How to precisely adjust boom position

For weeks tried adjusting my book position on the side of the road. Many times I'd lose hold of the boom and it would slip. I'd lose track of where I used to have the boom so I'd have to guess where it used to be.

Solution: place a square of electrical tape next to each boom clamp. Before each adjustment, decide how much you want to adjust. If you decide one millimeter, move the tape one millimeter away from the clamp. Now loosen the bolt, slide the boom until the tape is up against the clamp, tighten the bolt, and you're done!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For weeks tried adjusting my book position on the side of the road. Many times I'd lose hold of the boom and it would slip. I'd lose track of where I used to have the boom so I'd have to guess where it used to be.

Solution: place a square of electrical tape next to each boom clamp. Before each adjustment, decide how much you want to adjust. If you decide one millimeter, move the tape one millimeter away from the clamp. Now loosen the bolt, slide the boom until the tape is up against the clamp, tighten the bolt, and you're done!
I think I have had a piece of electrical tape on every boom for every mile since the first time the clamp wasn't tight and the boom moved mid ride.

Never thought to mention it... Good on ya for doing that.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I think I have had a piece of electrical tape on every boom for every mile since the first time the clamp wasn't tight and the boom moved mid ride.

Never thought to mention it... Go on ya for doing that.
Yep, same here...for me like every recumbent I've ever owned. I just recently removed the piece from the V, but that's ok, cause the residue still remains:D:D:D.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Blue painter's masking tape for me... it works well with the yellow paint and leaves less residue than electrical tape.
And I've trimmed the ragged edges off because that's how crazy I am.
Oh yeah: I've done this for years too... in case the boom slips.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
I have a ring of red electrical tape around my boom for exactly that reason (not to mention that it matches the other red accents on the bike).

ratz

Blue painter's masking tape for me... it works well with the yellow paint and leaves less residue than electrical tape.
And I've trimmed the ragged edges off because that's how crazy I am.
Oh yeah: I've done this for years too... in case the boom slips.

so I'm not weird for triming the piece electrical tape so it's only 4mm wide lengthwise?

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Only cheapskates use electrical tape, masking tape, and Scotch tape.
Pros who value their lives use reflective tape.

(I'm a cheapskate.)

ratz

Doesn't tape add drag unless you chamfer the tape edges? I'm thinking that if you taper the back edge of the tape to an angle of no more than 15 degrees, it would minimize boundary layer separation... ;)
Nailpolish to feather the edge and create a continuous surface.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Which tape is the best? Do some brands have a thicker layer of glue? Is it better to stretch the tape as you apply it?

Another project for the Oslund Research Institute.

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Use one of your old steel ball bearings to burnish golf ball like divots into both the leading and trailing edges
of the tape.
Shhh: Do not tell anyone.
-Or I KEEL yoo.

ratz

Which tape is the best? Do some brands have a thicker layer of glue? Is it better to stretch the tape as you apply it?

Another project for the Oslund Research Institute.

Actually that's a good serious question in the fun.... Scotch Brand Eletrical tape, the most expensive version they make is really really good for taping handle bar wrap and for taping on wheel covers for aero wheel. It's sticky, reusable and very maliable. Until you use some you can't appreciate the difference. I have 10 rolls of the crap stuff in the garage for general use; and 1 roll of scotch in my tool kit hidden at the bottom so the kids don't use it.

SamP

Guru
Actually that's a good serious question in the fun.... Scotch Brand Eletrical tape, the most expensive version they make is really really good for taping handle bar wrap and for taping on wheel covers for aero wheel. It's sticky, reusable and very maliable. Until you use some you can't appreciate the difference. I have 10 rolls of the crap stuff in the garage for general use; and 1 roll of scotch in my tool kit hidden at the bottom so the kids don't use it.

3M makes a whole bunch (around 20) kinds of Scotch-branded electrical tape, so which one? I suspect Super 33+ or Super 88 though.