I ordered a Silvio...Built it Up...and my First Ride...and 300 miles later!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Touring

Radical Design Banana Racers work!!

new-CB-Silvio-br1.jpg
new-CB-Silvio-br2.jpg

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Rick,Could you post a

Rick,

Could you post a centered rear and front shot of your Silvio with the Radical Banana Racers with the camera about at top of the tire height or there about? I've been thinking about getting a set of these for my Vendetta at some point.

Thanks,

-Eric

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hi Eric - sure, it will be

Hi Eric - sure, it will be tomorrow - but I will pm you when I get the pic's posted.

Just fished up my very first ride today
regular_smile.gif
- so I will also post that later on too. All and all - two thumbs up!!

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Very cool, thanks Rick.
Those

Very cool, thanks Rick.

Those views give me a lot more info on fit. Very useful.

-Eric

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
First Ride

Okay, so yesterday I took 'er out for my first ride.

Before heading out to the Sacramento River Trail, I wanted to get a feel for the steering - can't try this in my neighborhood because we live on a hill with a good amount of traffic that passes by our house. So I found a vacant parking lot.

Did about 1-2 minutes of Fred Flintstoning to get a feel for the steering - easy enough.

Then gave my self a push off, then raising both feet, finding the peddles. Trying to keep myself relaxed, mentally and physically. Going through the typical arms fighting legs motion - palms out. The first 10 seconds of that was like whoa Nelly.

I'm so used to clipless that I found it very difficult to keep from pulling my feet off the pedal on the back stroke.

So I thought it was time to change into my Keen clipless sandals.

This really helped. I rode around the parking lot in figure eights for about 15 minutes. To my joy I felt the arm and leg fighting diminish, not totally, but progress.

I tried a couple of stopped starts, not that's a new challenge. Got it one time. This will need much more practice.

Anyway, after 15 minutes I felt ready to head over to the River trail. It's pretty much flat and a little snaky. Because it was 74 and sunny, there were quite a few people out walking and biking.

So I rode 14 miles. 7 miles to the Shasta Dam, and 7 miles back to the car.

The first 7 miles I felt pretty confident running at about 13-15 mph's, just taking it easy and getting a feel for the peddle steer. I concentrated on getting a nice smooth cadence. I noticed for me the higher cadence, the peddle steer would almost disappear. I felt fairly relaxed. At this point I started concentrating relaxing my arms and shoulders.

The 7 miles back. I picked up my speed and started running 17-21 mph's. I felt completely in control in my surroundings and thought this is not going to be all that hard to learn.

Overall, a very very good first ride.

I'm going to need to practice starting from a dead stop, no doubt.

I also need to work on getting myself comfortable in the cockpit. This is not new to this bike, I have to do this with every recumbent I setup for myself.

Gonna take 'er out again today.

Many thanks to posts just like this one that has helped me figure out what to expect with learning to ride a Cruzbike.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
I know there's a lot on BROL

I know there's a lot on BROL about how difficult it is to ride MBB bikes that's silly. Most people pick it up pretty quickly.

That being said, you're not supposed to pick it up (and clip in) that quickly!

Well done, sir!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Hi Charles - I couldn't agree

Hi Charles - I couldn't agree more.

I found the same thing to be true about the Meta Bike I purchased last year.

You read many posts of the Meta being twitch with a high learning curve. And I expected that, but found it to be false, at least for me. The day after I completed the Meta Bike build, I rode it in a Metric Century, clipped-in. And felt extremely confident and comfortable, and ran it at my fastest pace yet. This year I expect to ride it with the Silvio.

Hey, I've been riding recumbents and cycling for a whole 2 1/2 years now (about 12,000 miles). Prior to that I did not ride bikes. I had bikes and rode with my kids when they were young, but that was not cycling. I'm {cough-cough} 57 with a compression fracture and bulging disc's, and who know what else with my neck . I'm no athlete and never was one, just your somewhat average Joe that is dedicated to recumbent riding.

These aren't hard to ride, they just take patience and practice. I don't believe a 60 minute test ride at the dealer is enough time to figure out whether or not you will like this bike, or any recumbent for that matter.

My hats off to the guys like Ivan, never riding a recumbent, and then getting on this and going and not giving up! I know the laid back feeling and that's one of the learning curves already out of the way for me.

JO_CONNOR

Great report Rick

Interesting to read that an experienced 'bent rider has the same first ride results!

I was out Saturday afternoon with my lights installed, just in case I went a little longer. Got so comfortable I lost track of the time. This was my first ride with the Garmin 500 mounted on this bike. Whoa nelly! I saw a 22 mph speed thinking I was at a familiar 16-18 speed based on level of effort and wind noise. Thought for a moment: I need to calibrate this thing for the new bike - then duh, its GPS based and that really was the speed! Came back to my starting point long after dark. Total distance of 25.8 miles, and oh what a comfortable ride this reclined, recumbent world is!

Really like your S2.0! I think the discs look great - how are they for stopping power/control compared to the rim brakes?

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Starting from stationary,

Starting from stationary, that is what concerns me. I intend eventually to be commuting on mine. When I finally get it assembled.

If Ivan can do it, so can we.

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi BH,
Not surprisingly, the

Hi BH,

Not surprisingly, the more experience you get, the easier it is to start. :D

I think the Silvio would be a great choice for commuting.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
~JO - Really like your S2.0!

~JO - Really like your S2.0! I think the discs look great - how are they for stopping power/control compared to the rim brakes?
Thanks JO. Can't really give you any data for the Silvio. I like disc bakes a whole lot, I have hydraulic discs mounted on my Meta Bike, and up here in a hilly area where you can pic up speed real fast on the descents, well I would not haven't it any other way. My Musashi had rim brakes, it was fast down the descents too, but I hated the slowing and stopping response of the rim brakes. If I lived in a flatter area, I thin rim brakes would work just fine.

~Bladderhead - Starting from stationary, that is what concerns me. I intend eventually to be commuting on mine .
My opinion is you will need practice. Yesterday, I went out on my second ride and practiced dead-stop starts without pushing off. Just in the 5 times I practiced, I stated to get the hang of it and on the last 3 starts was able to start with less and less wobble each time.

Learning to ride the Silvio is similar to my first experience learning to ride my new Corsa 2 1/2 years ago - except that I'm picking it up much much fast with Silvio. That's most likely due to the fact I'm used to the high racer position. For the Corsa it took me about 300 miles before I felt comfortable. With the Silvio once up to speed I'm already starting to feel much more relaxed. I expect that to progress each time I ride, because that's what my past experience has told me!

Ivan

Guru
LOL! Yes you can! My Silvio

LOL! Yes you can! :) My Silvio is great for long commutes, would be great with short commutes too. Plus last night I went out with a roadie gang. I was the only bent in the pack with short inclines up to 7% but mostly flat. I was wanting experience riding with other DF bikes in preparation for a century in 10 days time. Great fun as I pushed myself harder than what I would on a commute. Commuting I am usually below threshold, wanting to have enough energy for tomorrow's ride but last night I got my HR up to 193!

Silvio is amazingly versatile. These few weeks I will have done light commutes, fast road group rides, loaded with panniers, and my upcoming century! What I have NOT tried yet is a light trail with short bits of gravel. I wonder how Silvio with 28c tyres would fare!

Jeremy S

Dude
Ivan, I rode through a gravel

Ivan, I rode through a gravel construction area (maybe a couple hundred feet) with 25mm tires and the Silvio was quite stable -- although I was nervous the whole time.

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Proof of Ride

Proof of Ride ~ My fifth ride and pictures (with iPhone, please excuse poor quality). The second photo you can see a small Mt. Shasta in the background finally covered in snow.

Peddle steer has become a thing of the past as far as being continually aware of it. Starts from dead-stop are more elegant. I'm riding in a straight line without wobble or side to side drifting with about 93 miles of riding so far.

My progress can be (I think, most likely) related to being familiar with the highracer stance. I basically have the handlebars and seat angle almost exactly like I do with my Meta Bike.

I can still remember my first 2-wheeled bent highracer (Corsa 650) and the learning curve. Comparing the two, at this point in hours and miles, I'm feeling more in control and much more confident with the Silvio than I did with the Corsa. With the Corsa it was right around 400-500 miles that I was able to ride a straight line and not drift.

Silvio-1.jpg

Silvio-2.jpg

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Yes, Happy. That's it. But

Yes, Happy. That's it. But look at my link above.

For some reason I'm not able to edit my own message?!

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
I wanted to update my

I wanted to update my original thread, now that I have had the Silvio for a month and put a whapping 300 miles on it (should be 600 by now, but weather comes and goes).

To date my longest ride is 32 miles (have several) and trying to get back into shape to work my way back up to 40-50-60+ mile rides.

Fastest speed (downhill and road-permitting) is 35.3 mph. Normally down this same road I would have feathered the brakes having a lesser mph. But with the Silvio's front and rear suspension, I just let-her-go, the grade was 2-7% with roughly 12 mph head-wind. The full suspension gave more confidence on the less than perfect asphalt. The bike felt extremely stable.

I'm no longer conscious of the MBB's pedal steer, it's a thing of the past, and actually has been gone for some time now. The feeling is much like any other bike to me now.

Pedal starts are also easy, no more problem with the bike going to the right or left.

I originally set the bike up with a triple crankset (with the big out ring removed), because I want a granny gear. But did not like the offset which was a total of 6mm's. 3mm to set the right-crank spindle to the right of the BB clamps, and 3mm to move the BB clamps left - all of this so I could clear the granny right BB clamp with the granny ring. First I did not like the aesthetics and second the chainline.

So, I replaced the triple with a compact double 46t-34t, and purchase a 42t cog to work with my Sram 11-36 cassette. I purchased the 42t cog from Wolf Tooth Components. This setup give me 21.6 gear inches for climbing ( I'm running 28mm wide tires BTW) wich is about the same as a 29t granny with a 36t cog (or 28 with a 34 cog). The up-shifts from the 36t cog to the 42t cog is precise and fast, feels no different any other up-shift.

I also, had a problem from the get-go with the up seat back of and neck rest of the stock Silvio due to my back and neck problems. To remedy this I bolted up a Velocraft carbon fiber hard shell seat with a modified Aero Don neck rest and Ventisit seat pad, which is very comfortable for me

So to say the least, I'm stoked and very happy with my Silvio, and look forward to the weather becoming more stable (ha ha) so I can get out from in front this computer and go ride!!

Here are a few images:

Silvio-1(1).jpg

Silvio-2(1).jpg

Compact double 46x34 with a 11-42 cassette.
Silvio-3.jpg

My aero bag works great with the Velokraft seat.
Silvio-4.jpg

The 42 tooth cog and 17 tooth cog removed.
Silvio-5.jpg

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Did that fit that well?

Rick,

Did that Aerobag fit that well on the back of the stock seat?