Hurray! Silvio 2.0 is now shipping!

counterpoint

The long awaited notice that my Silvio frameset has been shipped from Taiwan just arrived in my mailbox.
Of course, a foot of snow and temperatures around 0F/-18C have also been announced for this evening in Colorado (down from sunny and 55F)...
A Vendetta buyer told me only four days passed between shipping and receiving.

counterpoint

Already bought the

Already bought the parts:

38mm carbon rims with 25mm Gatorskin tubulars (using Tufo tape), disk brakes (TRP hydraulic HyRd and mechanical Spyre), SRAM Red brifters, X-9 rear derailleur type 2, SRAM Force 2014 front derailleur, FSA BB and cranks with compact double (34-50). Taiwanese 11-36 cassette (180gr). I'll use Yokozuno cable housing. Bebop pedals.
Might upgrade to Q-rings as I'm used to them on my Carbent.

This will be my first disk brake bike; a little heavier than if I had used rim brakes but didn't want to take chances in the mountains.

A foot of snow is announced for tonight. But it typically does not last long under the mountain sun and dry air.

Ivan

Guru
Sounds like this will be a

Sounds like this will be a great looking bike! My guess is after a while you may want to go with a full size 53/39 crank cos you will churning up and down those hills. Look forward to pictures and a comparison with your Carbent.

counterpoint

I'll try 53/39 for sure (as I

I'll try 53/39 for sure (as I have a set on hand) but at this point I'm leery because my knees prefer it easy. Instead of Q-Rings I'll probably buy Doval, although at the moment Ebay has them only in one size (50-35). Here's the item number if anyone is interested:
They've been discussed on BROL and elsewhere.
doval.jpg

counterpoint

Arrived!

Hey:
I'm the proud owner of a box full of frame parts, delivered today to Colorado. Big thanks to my dog Amber who barked her head off or I would not have heard the door bell over the vacuum (signature required).
If only I had time to put it all together but this weekend is fully booked...
Won't even get to checking the parts list.

One gripe: the fork weighs a full kilo. Well, I guess there's good engineering reasons for it. New companies tend to avoid killing their customers, makes for bad PR.

PS: I never used head rests before as they transfer road vibrations. Can I do without?

counterpoint

True. It's just that my

True. It's just that my psychological reaction was that the fork weighs as much as my Carbent :)
BTW, in the Exploratorium in San Francisco you can compare the weight of a small cube of aluminium that fits the palm of your hand to the weight of a comparatively huge cube of hard foam. The little cube feels heavier all the same (and the opposite is true by a wide margin).
The reason has something to do with number of perception point per square inch of skin.

scabinetguy

Silvio 2.0 arrived

Got my Silvio 2.0 on Friday, put it together on Saturday, rode 60 mi. on Sunday. I'm very impressed, has the speed of the Vendetta. Final weight is about 24.4 lbs.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
24.4 lbs is impressive!

Wow that's a decent weight for a fully suspended recumbent!

Please share your group component list and maybe some pictures?

Thanks.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Still waiting for my Silvio

Still waiting for my Silvio frame. I have had all the components in the shed for ages, but when I got the email saying it was shipping I ordered tyres and innertubes. Went to put them on the wheels.

I am going out to get the rim-tape.

When the frame arrives I will find which other bits I have forgotten.

That is the advantage of getting a complete bike. I bet J Tolhurst remembers all the bits.

counterpoint

which bars exactly?

I wouldn't mind going with carbon road bars either. Which ones did you get, and are the the same shape or different from stock? Width? If different, are you happy with the ergonomics?

scabinetguy

Wow that's a decent weight

Correction, the weight is now 25.75 lbs.....My components: compact carbon crankset, went with carbon road handlebars, bontrager aeolus 5 carbon rims, ultegra brakes and brifters, 11/23 cogset.....Steve

scabinetguy

Road bars

Road bars are Ritchey, I believe they are 440mm, the widest they make. I'm only 5'9"and kind of skinny, I wouldn't' recommend them if you are a large person, might not be enough leg room. Ergonomics is great, somewhat like the Vendetta.

counterpoint

picture Ritchey handlebars?

Do you have a picture of the Ritchey?
?I'm looking at an affordable carbon handlebar with a 460mm width but its traditional dropbar shape is quite different from the one supplied by Cruzbike - and I'm guessing for a reason.
Screen%20Shot%202013-12-09%20at%201_13_51%20PM.png  width:567px

Here's the supplied bar: it's narrow at the top and widens toward the bottom.
cruzbike%20handlebar.jpg height:217px;

iow

i've also fitted a pair of

i've also fitted a pair of 440mm traditional drops with no problems (5'10" 163 Lbs).
the main advantage is that the bike is now narrow enough to fit through doorways.
it's also a cheap way to shave some weight (original bars are circa 450 gms) and i suspect there may be an aero advantage with the narrower hand/arm position.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Wonderful looking new Silvio 2.1!

@scabinetguy, Wonderful looking new Silvio!

The new Logo decal really looks good with black and white/Silver hardware. The splash of red adds a really nice touch!

Is 34x23 low enough for 7-10% grades?

scabinetguy

34x23

I can do 10% grades with the 11/23 cogset only for short periods, I need the 11/28 for longer climbs. Actually the 11/28 is better for sustained 7-8% also.

counterpoint

Shaving weight indeed: I just

Shaving weight indeed: I just ordered the carbon drop bars pictured above: less than half the weight for fifty bucks.

scabinetguy

Note on headrest

My scissor jacks for the headrest seemed to be a little short and didn't spread quite far enough. I used PVC tape (thick tape) on the inside of the frame where the headrest tube seats. I also used all 4 rubber sleeves over the tubing. The PVC tape made the opening for the tubing slightly narrower. Then I installed the 2 headrest brackets with 3 rubber washers (picture). This has made a supper strong installation for the headrest as well as the seat back.