"I have a hacksaw, and I'm not afraid to use it."

BentAero

Those of you who have been on this forum a while know that I'm open to ...modifications. The following are three things that I've done lately that may (or may not) be of use to you. Enjoy. Or not.

I've always felt the chain wraps a bit too far around the cassette, which makes the derailleur adjustment overly sensitive. The common fix is to install a longer 'B' screw to back-up the derailleur. However, when I tried that, the screw was sticking out far enough that the first time I shifted from 4th to 3rd gear while still in the big ring, (yeah, I know...) it instantly bent the 'B' screw; it just had too much stress on it. So, plan B; re-position the replaceable hanger.

This is the stock setup:
20150524_130455_zpsazdmvymz.jpg

This is what we're aiming for, rotating the aluminum hanger back away from the black steel 'B' screw tab, creating a 'gap':
20150524_130532_zpsn5mcwvkb.jpg

Scrounge through the screw bin and find a screw that matches one of my taps, drill and tap a hole in the hanger. Here's a shot of the two hangers, the one of the right with a 10-24 holed tapped in it:
20150524_130745_zpsysalpak8.jpg

The finished product. Though not dramatic, shifting is improved and 'stays in adjustment' better than it did. Sorry, this photo is a bit blurry, but bottom line is the screw repositions the hanger father back so the 'B' screw doesn't have to be so long or stick out so far.
20150524_131353_zpstqb5sem2.jpg

After being annoyed by having to remove the seat in order to reposition the headrest, it occurred to me that by simply drilling two small holes in the seat pan, the headrest could then be moved up or down by only removing the foam pad.
Start by placing some masking or duct tape on the back side of the pan. Once the tape is in place, carefully reposition the pan back in it's normal location. Once in place, give the pan a good smack with your hand to imprint the headrest adjustment screws into the tape. Now remove the pan and drill holes where the tape is imprinted. Smooth/enlarge the holes as needed with a rat-tail file. Reinstall the pan and go ride. The next time you need to move your headrest, you only have to loosen up the two screws.
(ignore the center strip of velcro; it was for some padding that I no longer use)
20140817_195439_zps5f7ff1bf.jpg

Larry Oz had an idea to modify some stock V/S handlebars into something more aero. I braincramped and promptly ruined the first attempt. Here is version 2.
I didn't take a photo of the uncut handlebar, you all know what that looks like. Here's a shot after the first rough cuts with the pieces layed out in the stock shape:
20150611_153018_zpsht3ukkay.jpg

Here's the shape we'll end up with after some rearranging, and the pieces we're going to throw out:
20150611_153047_zpsipik9o8z.jpg

Since the I.D. of the bars change over their length, now we have to adapt the left and right hand sections to the center section. I turned down some bar stock on the lathe to match their respective I.D.'s:
20150611_163006_zpsiwmyrxrl.jpg

Next step, jamming the insert in place:
20150611_163802_zps4fancezv.jpg

Ready to weld:
20150611_184001_zpslilhpcoq.jpg

All done:
20150612_145542_zpshm8q5ah5.jpg

The finished bars are right about 12.5" at their widest point. Larry is using triathalon Di2 brake levers/speed shifters, and is on a never-ending quest for the most aero setup he can get. The cables he has weren't quite long enough and he had to rotate the end of the bar up into the airstream to clear his massive thighs, so the jury is still out if these will be a feasible race option.

Go ahead and send me something, I'll cut it up for you!

Last edited:

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Great stuff Gary -
Haha - no massive thighs here - That's Ratz your thinking of!!
I tried them pointing forward, and Gary is correct, I did have to elevate them higher than I wanted to, to get my legs to stop hitting my legs. It might not be as bad if I went down to 130mm cranks too.
I also rotated them in toward my stomach. I like that better, but the brakes and shifter buttons where not really "handy" . Might be OK for track TT's, but would not recommend for an open road experience.
I'll send pictures of the handlebar you modified for me on the V20 in both positions when I get it re-mounted.

Nice mods there Gary. I'm suffering a bit from poor shifting, so going to go and stare at the V for a bit to work out what your hanger mod does to it! Looking forward to seeing the handlebars on the bike, although that's probably a mod to far for me!