Humbing Experience

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
This past Saturday, we had our monthly SoCal bent ride. This month, we rode on the SART, which is an excellent opportunity to literally fly. We had a nice mix of bikes including a few Carbents and a Carbon Aero 1.0. I usually thrive on being one of the stronger riders and don't worry too much about being able to ride from the back of the group to the front. Well, I got a bit of a lesson in humility this day. We had some regular double century riders along for the ride... Strong guys.

We started out from Yorba Regioal Park and I was on the back, not worried about not being able to bridge to the front. That was erroneous thinking. I took off and reeled in everybody but the two Carbents and the Carbon Aero. I finally arrived at the regroup spot and the CA guy was there waiting. The two Carbents had apparently kept rolling. I didn't think too much about it, but as we took off again,we encountered the two Carbents waiting for us elsewhere. I waited with them as everybody else passed and I took off as they did. Well, I kept pace for awhile, but they soon boosted it up to 23-27 mph and I decided to hang back with a lone rider and visit with them, as opposed to trying to hang with these monsters. Seriously, I'm pretty good at the 20-22 mph pace, averageing 18-19 mph. These guys were running 23-25 and averaging 20 mph plus. :shock: As we stopped for brunch I reflected on this and looked at these monstrous riders a little closer.

They were all lean and mean. They ate like it, too. In reflection, another 30 pounds cut off my frame would probably help a lot. I think my fitness is comparable and I know I have more leg than they do.. I decided on the way back I would try and stay with the big boys as we went upsteam on the way back. I led out part of the way and relinquished the pull thinking we would paceline back. We were a party of three by this time, out of some 16 riders. Relinquishing the pull was a mistake, as there was no change-offs and I found myself struggling to hang on. Really struggling and this isn't something I'm accustomed to, at all! I say this because these guys were cruising..... I was working my butt off!

Now, this is no reflection on the bike. The Carbent and the CA are both fine bikes, but I kept them in range and gained on the climbs.... I'd like to ride with them through some hills, but I think their obvious fitness would take over at some point in time. Still, being an overweight rider and project in process, I could see a lot of potential. I wasn't totally out of my league..... But I did get beat up some. I realized I need to rethink a few things in my personal life if I want to run with the big boys. Biggest thing is to rid myself of the last thirty pounds of lard. Secondly, i need to change the way I train on my commute ride More intervals at higher paces will get those averages up.

I still think riding must be fun. i love to be competetive.... I'm good to go slow on beginnerand intermediate rides, but when the pace accelerates like it did Saturday, I want to be right there.

Mark

WhiteSilvio

Hi Mark,
Interesting report, and a feeling I have quite a bit of the time with some reasonably strong DF riders. (There are no other recumbents in the groups I like to ride with; they're a rare breed around here.)
I have a question though: how much older or younger than you are these guys?

Safe riding,
John.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
WhiteSilvio wrote: Hi Mark,
Interesting report, and a feeling I have quite a bit of the time with some reasonably strong DF riders. (There are no other recumbents in the groups I like to ride with; they're a rare breed around here.)
I have a question though: how much older or younger than you are these guys?

Safe riding,
John.

I'm a terrible judge of age. The one guy was quite a bit older than me, one of them was probably only a few years older. The third guy is probably my age, maybe a little younger. Definitely fit guys.... Fast! I've been knowing for sometime that I had kind of stagated in my progress. I've been delaying riding with the fastest group at our club rides, only because I knew I would get beat up on. So, I guess it's time to pay the piper and get it over with.

Mark

teacherbill

Mark,
Been there, done that and have the humbling experience to prove it many times over. All of the above occurred during the late 70s and early 80s when I was running almost non-stop. I was the old guy trying to keep up with the high school and college kids. The only positive thing was I was able to blast away those that were my own age.

Got humbled by a 20-25 blond last week. I tried to hang on, but she upped the cadence and I was (I don't want to talk about it anymore.) :(

JonB

Zen MBB Master
teacherbill wrote: Mark,
Been there, done that and have the humbling experience to prove it many times over. All of the above occurred during the late 70s and early 80s when I was running almost non-stop. I was the old guy trying to keep up with the high school and college kids. The only positive thing was I was able to blast away those that were my own age.

Got humbled by a 20-25 blond last week. I tried to hang on, but she upped the cadence and I was (I don't want to talk about it anymore.) :(
if you can catch her you can keep her ;-)

teacherbill

I don't think it would be a good idea to keep her, just chase after her like a dog chasing after a rabbit.