I ordered a Silvio...Built it Up...and my First Ride...and 300 miles later!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hello all~

Well yesterday I sold my Catbike Musashi and ordered a Silvio 2.1 frameset. I'm quite excited
regular_smile.gif
to say the least.

I've been reading many of the posts to gather information about the build. I have pretty much everything I need for the build with the exception of the road shifter/brake combo. I ordered just about the least expensive set I could find to work with my existing Sram components - the Apex. I've never used ridden a road bike before, so I'm not familiar with these double tap shifting levers.

The build will include BB7 disc brakes - I'm a huge fan of disc bakes, as I have my Meta Bike setup with Shimano SLX hydraulic brakes which I love

It is my understanding from previous posts to go with a 140mm disc in the rear? Right?

What is the largest tire the frame will take with discs? I would like to go with 32mm if posible.

I have an FSA wheelset that is 130mm x 100mm axle widths. So the front (rear 130mm) should slide in without issues.

I plan on using my FSA triple, which I converted to a double by removing the outer large ring and replacing it with a ring guard. The inners are 44t x 130BCD q-ring and 25t x 74BCD q-ring. It seems a spacer or two (3.5mm) may be required to get the appropriate clearance for the 74BCD to work?

So, what bags will work with this seat? For my Meta Bike I have two bags (Bent-Up) like the Radicle Design, one a small aero and the other is much bigger with more volume. I also have a Bacchetta Brain Bag.

I'm sure I will have some questions once I start putting the bike together (I'm doing the build myself BTW).

The 27 degreed seat angle seems like it may be perfect for me, as that is about where I have my meta Bike setup at.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi

Hi Rick,

Congratulations!

Yes, I'm pretty sure that 140mm fits in the back (and probably no need to go bigger).

Even with disc brakes, you may have problems going bigger than 28mm on tires. (I personally agree with you that 32mm and wider tires are nice :) ). I'll also point out that not all 28mm tires are the same size, so this complicates the answer as well. I'll be interested to see what you find.

For crankset, I have no personal experience, but know that the Silvio and Vendetta are pickier than many other models. Which bottom bracket you use is very important. Here's a link to getting an Ultegra with 74BCD small ring working.

Congratulations again, and remember, if you don't post pictures, it never really happened. :D

Cheers,
Charles

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks Charles

Yes, that is so true about tires, I have 32mm's that is actually measure out at 30mm.

Yup, the crankset will be interesting and maybe a challenge, but I think that's just of the many reasons that I'm intrigued by this bike.

Picture will come, so that it will happen.

Thanks!!

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
My 28 duranos I use on the

My 28 duranos I use on the trainer rub the frame but they are a very tall tire. I've selected 25 tubeless for the road. They fit great. Pretty much assume a low profile wide 28 will be as big as you can go and I would recommend a wider rim to keep the height of the tire profile down as much as possible. With the suspension I think the 25's are going to be spectacular on our rotten roads.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks Ratz.
I'm interested

Thanks Ratz.

I'm interested in your tubeless setup, and read your Silvio build post next door at BROL. What tires, rims, and pressure are you running.

I tried a tubeless setup on my Meta Bike with Stans Crest Tubeless 650B rims and the Hetre Extra Leger 42mm tires from Compass Cycles without success . I ended up putting tubes in. The tires seated up fine @50 psi. Let them set over night without air loss. And then took a ride the next day, at 2.5 miles in, the front tire popped off the rim, scary, it was like riding on pudding and ice.

I may go with the 26mm Cerf blue Extra Léger from Compass. And can only imagine, these tires mixed with the Silvio's full suspension! Drool
tongue_smile.gif
!

ratz

Bontrager

Hey Rick,

If you check the latest update to the build thread I've added some of the details.

I went with Bontrager's Tubeless system to start with. All the reviews I read said that the system would be the best to learn on since it's designed as a complete system to remove a lot of the pitfalls. The RIMs are Race XLT and plain Races. I got the rims from ebay; a lot of TT bikes ship with them and the riders often sell them off and get areo wheels. The ones I got where never ridden. The Bontrager conversion kit comes with 23x700c tires, so I suggest getting the parts separately. I went with 25's on both wheel sets. Initial test have them holding pressure for 35 days an running. We went with the TLR3 tires since the TLR2 are out of stock; the TL2 should be find and $30 less per tire.

