I ordered a Silvio...Built it Up...and my First Ride...and 300 miles later!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hi - what the deal with the

Hi - what the deal with the "chainstay extension", and how does it work, what does it look like? I've seen it commented on a few times. I'm kind'a assuming it extends the BB, creating a larger radius with higher BB height to get more aero or longer legs??

Ivan

Guru
For chainstay extension and

For chainstay extension and lots of pics read my build thread and photo gallery:

http://cruzbike.com/silvio-2.0-journey-build-and-ride-video

http://cruzbike.com/silvio-2.0-photoshoot-gallery

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Update!

I've decide to stick to rim brakes, at least for the initial build. I have a set of FSA/SLK brakes laying around. My existing wheelset (FSA) with the 130mm disc hub will be temporary, they have a rim brake surface and it's not terribly heavy at 1700 grams. This will give me time to ride the bike, adapt to the MBB riding style, and then determine whether or not I want to go disc or continue with rim brakes.

I know I'm over thinking this build, it's more complex and challenging from other builds I've done in the past due to "It's a road bike Jim - but not as we know it". So I'm thinking along the lines of "road bike" (which I've never owned, ridden, or worked on). So I don't know much about the "brifters" shifters.

My build will consist of (for now):
FSA disc wheelset - not sure yet on tires, but hopefully 28mm - these are spare wheels laying around

Apex SRAM Apex DoubleTap Controls-Road Bicycle Brake/Shift Levers Set-2x10 speed - Bought this new off eBay

Sram 10 speed X-9 long cage RD - In my spare parts bin

Sram 1050 11-36 cassette - in my parts bin

FSA Gossamer MegaExo 165mm triple - converted to double by removing large ring and replacing with 44t-ring-guard (130bcd x 74bcd) - I've used this on just about every bike I've owned in the last couple of years.

44t Roto Q-ring (mounted on inner middle position) and either a 27t or 25t Q-ring (mounted on 74bcd inside inner position). Probably will start with the 27mm. I live in a hilly area and require grannys to get up the long climbs. The 44t mid-inner ring x 11t cassette cog works great for tops speed for me even down hill's.

SRAM Force 22 Front Derailleur FD - this I'm not sure will work with the above setup. I'm a little concerned that this may not shift the rings with adequate inside reach and that it may set up to high off my big ring. - Bought this off Amazon

Almost forgot...and I love this part...ONE CHAIN, gold too, would have been out of the question to buy 3.

I've received a tracking number for the frameset and see that it is now in the USPS system.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Wow, that was quick!

Well to my surprise, the Silvio arrived today. I placed the order last Thursday. I was expecting it next week.

Now the fun begins!!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I assembled the frame last

I assembled the frame last night with the help of Ratz's build diary and the online manual, and other threads like Ivan's.

My main issue with the build was the preload adjustment for the Elastomer suspension. I could only get the disc about 3/4's of a turn in either direction using need-nose pliers. I greased the threads and even used WD40 to try and get it move past these point. So I guess it is where it is, which is very close to the top of the frame. I'm not sure this will make much difference for me?

I'm currently investigating a usable neck rest for me. I can't make the stock one work. I have an ICE neck rest in my parts bin, and will micky mouse it to the neck mast for the time being. I ordered an ADEM hardshell neck rest, that I will be able to make work just fine.

I also ordered a Ventisit seat pad from The Netherlands. I placed my existing hard sell Ventisit seat pad on the Silvio this morning and surprisingly it looked pretty good, and for me was more secure and comfortable.

Just for the record, I have back and neck issues, so it's very important to me to get comfortable before hitting the bike trail.

I'm looking forward to getting my build completed and hitting the bike trail. So far the weather here in Redding is sunny and 70's.

Andrew 1973

Zen MBB Master
Gearing Selection

Hi, Rick.

A few posts up, you mention choosing a 44 x 11 combination which you said would give you top speed even on the downhills. Maybe your riding style and ability to spin high cadences is far different than mine, but I find that I spin out on even moderate descents with a 50 x 11, and that is on a first-generation Silvio. Your Silvio is a good bit faster due to the improved aerodynamics and rider position. I would not be surprised to hear that you are quickly in need of a taller gear :)

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hi Andrew.
I'm a spinner,

Hi Andrew.

I'm a spinner, mainly due to my knees. I don't like to put much stress on my knees. On down hills, I've found myself to stop pedaling over 30mph's and sometimes even sooner. I have/had a 50t q-ring bolted up on the outer mount on this crank, and just found that I never got into it - and this is on my Meta Bike which is no turtle. I think, if I remember, the 44-q-ring is something a 46t on it's longest arc.

But who know, you may be correct.

Jeremy S

Dude
My main issue with the build

My main issue with the build was the preload adjustment for the Elastomer suspension. I could only get the disc about 3/4's of a turn in either direction using need-nose pliers. I greased the threads and even used WD40 to try and get it move past these point. So I guess it is where it is, which is very close to the top of the frame. I'm not sure this will make much difference for me?

