I sense a disturbance in the 3rd Law

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Definitely will be doubling back to cut the Fork stem; right now I can't see down the boom; the boom on the yellow vendetta sat much lower of the slotting which allowed it to come down over the fork stem. That was immediately obvious when sitting on the bike.

Here's few behind the scenes photos for those that find that interesting. Note the gash in my tire; if you wonder if tubeless works there is your proof. My tire holds air for 24 hours even with the cut which goes clean through; just notice it for the first time today. Last fall I just thought I had a bad mounting, now it makes more sense. Guess it's a good thing I ordered those new Schwable Pro Ones yesterday.

DSC05873.jpg DSC05850.jpgDSC05876.jpgDSC05880.jpg DSC05881.jpgIMG_5003.jpg

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
I never could get a bare wire to work well in the body of the bike. The other thing is it work better if you can zip strip, with a some one, the wire to the frame so that it's does not move when you actuate it. I had that problem on the silvio "Too much wire in the frame", it moved and thus felt spongy.

Good to know. Makes me doubly glad i haven't taped the bars yet; like Mark said changing that out is easy(easier, anyway) at this point. Was not liking the spongy feel.
I like Lizard Skin too. Not as stretchy as 'cork' tape but stretchy enough and way tougher.
Loving the build diary too btw.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Has the front derailleur 180 degree pulley and cable outer end stop, been added to the Silvio S30 yet?
What is the larger hole below the stalk for?

ratz

Has the front derailleur 180 degree pulley and cable outer end stop, been added to the Silvio S30 yet?
What is the larger hole below the stalk for?

The photos of the S30 I've seen clearly show a cable heading for the spot that the cable stop is on the stalk; so the stop appears to be there. The pulley would then be required to turn the cable, but I've not seen any photos. Since the S30 and v20 (I believe) now share the same boom and sider it would make sense for the cabling to be the same.

The larger hole is the same as on previous models. If you didn't want to run housing to the derailleur for shift performance reasons you could run naked cable like we have in the past. It also give you a way to get cabling for lights out to the nose of the bike. My guess it's utility for various purpose meant it should stay.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Here is a Photo of history repeating itself!!
My NEW 2008 Silvio V1.0, WITH cable pulley!

P1030439.JPG
full

Here is a photo of a whistling S30 with the hole taped over, AND also shows the pulley and cable end stop!

Having an cable outer close to the derailleur means that my 1.0 kg tool, pump and tubes bag could be velcroed tight to the steerer tube!

ratz

Handle bars in the house.

Peaking ahead here are the 4 handle bars we are going to compare for differences in leg clearance and brifter angles.

What we have in the "lab" is the stock Cruzbike bars, the Midge bars, Cowbell MD2, and the WoodChipper. As always it's hard to photograph the difference but here's a partial attempt.

1. Cruzbike bars angle out early and go wide. This gives the potential for thigh interference and leave the hands the furthest outboard.
  2. The Midge is almost a perfect clone of the Gary2Bar, but they angle out later leaving more leg room than the Garys, and point more forward than the cruzbike. The final hand position is just slightly short of the width of the cruzbike bar position. But the brifters will point more forward; making them a nice bullhorn out of the brifter body. Unlike the Garybars you don't need cut off the end of the bars
  3. The Cowbell's are the same width but a perfectly 90 degree; provide even more leg room. The brifter position becomes almost straight forward. The reach forward is just a little shorter that the Midge. These bars will need the ends trimmed
  4. The woodchipper share the shape of the cowbell. But they then actually angle inward at the brifers. This is not something I'd noticed in any one else pictures. I'd say they angle back in toward the knees at about 5 degrees. The ends of these bar would need to be cut off.
I'm really looking forward to mounting brifers on these and putting them on the bikes for comparison. Alas I have no spare brifters in the shop right now and it will be several weeks before the SRAM stuff gets here. So we'll have to wait on that one.

DSC05889.jpg DSC05892.jpg

jond

Zen MBB Master
The woodchipper share the shape of the cowbell
hi ratz i take it you checked out the salsa cowchipper an inbetween woodchipper and cowbell. all the bars seem to have close-ish reach about 76-96mm and drop 110-126. the cowchipper looks a good option along with the cowbell. cowbell probably a bit more focused which would lead me back to bullhorns. easier to hang onto the flare on a long ride. might order a set of cowchippers and see if i am over the moooooooooooo........nnnn.

great photos ratz. thanks again for your extensive research. i have directly benefited so many many times i am so grateful . blush. my v2 owed a lot to your incredible sharing. thanks mate you are a beaut. cheers jd and of course the sharing never stops from many an individual's take on things. fine effort. cruzbike is team.

