I sense a disturbance in the 3rd Law

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
nice space plenty of room you have ratz to get into it.

Sadly that's only until the remodel then I'm to the garage. But it sure is nice for the time being. I pounded out 4 bike retoolings in record time. Now if the parts get here it's build diary time. In the mean time; it's all new trainer setup.
IMG_4969 (1).jpg

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
O such a cavernous space, and so tidy! My shed is like a skin stretched around an enormous sphere of tools, bike parts I bought and tried and decided against, and uncategorised junk. In the middle is a tiny cavity into which the Silvio and the Grasshopper are slotted like posted letters. They are so well camouflaged even I have difficulty finding them.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Where are ALL the OTHER Cruzbikes hiding??????

Jond , you should move to South Australia, as we have had the car from Cyclist 1.0 m clearance in 60 kph zones and 1.5 m for 80 kph and higher, with a $347 fine, since Oct 25th!!!!!!!

https://www.sa.gov.au/topics/transport-travel-and-motoring/cycling/cyclist-road-rules-and-safety

It has made a marginal difference !!!!

ratz

Project update:

There will be a build diary on BROL. Meanwhile the detailed experimentation and weird stuff will be in this thread as I go.

So here are some of the developments in the mad selection of parts and research thus far.

Handlebars.... you knew there would be handle bars galore didn't you? you are correct.

Salsa WoodChipper2 bars and Salsa Cowbell 2 bars both to be tested and compared on the curved slider with check backs to the Garybar of old and on some On-One Midge Bars the I'm bringing in from the UK (gives me a take on the up-charges our non-US tribe members suffer through).

The Cowbell2 looks it might work better for shorter riders like Mrs. Ratz; but might not have enough reach to create leg room. I would really like to get some Salsa Cowchippers, but those might now be out of production; they certainly are out of stock.

Meanwhile on the Bullhorn front an exciting development. Profile Desgin has released the Airwing OS with longer (non UCI) reach... about flipping time someone did that...stupid UCI. A pair of those setup up with Di2 TT gear, or Sram Etap TT could be spectacular; I'm guessing they might be better than the defunct CB Bullhors. I might just have to waste some coin and time to validate that. Too bad I can kickerstarter that :).... Likewise you could take those bar, cut off the curve part and you'd have bull horn brifters with more reach. Not sure which of that I will explore. Suggestions? I'm torn. I know from experience on a Vendetta there is and advantage having some drop bar below the brifter to pull and bear down on. The curved slider will definitely play into those thoughts too.

Brakes.... I love the stopping power of the Ultegra 6800's but since this will be a hybrid build with Rotor Cranks, and SRAM eTap. I am thinking of trying Omega X TT brakes Pretty sure it will be great on the front and that center pull would keep the cable out of the leg zone. Not sure about the rear.

000_Store_292.jpg

We are going with Jagwire again for the cabling. After Much research since this a Brake only build I have decided that Elite Link would be wasted; as only the stuff in the wind would be links... Understand I still consider Elite Link the bomb for Gear shifting since they result in season long shifting that stays in tune. Also there will be no hydralic because etap doesn't support it yet; and no disc or hybrid TRP hydraulic disc because our uber rims aren't built with disc hubs and I'm not convince disc brakes don't run counter to the V20's massive aero advantage. Therefore since I'll be going continuous housing through the body of the bike I have settled on Jagwire Pro Brake and the compassionless design. I could have gone with Yokozuna but I have the tools and experience with Jagwire so I'm sticking with what I know. Yokozuna is actually slightly cheaper.

JAG_Housing_KEB_Brake.jpg

In-order to get enough cable housing lengths I could by bulk from bikeman.com but of course we wanted colored cables and only black and white come in bulk. To get colors we had to buy kits (Mrs Ratz is going to be Cruzbike Orange, and mine is Carbon & Camoflauge. ). Unfortunately with the RoadBike kits the Rear is just barely long enough for the rear run on a Medium and supper tight on the front, so we have to get the MTB kits which lack the Jagwire EZ-Bend Housing Segments for 5mm Pro Compression-less Brake Housing. If you want to do brifters with compression-less cable; those ez-bend make the setup and taping way easier. Fortunately you can get them from Bikeman.com and the are only $11 for 6 units. So MTB kits with the extra part and we are golden.... Of course Orange has been discontinued in the MTB kits...and the lizard skins, apparently orange and dirt don't go together, but the Internet to the rescue and I scored some back stock.

