i am off to cross the continent 28th sept 2015 4000klm fremantle to newcastle.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jond got to Perks (Stealth camping) this morning at 3am, so rode 394km (246 mls) yesterday, total 679 km (424 mls).
He started at 7 am and at 7 pm WA time he was at Balladonia, and travelled 255 km, with good tail winds from Norseman.

The drivers have been good especially the truck drivers, who would cross to the other side of the road when passing him, if safe, but on the narrow road from Kalgoorlie to Norseman, Jon had to practice the Ratz Dive, when an overtaking wide load came upon and car from the other direction, and he had to go onto the dirt kerb of Iron ore marbles!!! He was OK, as he is an AUSSIE!

He is aiming for Caiguna, which is 175 km away, so he will then be back on target.
Winds at Caiguna at 9 am tomorrow expected 17 kph SW, and 3 pm 18 kph SSE
Winds at Border Town 350 km east of Caiguna, at 3 pm tomorrow expected 18 kph SSW.

SS

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I agree with Lief again. And with DuncanWatson. Fall to the left. If you are in Oz or Dear Old Blighty you protect your mirror too.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Well Jond has a LOT of bad luck in the last three days, with 3 flat tyres, two days of headwinds, and the other strong buffeting side winds, and finally being hit by a large caravan from behind near
NullaIMG_0845.jpg IMG_0846.jpg IMG_0858.jpg IMG_0859.jpg

Nullabor station, 180 km east of the WA border, with a glancing blow to the shoulder, but knocked him off the bike into the middle of the road, and as he had NOT practiced the Ratz dive, the hanger bracket and derailleur are both bent, and the large canvas bags ripped off the bike. He has a bad graze on his right side, and very sore, but lucky to be alive!!!
The caravan did not stop, and no cars behind OR cars coming the other way, so an inattentive caravan driver!!!
There is NO shoulder on the road!!!

With John's signature on his bike, the value has gone up $1,000.

He was seeing double during the day as he was REALLY hungry! He was eating a sandwich every hour and drinking a lot, with sodium salts, and carried 4L of water as it is 180 km between service stations.
Tomorrow it will hit 39C (102F) with 36 kph(23 mph) North winds, so a really horrible day to ride.
He will see how it goes after a good night sleep, and if he can fix the derailleur.

Lief

Guru Schmuru
If there is one thing I've learned about anyone who might set out to try something like this it's this: They are a resourceful sort.
Plus he's an Aussie.

My confidence is high in his ability to get back on the road.
Go JonD!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Way to go Jon - I have been thinking and praying for you since you left. Especially as I was riding my measly little 100 miles a day! haha - nothing to compare to what you are doing for sure my friend!
Not sure you are even able to get to this forum while you are riding - but the tribe is certainly pulling for you.
I will be done tomorrow with my "10 days for Honduras" and will be eagerly waiting for more information about how you are doing, where you have been, and where you are going.
You are amazing!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Jond sent me these photos today of his graze upon graze (Is he changing his name to Larry Oz??)

His hanger straightened out Ok, and at 4.30 pm Saturday he was going to take it for a short ride to make sure it is changing correctly.
He has a hairline crack at the rear seat to headrest junction, and will keep an eye on it.

He is going to ride at night to beat the 39C (102 F) day heat, AND the headwinds!

He hopes to reach Penong or Ceduna tomorrow.

IMG_0870.jpg IMG_0868.jpg IMG_0871.jpg IMG_0869.jpg

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Gosh, you really have been challenged, looks like you are nearly half way there. Good idea about traveling at night. Over here in Spain the wind really picks up if its a hot day (sea breeze). I remember being in Perth on the swan river and I could have an epic time every day in the afternoon with a typical force 5. As soon as the sun goes down so does the wind. Your legs look pretty sore... look after 'em

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Australia chucks everything at Jond. Terrible heat, terrible headwind, terrible motorists. Such is life. Stick at it Jond

LarryOz

Jond sent me these photos today of his graze upon graze (Is he changing his name to Larry Oz??)
Wow - Yes I resemble that remark - heal up fast Jon!

Australia chucks everything at Jond. Terrible heat, terrible headwind, terrible motorists. Such is life. Stick at it Jond
If I know anything - Jon is still smiling! That's just the way he is!

Keep it up my good friend - will keeping praying for ya!!!

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Yes, he is OK, but had 5 near misses on National Highway 1 (A Goat Track)in 1 day from Ceduna to Kimba, with the worst being a road train missing him by 6" while travelling at 110 kph+(70 mph), on a narrow road with NO bitumen verge.
He headed to the coast and Cowell, to get away from the trucks and CARAVANS, in the hope of a ferry ride to Adelaide, but it had stopped 6 months ago!
He was talking about a route to Adelaide, butI had forgotten about the ferry, as it was not in service long from Cowell to Wallaroo, saving 2 hours car driving.

He is now travelling 350 km on a back road from Port Augusta to Adelaide, on the other side of the range, with low traffic and very beautiful countryside past Melrose.
I will pick him up about 15 km north of the city, as he would need to ride back on the HWy 1 which is VERY busy, and no bike lanes or markings!!!
Adelaide bike lanes in the north of the city are poor, with only back street routes that are very convoluted and easy to get lost on!!!

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
What a relief to have some news. What an extreme experience for sure.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
He went from Hot blustery head winds to extreme side winds when approaching Horrocks Pass, which required him to walk for a while to stay upright!!!
He is experiencing ALL weather except rain so far!!!
He reached Gladstone tonight and really enjoyed little wind after going over the range and green areas with trees and creeks.

LarryOz

Thanks for the update Slim. Did not realized there were so many dangerous elements to overcome!
It is nice that someone has some "eyes" on him.
So where does this more recent update put in relation to being "home" or done.
A map of Australia showing where he has gone and what is left would be great if possible.
Thanks a bunch!