I would agree with Jason and say it's more about common sense, failing this, have a browse for an old thread over on BROL where they discuss the best firearms to carry when out riding!! I kid you not.:eek:

hoyden

it's more about common sense, failing this, have a browse for an old thread over on BROL where they discuss the best firearms to carry when out riding!! I kid you not.:eek:
Even if you don't carry the training is worth the price; knowing how to spot trouble, making casual eye contact, learning how to stay aware of your surroundings.' There are no guarantee you can stay completely safe but you will be ahead off the game and maybe a less appealing victim. Doesn't hurt to understand self-defense law and learn a new skill/hobby.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
Even if you don't carry the training is worth the price; knowing how to spot trouble, making casual eye contact, learning how to stay aware of your surroundings.' There are no guarantee you can stay completely safe but you will be ahead off the game and maybe a less appealing victim. Doesn't hurt to understand self-defense law and learn a new skill/hobby.

Watching a persons body English is like watch a stopped cars front wheel. I watch it closely as you approach for any signs of intent until you are clear and free.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Reading this from someone over the giant pond, it would appear that this is a thing which is largely confined to bike trails?

If this is the case then this would be the reason why this does not occur that often in the UK, what is almost certain I think is that we tend to ride more on the road then on cycle trails/cyclepaths. In the UK we simply don't have the space to support that kind of infrastructure. What is it like riding on the road compared to the trail? Is riding on the road illegal in some states and what is the driving like?

I for one don't get on with cyclepaths and prefer to ride on the road.

To answer the OP I would agree with Jason and say it's more about common sense, failing this, have a browse for an old thread over on BROL where they discuss the best firearms to carry when out riding!! I kid you not.:eek:
These type of crimes were not on the bike paths until recently. They are everywhere, and now on the bike paths, where it was thought you could ride safely. Cyclist drive up from the San Francisco Bay Area and even out of state to ride our beautiful river trails. I use them as junctions or easy transitions from one part of Redding to another to avoid highly congested streets, as does most other cyclists. And sometimes for a leisurely ride with my wife. Most of my mileage is on surface streets, county roads, perfectly legal, fun, and beautiful.

As a telco engineer I worked Los Angeles, Oakland, and San Francisco for many years and learned to spot the tweakers. Here in Redding it's same old MO. However, there were times when working on foot out in the field, in very rough neighborhoods, I was sure I would be attacked by the guy walking straight towards me, he had that look of trouble with a very angry face and penetrating eyes. I was on my guard and ready, but then he just brushed by me and kept on walking. I leaned a lot in those days. So no, I personally don't trust anybody that don't look right. But here is the thing, it's now so common to see these people on the trails and streets, probably most are benign, and mean no harm...and then there are those that aren't. I know there are looking for easy targets, 80 year old's, two against one, etc. But there may be a time when I confronted and am not lucky enough to be up to speed, or can't see around the upcoming corner, and may have to stand my ground or submit. In some case pepper spay may be the answer, if you can get to it fast enough...fast enough is the key. But from what I heard by other people commenting on their personal attacks, is the attacker(s) were quick at I and had it planned out in an organized way...the element of surprise.
Watching a persons body English is like watch a stopped cars front wheel. I watch it closely as you approach for any signs of intent until you are clear and free.
This may not be enough, and may be too little too late to derail an attack every time. Like I said I worked in some rough neighborhoods and use an eagle eye of diligence always, it's just built into me over the years. But it may not get me out of the woods should a situation comes to hand.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Does Redding have any cops on bicycles, who could patrol the bike trails, and deter the criminals, so they go to an area of easier pickings.

http://ipmba.org/blog/comments/10-advantages-of-bicycle-patrol
10 advantages of police on bicycles

Have any neighboring towns had similar crime problems, and what did they do to fix the problem?
Have their ex problems, become your new problems?
This is the problem, the city says it has no money to pay for full time bike cops. The cops are out on the trail maybe a couple of time a year.

"Have any neighboring towns had similar crime problems, and what did they do to fix the problem?" I sure they are having similar problems. I don't know.

"Have their ex problems, become your new problems?" Maybe?!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Could any 2 of the car based cops become 2 bicycle cops as the running costs of a bicycle is a LOT less than a car!

http://www.policebikestore.com/

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...d/news-story/63ae1b2ee465ec8f282d6df113b31435

Down Under, they has been an explosion of them, as their mobility in the CBD, and Tourists areas have caught a LOT of criminals unaware of them until too late! AND the tourists love them, especially for selfies!

And at major sporting events, like the famous Tour Down Under, and Clipsal 500 V8 car race, they AND Ambulance officers on bikes, can get to an accident or Crime very fast through 1,000s of spectators.

https://www.sja.org.uk/sja/about-us/latest-news/cycle-response-team.aspx
UK Bike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycle_responder

Last edited: