I own this bike, will it make a good donor?

Kuszdog

I own a schwinn s60 dsx. bought from target. I know I will have to swap out the fork due to the front disc brake. Are there any other potential problems that you can forsee? Also, any suggestions on a good solid fork? Can't wait to hear your ideas.

ak-tux

Zen MBB Master
Your top tube looks too high.

Your top tube looks too high. If you convert it to a cruzbike you will be pertched quite high on it. That may not be desirable becuase you need to be able to place both your feet on the ground when stationary.

Y framed bikes or bikes with a low top tube seem to be the best for conversions.

defjack

Zen MBB Master
  You might be able to get it

You might be able to get it to work.One problem is top tube is pretty steep. Kit seat base is 12 inches and it needs to be around 6-8 inches from seatpost. Front of seat will be around 20 inches from seat post for highth also seat base should be fairly level with not more than 2 inches from front of base to back. So you will have to do some work to get the seat to fit right. Heres one I did. Jack
P1010165.JPG

Kuszdog

Here is a better picture. How

Here is a better picture. How about some fork advice? I am definitly going to try this bike. I think I can find a way to make the seat work.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Unless you're about 7'3",

Unless you're about 7'3", that bike will be a tough fit, as others have said. DO NOT hack the frame up. Been done and it's not safe!

As to the fork, can't you grind the disc brake mounts off?

Mark

Kuszdog

I am 6'2''. And yes I can

I am 6'2''. And yes I can grind them off, there just are no studs for v brake hardware. What about the bike makes you think the kit will be a tough fit?

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
In order to get the seat low

In order to get the seat low as possible, you would have to mount it all the way back. I see two problems. First, you would have to seriously bend the seat post and the other thing is, you would be moving a lot of your weight too far back. In all fairness, without seeing the bike in person, I'm guessing on a lot, but I think it would be a tough fit. When you first get on these bikes, you don't want to be stabbing any farther for the ground than you have to.

On the fork... I didn't think about lack of studs. Truthfully, you can probably score a decent used take-off fork at bike shop.

Mark

defjack

Zen MBB Master
   If you want to know how

If you want to know how high your seat will be measure top tube 20 in from seat tube. If its more than 28 in to ground at that point the seat will be way too high. My silvio is around 23 and Quest 22. Jack

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I just took a closer look at

I just took a closer look at your bike and I see v brake studs on that fork. I see no issues with the fork. I'm back to questioning the frame.

Mark

Kuszdog

Ok, how about this?

So it sounds like you guys dont think this bike will work for me. Conversion kit just arrived and I picked up a gary fisher joshua xo on ebay for 125. Seemed litre a great deal. I have seen a couple of these on the brag board so I know it should work. Are there any known issues with this bike I should know about before I begin?

Kim Tolhurst

Bright bike.

Hi Kuszdog, Bright bike =) Have you seen "How to ride a Cruzbike". You Tube, and FIRST RIDE, www.cruzbiking.com.au ?

These two views are highly complimentary to those who have never been on a recumbent. For the experienced recumbent rider, the key hint is the same.

best, Kim.

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Kuszdog, 
there's something

Kuszdog,
there's something wrong with your seat back. It seems to be mounted back to front?
John

John Tolhurst

Zen MBB Master
Yes, and I'd move the bottle

Yes, and I'd move the bottle cage up to behind the seat using the holes provided there. That will avoid you stubbign your reaching fingers on the rotating front tire ouch!! ;)

Kuszdog

Thanks Kim and John, yea, I

Thanks Kim and John, yea, I watched all the videos I could find, including jims. I have been cruzing around my neighborhood, sometimes it feels like I am serving back and forth and sometimes I can hold it pretty straight. The only real issue I have now is that my front tire binds in the fork if I turn to sharp. I probably need to switch to a non suspension fork. Any suggestions?

Kuszdog

At the top, the fork touches

At the top, the fork touches the tire. The fork is old and bottoms out under my weight.

Kuszdog

I am also thinking about

I am also thinking about trying to lock out the rear suspension. It also bottoms out.