I sense a disturbance in the 3rd Law

jond

Zen MBB Master

Hi ratz. I was wondering if you pursued any radar option.

I see Garmin have the varia radar rear flashing tail light now out for over a year

It is compatible with their current head units or a purpose built specific head unit is available which stupidly lacks an audio alert that the gps head units do.
The reviews seem very positive. I know you run a wahoo head unit and likely the bolt is a better unit than the Garmin 520.

But this safety measure is now worth some serious consideration.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hi ratz. I was wondering if you pursued any radar option.

I see Garmin have the varia radar rear flashing tail light now out for over a year

It is compatible with their current head units or a purpose built specific head unit is available which stupidly lacks an audio alert that the gps head units do.
The reviews seem very positive. I know you run a wahoo head unit and likely the bolt is a better unit than the Garmin 520.

But this safety measure is now worth some serious consideration.

I looked at it but felt the tailight was too dim to be effective in daylight. the radar seem like a fancy mirror that gives less info. For a roadie that won't use mirrors I can see it as useful.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I looked at it but felt the tailight was too dim to be effective in daylight. the radar seem like a fancy mirror that gives less info. For a roadie that won't use mirrors I can see it as useful.

On the Garmin edge it gives audible warning and visual indicator of speed distance and also numbers of cars.

I think the dedicated head unit is poor.

Might help with that surprise car when we inevitably drift off the mirror checks. I think you are right re brightness and would always run a second rear light.

I think a bright flashing be seen light is the first line of defence driver awareness much better than a flag or Fluro from behind . So the radar for rider info only. I'm tempted.

Don1

Guru
i always run front and rear day flashes. the rear flash is hard to find one with decent run time. the brontrager flare r looks the best.. 70lm for 13hrs from memory... knog also good but not as long

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
i always run front and rear day flashes. the rear flash is hard to find one with decent run time. the brontrager flare r looks the best.. 70lm for 13hrs from memory... knog also good but not as long

Designshine is gone so this is the best
http://store.dinottelighting.com/da...-seat-stay-chain-stay-or-rack-mount-p188.aspx

But they are migrating to internal batteries.
http://store.dinottelighting.com/2018-quad-red-taillight-with-built-in-battery-p111.aspx

http://store.dinottelighting.com/20...ith-2018-quad-red-taillight-package-p217.aspx

super slim

Zen MBB Master
The Dinnotte Daylight is GREAT for day time riding, but the brightness of the flashing light can NOT be decreased at night, like the Designshine, so if riding at night aim the rear light towards the ground!

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I’m waiting for you to drop some coin on one of those real time CDA calculating aero pods that are on the horizon. Could go a long way toward dialing in race setup for 24 hour events and such.

ed72

Zen MBB Master
Are Chung on a Stick devices commercially available? I doubt I'll ever get one but aero testing is a pain. You need a very calm day. You need an isolated loop or a half pipe. Do you collect the data and return home to analyze? Do you bring a laptop to analyze? You need a control each day. You need to correct to atmospheric pressure, humidity, temperature, etc. What if you want to try different clothing? Where to change. It is a day of no training. A bigger question is how effective is testing a zero wind and zero yaw when real world conditions are far more turbulent. Where I think such a device would help is in optimizing body position because it is easy to fall back into the less efficient position,so, such a device would give real-time feedback. figuring out the fastest helmet or kit is easy.

tiltmaniac

Zen MBB Master
One of my friends is working on a sensor that would measure 3-axis windspeed for airplanes (currently a pod strapped to a wingstrut of a plane). Airplanes are his passion. I keep telling him that this pod would make some (not huge, but enoughe money in cycling land which could help fund the more rigorous testing needed for flying...

It'b be pretty amazing to be able to get real world data on crosswind effects on cda...

Balor

Zen MBB Master
Are Chung on a Stick devices commercially available?

Chung on a stick! :D

Where I think such a device would help is in optimizing body position because it is easy to fall back into the less efficient position,so, such a device would give real-time feedback. figuring out the fastest helmet or kit is easy.

Yea, my point exactly. It may be actually better than wind tunnel for TT guys... you can test in conditions that are much more realistic indeed.

jond

Zen MBB Master
Like the cyclic cameras. Especially without lights on high. Plus additional. Lezyne zecto 250 lumen flash front rear .