Last edited:

ratz

hi ratz i take it you checked out the salsa cowchipper an inbetween woodchipper and cowbell. all the bars seem to have close-ish reach about 76-96mm and drop 110-126. the cowchipper looks a good option along with the cowbell.

Cowchippers are out of stock everywhere so either a rev 2 is coming or they killed them for a lack of sales.

ratz

There are bullhorns missing.
Will that say Mrs. Ratz let drop the Deda Crononeros?

We have several pairs. But they get a bit low on the old v2 vendetta. They will get tested on the new style boom. One problem we have is that the ETAP will max out at 28T this year . So we may need the drops for baring down during the climbs. Rest assured we will still test for the rest of you. I also have a surprise bullhorn that I found but need to fid a source for.

Apollo

The Cowbell MD2 looks like a great set of bars. The fact they angle out very little like regular road bars is a plus in my opinion. I've often wondered how it would feel riding on the hoods on a bar that angles the brifter hoods. I tried to emulate this on a track Nitto ADB-X bar I have and I couldn't get a comfortable hand position. Straight forward feels much better like riding the hoods on a road DF. I haven't seen any comments about this on the forum.

Bob, what are the widths in cm of the four bars pictured? I'm curious how narrow a bar I can get away with and not experience frequent leg contact. The occasional leg contact I wouldn't mind that much. I have drop bars and a bullhorn in 44cm and I can source 46cm non-angled drop bars if necessary, maybe 48cm.

ratz

The Cowbell MD2 looks like a great set of bars. The fact they angle out very little like regular road bars is a plus in my opinion. I've often wondered how it would feel riding on the hoods on a bar that angles the brifter hoods. I tried to emulate this on a track Nitto ADB-X bar I have and I couldn't get a comfortable hand position. Straight forward feels much better like riding the hoods on a road DF. I haven't seen any comments about this on the forum.

Bob, what are the widths in cm of the four bars pictured? I'm curious how narrow a bar I can get away with and not experience frequent leg contact. The occasional leg contact I wouldn't mind that much. I have drop bars and a bullhorn in 44cm and I can source 46cm non-angled drop bars if necessary, maybe 48cm.

They are some of the widest you can get, the GarySweep is the widest of all (not pictured) I just sold both of those with the Silvios; The Sweeps were great on the Silvio but IMO to wide for a Vendetta; I'll get proper measurement in upcoming updates, but it might be few days (it's month end, and I have at least 4 Diary updates queued in the photo bank already).

super slim

Zen MBB Master
DSC05844.jpg
Is this insert for the cable entry into the frame installed in the correct direction?

GREAT photos and detailed install descriptions!
I can now see why you are taking more time than others to build you new babies!

I have not spotted ANY black Thor hammers in the photos!!!
Do I need to look more carefully?

The metal Flake paintwork in this photo looks stunning, as does the PERFECT wide even welding!!!
That has to have be done by a computer, as no human could be that steady!

DSC05844.jpg DSC05825.jpg DSC05828.jpg

As a Southerner from DEEP South, like Down Under, and only having older Cruzbikes before the evolution of low seat backs, and headrests, AND reading about all the horror stories of early headrests installs with scissor jacks ??? and needing fingers of a 2 year old child, I was wondering if this new clamp assemble has any moving parts?

Is it just a rubber coated dumb clamp, with no moving parts, that the two bolts which go through the frame top, just pull the clamp towards the frame locking the two DSC05801.jpg sliding headrest tubes in position?

Is it possible to get a photo of this clamping arrangement on a open ended frame, so the arrangement of the clamp, bolts, and sliding tubes can be seen?

ratz

Is this insert for the cable entry into the frame installed in the correct direction?

It's weld on so I hope so. It's same as all the previous bikes.

Is it just a rubber coated dumb clamp, with no moving parts, that the two bolts which go through the frame top, just pull the clamp towards the frame locking the

It's still two scissors clamps, with two foam rubber spacer between the claps and wrapped in tape. The installation is exactly the same as the old version really. But the foam and tape keeps everything in position making it tons easier to accomplish.

I have not spotted ANY black Thor hammers in the photos!!!
It's there in the last photo last night.

jond

Zen MBB Master
as blackboard said to mr squiggle "hurry up" :) waiting with abated breath i am going blue in the face. patience grasshopper i know................ you never said you were going to torture us ratz in your pre-amble but you did say a month............but not a calendar month and it is february very very soon.

scabinetguy

At it again,for those of you that like compact crank sets and smaller gear cogs, this may be a solution. This method is apparently used by a few recumbent manufacturers. This allows for proper height adjustment of the front derailleur. The example is fairly crude( I didn't have any 1 3/8" aluminum rod ) but you can get the idea. This is an old down tube mount.

Attachments

• DSC_5098 copy.jpg
    DSC_5098 copy.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 54