HPV races at Northbrook Velodrome

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
This past Saturday and Sunday. July 25-26. Northbrook IL
Daryl Hanger and I where there on our V's.
Hope you have a good excuse Eric!! - Ratz - your excused - but barely.. :)

Here is a link to all the results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PsoRGFFAyRbVol7qUkqJ-rlQFFscX30PxE7qUgtx96s/pubhtml#

Good showing for the Cruzbike clan: I won the 50 lap unfaired race, Daryl placed 7th.
Speeds listed are on the low side because you are only given the distance of the inside of the lower black line which is 382 meters, when in reality you are riding much farther due to all the passing. (My speed was listed as 27.67, but Garmin had me at 28.0)

My Garmin Vectors still showing only 200 watts, which just does not seem right for 28mph. I recently saw a video where someone compared them to Stages and Garmin was consistently 20-30 watts lower. That is how they compare against my KICKR power readings, so I don't feel too bad now.

Here's is my video of the 50 lap race, and no laughing at my sorry start. The finish is what counts, right!

Daryl also rode his Trike and cleaned up really well in that class!

I placed second in the 1 Hr TT. Lost by a wheel. Should have just rode a lot harder (as this 1 hr TT ended up being right at the same pace that I can ride for 3+ hours), but the temptation to just ride hard enough to stay up front is very great. Maybe next time! :)

I am compiling the videos from the 200M flying sprint, the 1K TT, and the 1 Hour TT and will post when done.
Hopefully Daryl will post some pictures. I will if I can find some.

Last edited:

Alan W Dolbeer

Amazing video and performance Larry. I saw 221bpm HR at one point. That is one high rev'ing ticker you got there. Some of the passing seemed really close with other riders. Were you alarmed at any point?
Same 88mm CF wheels front and rear? Just curious.

LarryOz

I saw 221bpm HR at one point. That is one high rev'ing ticker you got there. Some of the passing seemed really close with other riders. Were you alarmed at any point?
Same 88mm CF wheels front and rear? Just curious.
Thanks Alan - Something is either wrong with my heart, or my HR monitor. When it was showing 221, it did not feel that high.
If I look the data (https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/844515146) you can see where it "suddenly" goes way up, then back down again. Several times actually.
So - not really sure what to make of it. Will probably go get a stress test done just to be sure.
Never alarmed about passing, but they might have been? :)

BentAero

Awesome video!!! What a great finish. Reminded me of NASCAR restrictor-plate racing at Talledega -oh the strategy!
Good job Larry!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Larry if you are using a Garmin heart rate monitor with two press stud connectors to the strap, buy a Polar heart rate strap and your sudden high heart rate readings will go away, as it did for me!

You must have had a LOT of water in your tyres to create a huge flywheel for such a slow start, but once up to speed you just kept going strong, and just steamed rolled the others!!!

I think your Garmin Vectors are reading WAY low as using a excel spreadsheet with a CdA of 0.246 the power required for 28.8 MPH is 400 watts, not 200 watts, and 0.085 CdA for 200 W at 28.8 mph

LarryOz

Thanks everyone!
Here is the next video: 200M sprint - flying start - not my best moment - but I will be the first to admit I am not a sprinter!

LarryOz

Slim- Yes - I have been complaining about these pedals reading low for some time. Back when I got them, then seemed to match the KICKR really well.
I have read other posts of people claiming the same thing. at least 20-30 watts lower than stages, etc.
I know there is a rather "cumbersome" calibration technique involving hanging weights from the pedals, etc. I just never wanted to bother with it. I'll have to give Garmin a call "again", as my 1 year will be up at the end of Sept.
Last year, I could also ride 200watts with a pulse of around 150bpm. Now 200 watts puts me up to 170's and think I am fitter than I was when I could ride 200 at 150bpm.
It just does not make sense.
Thanks for the suggestion on the Polar monitor too

LarryOz

OK - More videos from Northbrook:
You can tell I am not really a sprinter, but I gave it my best shot!