Rick, is the elastomer stuck, or the adjustment disk? If you remove the elastomer can you screw the disk in farther?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hi Jeremy
The disc is stuck,

Hi Jeremy

The disc is stuck, it gets jammed into the threads. I can turn the disc about 1/3rd of a rotation each way, but then it gets to a point to where it stops and feels likes it binding, and I believe if I put more pressure to turn it, something is going to break.

Jeremy S

Dude
Sounds like it is cross

Sounds like it is cross threaded or maybe stuck on some debris. The disk came already threaded into my frame. I made the mistake of removing it once, and it took many, many tries to thread it back in without it getting stuck.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Good work

My disc go stuck the first time I tried to put it back in too, that's why I say not to remove it in the photo diary. It sounds like Rick never removed his though. Mine was really stuck at first and I have to give it a pretty brutal first turn that was less than comforting.

As for the Ventisit seat pad I can confirm that the Vendetta one fits nice.

I'll be looking for photo's of your ADEM neck rest; I have a high neck injury so while the stock neck rest feel good on the trainer the road will be the real test for that.

mzweili

Guru
disk stuck

''My disk go stuck the first time I tried to put it back in too, that's why I say not to remove it in the photo diary. It sounds like Rick never removed his though. Mine was really stuck at first and I have to give it a pretty brutal first turn that was less than comforting.''

I've got exactly the same problem. The female thread in the frame seems to be of poor quality, very rough surface. Some greasing helps, but it remains far from turning smooth.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I will get some pic's up when

I will get some pic's up when I get the ADEM and Ventisit, should be next week.

In the mean time I will use the ICE neck rest and my Meta Bike Ventisit seat pad.

Everything else seems to be coming together.

I've got the Sram Force 22 front derailleur working with the chaninrings, this was a worry, I thought I was going to have more issues.

The rear (CB-fron) shifting is work good. Bakes are next. And maybe a first ride tomorrow.

So far I've not cut the boom. I'm 5'8" (originally 5'10", before my back and neck started falling south) and my X-seam is about 42-ish. I'm going to try it like this, I'm about as far as I want to go as far as my leg extension. But in the future I may take off a couple of inches, just to give me room incase I want to bring the boom back a cm or two.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Just a quick snap shot - lots

Just a quick snap shot - lots of extra cable.

new-CB-Silvio.jpg

JO_CONNOR

NICE!

Rick
That is one really nice set up! I've been following yours since you too have embraced 11-speed drive. Love the red ring guard, with the q-rings showing thru.

What is the bag you have, and how did you mount it behind the seat?

Looks like that ventisit seat is going to be a really comfortable ride. Is that secured to the rigid seat with velcro strips?
Do you need any padding under the ventisit?

What kind of stand is that under the rear wheel?

If it were mine (and I so wish to have a S2.0 soon), I'd have to have disc brakes - the sleek looks are screaming SPEED, and the discs would show that speed is OK if you have the stopping force with you too.

JO

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hi JO - thanks, still have a

Hi JO - thanks, still have a little more to do yet. Currently I'm with 10 speed components.

The bag is a typical aero wedge bag, this one I purchased from BentUp cycles, but it's your basic Radical Design Aero bag. Because I'm going to change the existing ICE neck rest with a ADEM neck rest (that's on order), and also change this Vetisist pad (also on order), I have it temporally jimmy rigged. Once I get the new neck rest and pad, I will figure something out as a more permanent attachment for the aero bag - but should not be too difficult using styrofoam or the like.

I won't need any padding under either this Ventisit or the one on order. I use this seat pad on my Meta Bike, with no other padding directly Velcroed to the hard shell seat. I like the Ventisit seat pad a lot, it's comfortable and breaths extremely well, I sweat like a pig.

The stand is this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F9YQQO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I too like disc brakes, in particular, hydraulics. I have a set of SLX hydraulic disc's on my Meta Bike. Haven't had a one single problem with them. They are great slowing or stopping power. I'm going to see how l like the rim brakes again, but you may see me switch over to discs.

iow

hi rick
looks good.
i fitted

hi rick
looks good.
i fitted a shimano 74mm bcd chainset to my S2.0 by swapping over spacers and off-setting the bb clamps - i just wondered what 'adjustments' you had to make when fitting the 74mm bcd FSA chainset?
thanks.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Same thing here

Hi iow - I did basically the same thing. I put the spindle spacers (3.05mm) on the drive side and offset the BB clamps slightly to get the 74bcd ring clearance.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
BB7's

Okay, so this morning I decided to use the BB7 mechanical disc brake setup instead of the road calipers.

It was pretty easy and straight forward, if youv'e done this before on other recumbents or mountain bikes, as I've done. It seems the front and back caliper mounts are setup for 140mm rotors. I had 160mm on on hand and use the 20mm offset adapter. I read that Doug wrote "A 160mm rear *might* fit, but it will be close to the seat stay" . Mine mounted up with a good 3mm clearance front the seat stay. With that said 140mm rotor should be more than enough to get this speed beast stopped. Now the only minor issue I had was, my BB7's are mountain and not road, so I had to take up a little play in the caliper to work with the road short pull. However I do plan to purchase a set of "road" calipers once I digest the cost of my build.

new-CB-Silvio-2.jpg