Lastly the drive train is coming into focus. These will not be mountain goat setups; this season. Etap does not have it's Wifli setup yet; and certainly no XO mountain bike gearing. This year we'll be limited to 28T max on the back. Next year Wifli will come out; making 32T an options just like Di2. If we like Etap we can ebay off the RD's and get more range next season. In the mean time the XG-1190 cassette look very intriguing with the Elastomers, I bscored some for ⅓ of list so we are going give those a try. Last year I tried a high-end Durace cassette and we impressed; should be interesting to see if the 1190 can out perform my beloved 1070 series. Historically the 1090 line didn't have the wide range options making 1070 the one choice from SRAM, thats not the case in 11speed 1090 has the full spectrum. If we don't like the 1190 then we'll go back to Dura Ace 9000 like I used on the Di2. Note: Dura Ace 9000 maxes out at 28T too; you have to drop down to Ultegra to get 32T. If the 1190 turns out to be solid that will be awesome as they are offering 32T versions even if the ETap RD's don't yet support that.

I think that's all for now accept for this development right here:

IMG_4978.jpg

Last edited:

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz, I could see the Rubber mallet on the bench in front of the 4 draws of tools, bolts etc, so I KNEW you were getting ready to work!!!!

I HOPE you did NOT use it when preparing your Silvio (?? name) for transport!!!

ratz

Ratz, I could see the Rubber mallet on the bench in front of the 4 draws of tools, bolts etc, so I KNEW you were getting ready to work!!!!

I HOPE you did NOT use it when preparing your Silvio (?? name) for transport!!!
I've been thinking it should be in every photo of the build diary :eek:

jond

Zen MBB Master
tough choice on the handlebar set up ratz. i think practicality is in favour of the woodchipper style bars with more hand positions available and with the new curved slider will afford the most practical comfortable versatile ride. i love my bullhorns but limited hand positions can be painful on long rides. but i feel they are speedier being more aero. looking forward to your build.

please please post your build diary here too ratz :) dont venture onto brol.

i think it is generally accepted that aero is lost a little with disc brakes. at least that is my anecdotal reading.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
setup up with Di2 TT gear, or Sram Etap TT could be spectacular
As they say in Spain "Totalmente" (absolutely). After my aero bullhorns experiment I wholeheartedly concur. It actually makes me salivate (drool) !:D:D:cool::cool::cool: (way cool)

ratz

Since the V20 is now several shades of grey, it's was probably time for some sexy sharp metal..:eek:

The new XG-1190 Cassettes showed up. Except for the 11T and lock ring it's 1 solid part and it's feather light. Very impressed I expect it will be very quite on the bike with those elastomers between the rings

IMG_4989.jpg IMG_4990.jpg IMG_4992.jpg

ratz

I was also surprised that no one has really pointed out that the new V20 is Metal flake. Far better looking in person than any photos I've seen.

IMG_4987.jpg

IMG_4985.jpg IMG_4986.jpg IMG_4984.jpg IMG_4988.jpg

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
the new V20 is Metal flake. Far better looking in person than any photos I've seen.
The metal flakes make it go faster! :p
I sprinkle "extra" metal flakes on mine before every race!
It's kind of like "fairy dust", but way better! :D;) - probably has some kind of anti-gravitational aspect to it, so my 70KG really only feels like 30KG on the V!
The secret is out now - but I just check the "inventory" - and it seems like Cruzbike is all out of "extra" metal flakes for now. :eek:

ratz

The metal flakes make it go faster! :p
I sprinkle "extra" metal flakes on mine before every race!
It's kind of like "fairy dust", but way better! :D;) - probably has some kind of anti-gravitational aspect to it, so my 70KG really only feels like 30KG on the V!

Are you sure you haven't been using Graphite powder by mistake? That would explain the slipping and sliding.:oops:

Sabrina reminded me when they arrived that technically she had the very first black metal flake Cruzbike; even it was a Quest, she was there first.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Are you sure you haven't been using Graphite powder by mistake? That would explain the slipping and sliding.:oops:
Yes it would, and of course the lack of air! Man, I hate it when I get all those little bottles of "secret stuff" misS-labeled!