I rode it

BentBierz

Every time I get in these

Every time I get in these discussions I initially forget that the reason I couldn't mix/match road and MTB is because I went with the SRAM 22 (11 speed cassette) and there currently is no compatible 11 speed MTB stuff.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Catch 22

Opps Larry, yep that's an issue. ..or... maybe not.... Does Frankenbike bother you?

If not; then you could cheat for now. The Derailleur doesn't control the travel increments aka the indexing, the shifter does. SRAM shifters are all Linear cable pulls that is why you can interchange them. I'm 90% certain the 22's are still linear pull. If anyone knows otherwise please correct me..... There's enough max and min adjust in any Derailleur to go that full width of the cassette; so it should works just fine; if I'm correct about the linear pull on the brifters.

So if you put a WiFLi 11-32 cassette on it's geared 11,12,13,14,15,17,19,22,25,28,32. With a front 34 or 36 that is a pretty darn wide gear range. You can also swap the 15T sprocket for a 16T. I think is wise for most mortal people to have 16,17 in there. 15,17 is a 83-96 rpm jump. The 14,16,17 tends to give nice clean 80, 88, 96 rpm jumps; that much more linear, never understood them keeping the 15 over the 16.... but I'm no engineer....

Now Granted you can't yet run the 36 ones because 22 gear ones don't ....... oh what you can cheat again You probably could take the BASE sprocket from a mountain cassette and combine it with the rest of the road sprockets. It's definitely Frankenbike but it should fit if you leave off the spacer by the spokes and add a plastic over-shift guard on the spoke side. I wouldd wager the shift step between the road and mountain sprockets might be noisy since the teeth wouldn't be aligned exactly; but it'll still shift through it just fine; bikes did not always have these computer shaped teeth and we still shifted them just fine.

iow

"I went pretty low and almost

"I went pretty low and almost under shot my needs. I have a 52/36 x 110 BCD x 165mm cranks on the front and a 11-32T on the back. I use the lowest gear only on > 10% grades and then I am so close to stalling speed 2-3mph at 60-70 RPMs"

you may need to re-evaluate your cadence - 36 x 32 @ 60 - 70 rpm is 5 - 6 mph (assuming 700c).
if your speed is 2 - 3 mph with 36 x 32, you are probably still over- geared.

JO_CONNOR

11-speed Ultegra!!

I changed to 11-speed Shimano, 53/39 rings, 11-32 cassette, 170mm cranks. What a fantastic range of gearing! I've seen 36 mph down hill, coasting, and then when resuming to spin, I start out slowly and eventually "catch up" to the needed spin rate. That seems to control the wobblies for me.

I have to say, that new Ultegra 6800 11-spd is a work of art. It shifts precisely, tuned perfectly in about 8 minutes after install, and runs true! the gearing fits all situations I've come up to so far, but that granny combo, 39x32, really takes some concentration to keep things going straight.

I couldn't' find an 11-speed shimano free hub that would fit on the cruzbike Aero 67s wheels, so I had to go with something else. Opted for a new Ultergra 6800 wheelset - way nice! I mounted Conti's 4000S II tires, 25mm, with True Goo self sealing tubes. Very smooth ride. and BTW, did NOT take any frame mods to clear the 11spd chain. This is on my Silvio 1.0.

I will post pix in a separate post for enquiring minds.

Cheers.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I thought I would give you

I thought I would give you the story so far.

Synopsis: Problems, mostly of my own making, gradually getting sorted out. I think.

Now for the boring details.

I wanted disk brakes and IGH, so I all I got from Mr Tolhurst was the frame, none of the other bits.

I really wanted the IGH, but after discovering they don't fit I did some inadequate internet research. Inadequate internet research seems to be a recurring theme in my life.

I discovered the Sram XX1 gears, and I was seduced by the idea of having only one chainwheel. I got the White Industries 130 disk hub. I asked White if I could fit XX1 on this and got a vaguely positive reply, so I went ahead and bought all the XX1 parts. It turned out that the freehub body did not fit the XX1 cassette. I sent White a message about this and they said they would start manufacturing a compatible freehub soon. I used the hub, and decided to get some random cheap gears as a stopgap.

I then found that the diameter of the Cruzbike handlebars was too big to fit the brake levers I had bought. I got some cheap straight bars which worked. At least I was now riding the bike. Eventually I changed to these bars, which I already had in the shed.

I needed two sets of shims to make this fit. rear

The main problem now is the gears. I put on an 8-speed cassette which did not have nearly enough range, so I had to get a double chainwheel. I still don't want to spend much money, because I am still hoping White will come up with the goods. The chain keeps dropping. On the way to work, it dropped three times. When it goes, usually it gets somehow jammed between the chainwheel and the crank and takes ages to unjam. I can't stand it, so I for the moment I have given up using the Silvio for long journeys and am using the Grasshopper instead. About a week ago I sent White a message asking when the freehub body would be available. They said a month's time. I don't want to spend much more money on different gears and I still want to avoid a double chainwheel, but I am getting fed-up with waiting for White. They have been saying "next month" for three months.

That is the story so far.

1happyreader

zen/child method
I know it's orange, but.

Bladderhead, I know it's orange, but.

Sell the Silvio frameset.

buy a Quest with.... disk brakes, a single chainring, and 135mm fork spacing.

while riding the fully functional Quest.

sell your other components

save up for the IGH of your dreams.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Progress.  I think.  I sent

Progress. I think. I sent White a message and they said they have just manufactured the first batch of xx1 freehub body. I could not find it in any online shops, but I phoned a shop called Sideways Cycles. They can get it for me. About 4 weeks, they say. So I will get it, eventually.

For now, I will continue using the rubbish gears I have. The bike is great. Goes like a rocket. I feel like Lance Armstrong.

As long as I stay on the small chainring.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
New freewheel derailleur and

New freewheel derailleur and I adjusted the chainwheel one. I have to wait another month to get the XX1 fitted on, but I am riding it more. I have been using it to go to the shops. Hard to carry stuff. I am going to have to look at the bag-related threads on this forum.

Still hard to manoevre at slow speed. I have found that from going shopping. Going to have to practice more.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
Sideways Cycles says the

Sideways Cycles says the XX1 driver body is on its way. I was starting to find that the seat felt a bit weird. I had a conversion but I un-converted it, so I put the bum-half of the conversion seat on the Silvio. I was sliding forwards, but that is solved. Conversion seat is wider and longer and curved. I drilled extra holes in it and bolted it to the sticky-out bracket things on the Silvio body.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
It seems to improve the

It seems to improve the handling. Don't know why. Also more speed, I think, but my speedo broke yesterday.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I fitted the Xx1 driver body.

I fitted the Xx1 driver body. Works well. The steering seems slightly more stable. Maybe because the front is lighter. I think I am faster, but I have yet to get a new speedo. I spun out on the steepest descent, and I have the biggest chainring Sram make. Raceface do a bigger one, but I know not where to buy it.

I recommend it, if you can get a big enough chainwheel.

The freewheel does not seem to fit over the splines of the driver body. It does not slide on. I thought it did not fit. I had to screw it down with a lockring tool, and it went on smoothly. the splines and the inner surface of the freewheel must be made to microscopic tolerance, because it will not push on.

I did not post that picture of someone's Vendetta. Someone's Vendetta has hijacked the thread. It might start trolling and flaming Silvios.