How to be safe from....?

1happyreader

zen/child method
a thief doesn't rob in their own run down hood, they venture into nicer areas with better scores
oh so very true. A bus or train ride can get you to the land of plenty, and unless you really stick out from the areas norm , who looks twice at a teenager on a 10speed ?

1happyreader

zen/child method
This is a failure to observe your surrounding.
OMG yes. In jest we deride the MUP (Massively or Mostly Unaware People ) but its true.
I cringe when I walk around the block with my 26 yr old suburban raised son.
He barely looks past his feet, never scans, he is prime meat.
The time to pause and even reverse course is half a block away, you gotta see farther ahead if you are looking for trouble.
Easier to be in that mindset in an urban area, than on an idyllic trail.

Suz

Wow Rick, that is really horrible. Sounds like a City leader issue for sure. They need to step up their research on what works in other cities and apply it quickly. They don't have a choice but to find the money for extra police or it will only be harder to squelch the problem as time goes by. Ya I agree to watch your environment but that's not going to stop the problem.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I remember last year visiting Amsterdam. It has one of the highest theft rates of bikes in the world. Not surprisingly because there are so many bikes. I remember watching one cyclists cycling away towing a specialized bike with his other hand. I couldn't help but think that he was very proficient in doing this. My advise would be to have an emergency emobiliser on the bike so at least nobody could run off with it without your permission.

A bit like a dead man's handle on a train. That would be cool.

When you rent a bike in Amsterdam they give you a bike with a twin lock!

When I am on my V... I stop for 10 to 15 minutes. That bike is somewhat more difficult to cycle away with. Certainly it's impossible to tow and what with the funny shaped pedals and very low Centre of gravity I have some degree of confidence that no one is going to take it.

No respectful yob is going to get up at 8am just to steal a weird looking bike that nobody else has... Right?

If they do... I wouldn't hesitate in buying the latest model. To me it would be a sign of God to upgrade.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
This is a failure to observe your surrounding. They is no reason a thug should be able to sneak up on you, they aren't exactly trained in the art of stealth. Part of the problem is victims making it too easy.

It's wise to consider every possible angle.
However:
Be careful when you blame the victim, which is how I read this.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Wow Rick, that is really horrible. Sounds like a City leader issue for sure. They need to step up their research on what works in other cities and apply it quickly. They don't have a choice but to find the money for extra police or it will only be harder to squelch the problem as time goes by. Ya I agree to watch your environment but that's not going to stop the problem.
Exactly my thoughts. There may be a point of no return, we may be there now, I just don't know, but if they don't do something soon, we are going to loose. Methford Or was a wonderful city at one time. We are strarting to mirror them now. That bad for our economy.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I'm happy to report RPD apprehended one of the suspects and has leads on the second. What I'm disappointed about is these were kids.

From RPD
The Redding Police Department arrested a juvenile today for assaulting Daniel BRADLEY on the river trail yesterday. The juvenile admitted to committing the assault when confronted by an Officer. The juvenile stated the motive for the assault was to rob the victim of his bicycle. The juvenile was arrested for Assault with a Deadly Weapon, Conspiracy to commit a felony, and Attempted Robbery. The juvenile was booked at Shasta County Juvenile Hall. His name is not being released due to the fact he is a juvenile.

A second juvenile suspect has been identified and Police are actively looking for him now. This juvenile is facing the same charges as above.

Cruzbiker

I am really sad reading this thread; I didn’t expect this to happen in bike trails in America.

I live in Rio de Janeiro and this also happens on our bike trails. There are police officers patrolling them, but you can not have an officer at every yard. You have to be alert all the time.

NEVER react to an assault. They have the advantage of surprise and most of the time are on drugs. Your life is not worth a bicycle or a cell phone. Do not carry a gun. Can you imagine yourself shooting and killing a human being because of a bicycle? Get insurance for your bicycle.

As for the root problem, violence escalation everywhere, even in small towns like Redding, I do not know the answer(s).

trplay

Zen MBB Master
I have found the solution! Hire these guys and Reddings problems go away. I'm still trying to get my head around what is happening. Where did the cyclist go? Anyhoo, whatever is happening you have to admire these guys skills.
video here.