The plan is to run at minimum pressure to combat our chip seal moon like landscape.

For Sealant I plan to run 1.5 oz of Bontrager + 1.5 oz of Stans in the tires. Stans can seal a bigger hole but is ammonia based; the Bontrager is glycol based so it doesn't evaporate as fast. I got that advice from a long term cross bike racer that I trust.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks Ratz - good info,

Thanks Ratz - good info, indeed. I need to give that some thought, and find the tubeless have some appeal as far as upping the ride quality and being more resistant to punctures. Two +'s for sure!

Yep, we have bad chip seal up here too. That's the reason for the making this purchase. The Meta Bike is great on "good" cheap seal with the Grand Bois tires, but not when it gets bad.

I will head over to the "build thread", must have missed that one.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks Ratz.
I'm little

Thanks Ratz.

I'm little confused on the front deraileur. Only a braze on will work, correct?

So then the up and down adjustment is limited, correct?

...and a standard post mount will not work, correct?

ratz

Correct Braze on only, your

Correct Braze on only, your big ring being a 44T might pose a challenge to derailleur alignment; I setup my wife with a compact 50/34 with the option to go to a 46/34 , so 44T isn't that much father. The way the braze one steam is done; it would be a pretty simple matter to construct an extension that would be sturdy and non-pivoting if you had to; assuming you can work with simple sheet metals.

Here's a shot of the braze on post

?http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageboard/showthread.php?p=1176656#poststop

See picture # 2

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks once again Ratz.
Okay,

Thanks once again Ratz.

Okay, braze on it is then - will this work?

http://www.amazon.com/SRAM-Force22-Braze-On-Front-Derailleur/dp/B00CSYPU2Y/ref=dp_ob_title_sports

I like the idea of the chain keeper, how does it work?

ratz

Force 22 works great. 
The

Force 22 works great.

The Force 22 is basically last years "red" 10 speed. I have the RED 10 speed on my build because the force 22 was not shipping when I ordered. We got the Force 22 for the wife's setup. I compared them; then are identical. The chain spotter/keeper works great for down to a ring about 34T. Down to that size it will prevent over shifting. For you 24T you posted as you setup goal; the spotter will act as more a drop guide; but should work; you might prefer to run with out it; but I think it will work as intended. You could also re-bend it to change the shape to fit the lower ring. When you see it; you'll understand.

The Yaw derailleur are awesome; but you have to watch the setup video; they go on with different steps than a traditional unit. But once you've done it; it make sense and the shifting is butter smooth. Be aware; all the SRAM stuff is "linear pull" all shift actions pull a uniform length of cable. Variable pull shifters will not work with that Derailleur.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Thanks Ratz - I have a lot to

Thanks Ratz - I have a lot to learn about using road only components. I see this will be a work in progress, but that's okay, I love challenges.

iow

i'm running 28c vittoria

i'm running 28c vittoria rubino pros with no problems (with caliper brakes) but they only measure 26mm tall mounted on a wide (h plus son archetype) rim. i wouldn't want to go any taller as there is only 3 or 4mm clearance to the underside of the fork crown.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hello iow, thanks for the

Hello iow, thanks for the info. What kind of clearance do you have in the back? Is it the fork that's the limiting factor?

iow

4 or 5mm clearance at the

hi rick, 4 or 5mm clearance at the back limited by the caliper, otherwise 5 or 6mm clearance..
on the front, fork and caliper limit clearance equally.
if you intend to use discs, you could run smaller wheels ie. 26" or 650b to gain more clearance.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
if you intend to use discs,

if you intend to use discs, you could run smaller wheels ie. 26" or 650b to gain more clearance.

This is a good point. You can imagine having a second set of wheels for rougher trais.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Good point!
I have a second

Good point!

I have a second wheelset that are 650 Stans Crest, currently equipped with Hetre' Extra Leger 42mm - they are about as tall as 700c x 23mm tires. But I'm thinking the 42mm tire width might be to wide for the frame. But surley the 650b x 32mm Cypres Extra Leger will work?