I almost own a Vendetta - Learning curve?

I should hopefully confirm the purchase of a second hand vendetta today - been keeping my eye out for about two years, but they don't appear very often on this side of the pond.

I've been riding 'bents for about two years now (Currently riding an M5 M-Racer) and I'm wondering whether I will have a steep learning curve or not? The plan would be to focus on the Vendetta until I'm comfortable with it

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
@ratz has a tutorial posted here that is excellent.

I transitioned from an Optima Baron...(with some intermediate steps in more upright Cruzbikes) and found the V to be quite a bit easier to learn than the Baron.

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
It's different for each person so we can't answer you question. It took me longer then I'd have liked but it all relative. I've seen experience recumbent riders hop on and get to were I was after two weeks in the first 10 mins. Practice the drills and be patient.

Bill K

Guru
I went from a high-racer stick bike (40 degree seat angle) to a V20 and the learning curve was about what I expected. For me, the lower seat angle (which I think you are already familiar with) was as hard to get used to as the pedal steer.

Ride one was 1-hour in the parking lot:
https://www.strava.com/activities/445764124
Ride two was 18 miles on the bike path:
https://www.strava.com/activities/447465112

It was a couple weeks before I was comfortable riding on the street with traffic or riding it to work.
Like @RojoRacing said, practice the drills and be patient. Short rides every day are better than one long ride.
Keep the downhill speed down until your reactions have acclimated.
So, it was not what I consider to be a steep learning curve but it does take some time to master.

Reactions: joy

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
The V was my first recumbent. When I first got on it, I couldn't even figure out how to make it move. It took me 8 weeks to get to 95% proficiency. I went out on my first two rides like it was just another bike. Cars scared me into the ditch. Going fast downhill quickly got out of control. It had a mind of its own like a wild horse. I crashed a total of three times on my my first two rides (but never since). You can't force it. Be patient, do the drills, and give it time for your brain to adapt. You will have an advantage if you are already used to riding while lying back.

Last edited:

Kerry Kerr

I had been riding a rear wheel drive Bacchetta Carbon Aero for a couple of years thinking it was the best recumbent two wheeler out there. But... the V is incredible, very versatile in being able to go slow and turn without heel strike and easy fast and just crazy fast too. Problem is, its different and will take time in becoming comfortable. Just like Joe said, I too, scared myself to death, and you must do the drills, be patient and it will happen.What to look forward to is that you will (like I) feel like a kid again, and can pull on the handlebars and become really comfortable on the bike. Bought mine late January, took a while before my knuckles turned back pink color again. Just be patient! you'll be glad you did! And again, do the skill drills.

Thanks guys, the learning curve from an ICE B2, perched up on top of the wheels to the M5 being low to the ground, seat slung way down between the wheels, twitchy steering was pretty steep.

Having been riding it for around 1000km now I still had a big moment of "hey I'm getting this" at the weekend when I had a whole load of slow speed manoeuvring in traffic which went smoother than I was anticipating.

@BillK - Seattle - lucky you, I've only been there once but it's a great city.

Looks like it's been sold out from under me - having agreed a price with the guy, it's now disappeared.

Back to square one. :(

Anyone got a UK based Vendetta or Silvio for sale - frameset or complete, either works for me.

At that price yes.

Bought and built the M5 last year at £2500 (at least that's what I tell her) so new is not on the cards, especially with 20% Sales tax in the UK and a poor exchange rate at the moment.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I had a cruzbike conversion kit. I learnt a whole lot of MBB skills from that. The transition from that to the 20 degree seat on the Vendetta was exponential but not impossible. I have never lost control thru fright... but did with a puncture (after riding for 2 years).

Instead of going over the handlebars... you slide out sideways so lower down... so safer. It's insanely fast and I have a precheck test before I ride it. The Vendetta now has tubeless tyres which makes it even safer.

Getting to ride on a T50 would be a great intro and it's certainly welcomed into the stable.

LMT

At that price yes.

Bought and built the M5 last year at £2500 (at least that's what I tell her) so new is not on the cards, especially with 20% Sales tax in the UK and a poor exchange rate at the moment.

FWIW this tax is applied to the stock value of the frame kit and not the gross price you paid. The tax you are thinking of would be about £120, thinking about it I think I paid just under this when I imported my frame back in 2015.

Sorry to hear about what happened with the bike, has Kevin at DTek not got any in stock? I thought I saw him having a fire sale of bikes a few months ago on Ebay...

Lee, Kevin had at least one Vendetta this time last year, so I will give him a call to check - he is just down the road from me, although hard to get hold of sometimes.

I remember him selling a number of Q100s/softriders a while back