The 1 Kilometer Time Trial:

Here is my video of the 1 hour TT at Northbrook. This was pretty funny (ood).
About 2 minutes before the end:
They never gave us the "white" flag: telling us there was one lap top go: They just stuck out the checked flag (just as we passed by). Dennis and I where duking it out a the end, and we both took off in a wild sprint for the last lap (which was really the last lap "plus one". Per the video you can't really see who won that sprint. but I am pretty sure Dennis had me by about 1/2 tire width. But it did not really matter because the race was actually over a lap before that!

The 1 Hour Time Trial:

jond

Zen MBB Master
thanks for sharing larry. awesome meep meep speed and videos well done. exciting stuff. makes going around in circles suddenly very thrilling . wow .

did you use round rings?????
how much faster are the fairing guys?
very obvious who is fit and who is not..... except for the DF guy of course heh heh.
the power meter issue is frustrating. you need it to be consistent. between bikes too.
my second power meter seems to be exactly the same or there abouts.

LarryOz

He Jon,
Yes - I used round rings
Fairing guys are way faster. Sean Costin on his No-Com with streamliner shell rode 35.195 miles in an hour
Yes, the power meter thing is frustrating - it will work itself out I am sure.
Glad to hear that both of yours match.

LarryOz

Well, if you remember, I did all this testing on my V with all the different Q-rings and round rings, and I came to the conclusion that since I am spinning in excess of 100rpm all the time, that the Q-rings are not really benefiting me.
In addition, the Garmin Vector Pedals do not seem to be able to report the correct power readings because of the Q-rings either. I don't think they are even reporting correct reading now on the round rings, but that is another story.
Thirdly, I am primarily training and racing on pretty much flat terrain or tracks right now (in preparation for a couple UMCA century record attempt). I do believe that on hills the Q-rings give a benefit, but not as convinced on flat terrain.
I have since done "more" cadence testing and actually think that I am the most efficient at 85-90 rpm, so I may put the Q-rings back on and test them out at the lower cadences. I really need to hook up a different (non-pedal based) power meter though when I do it, so I can be more sure of the results.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Well, if you remember, I did all this testing on my V with all the different Q-rings and round rings, and I came to the conclusion that since I am spinning in excess of 100rpm all the time, that the Q-rings are not really benefiting me.

For what it's worth (and this is really just conjecture): I understand why it's said that elliptical rings help more when you mash instead of spin. But even when spinning, you are pushing on the pedal more during the down stroke than you are at the end of the stroke. This is mitigated when you "scrape your shoe off", but the effect is still there. And given this, I would expect that elliptical rings would always help. (This statement has no estimate here of how much they would help and whether or not it is worth somebody buying them or not.)

I don't have elliptical rings and I've never tried them for myself, but I do think they make sense from a biomechanical point of view.

O.k. Carry on with your regularly scheduled program.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
For what it's worth (and this is really just conjecture): I understand why it's said that elliptical rings help more when you mash instead of spin. But even when spinning, you are pushing on the pedal more during the down stroke than you are at the end of the stroke. This is mitigated when you "scrape your shoe off", but the effect is still there. And given this, I would expect that elliptical rings would always help. (This statement has no estimate here of how much they would help and whether or not it is worth somebody buying them or not.)

I don't have elliptical rings and I've never tried them for myself, but I do think they make sense from a biomechanical point of view.

O.k. Carry on with your regularly scheduled program.

Agreed; but in Larry's case his cranks are soooooo short; and his cadence is so high; that the net gain for the q-rings is (my guess here) going to be a lot less and perhaps out side the -+2.0% accuracy of his power meter. 175mm cranks and a 60-70rpm cadence much more noticeable. I certainly notice the difference when I mash on 165's going up hill. But perhaps it's purple.

LarryOz

The videos of the adult beverage contests seem to be missing
Adult Beverage? - Like Perpetuem, Infinit, chocolate mike (oops - that one's not adult - but I drink it anyway), other, ???
??? - over my head - perhaps you posted to the wrong thread?? - or I am just "lost"??