Hwy 101 ride from Canada to Mexico Sept 2012

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I am looking at riding 3,000 km down the West coast of USA on Hwy 101, from Canada to Mexico from Sept 23rd 2012, on my Silvio, on a Adventure Cycling Assoc (ACA), Van supported ride over 40 days and 35 days riding.

Has anyone been on a ACA Van supported ride, and what was it like?

Should I use the Silvio, or my Softrider with Disc brakes?
What is the road and traffic like at this time of the year?

regards

Super Slim

MrSteve

Zen MBB Master
Here's what I found out about cycling on the California freeway system.
(Hwy. 101 is a freeway!):
-----
Q Can I ride my bicycle on the freeway?

A.

Of the more than 4,000 miles of freeways in California, about 1,000 miles are open to bicyclists. These open sections are usually in rural areas where there is no alternate route. California Vehicle Code Section 21960 says Caltrans and local agencies may prohibit bicyclists from traveling on freeways under their jurisdiction and that they must erect signs stating the prohibition. There are no signs permitting bicyclists on freeways. When a bicyclist is legally traveling on a freeway, he/she may be directed off the freeway at the next off-ramp by a sign that says "Bicycles Must Exit." The freeway will be posted at the next on-ramp with a sign that says "Bicycles Prohibited."

-----

I also learned that the famous and scenic, "17 mile drive" portion of highway 1 (the coastal highway) is closed to bicyclists.

I seriously doubt that the A.C.A. supports bicycle tourists on the freeway!

If I were you, I would choose the bike that I'm the most comfortable on.
Any Cruzbike will work and work well.
Choose the bike model that works best for you.

The Winter and Spring is the rainy season for Southern California...
coastal morning fog is also normal...
otherwise, the weather is ideal for outdoor fun.

(I lived in Central/Southern California for decades!)

Sorry, I've never ridden with any support, let alone with A.C.A..
Can't help you there!

Good luck,

Sincerely,

Steve

Rick Newton

I've ridden the California AIDS Ride in 2001 from San Francisco to LA. It may have been in June. There was only one spot on that supported ride where we had to ride on 101, and it was legal due to haveing no alternative route. I think it was in Santa Barbara County.
I would never do Hwy. 1 in Northern California without the road being closed to motorists, however, September would be the best time I suppose.