I sense a disturbance in the 3rd Law

jond

Zen MBB Master
Can't wait for these to ship to finish up the build; and now I'm really excited to get going on this.

ratz i have seen a set of etap out in the wild. you are right to be excited. stunning . enjoying the build diary.

going to order a set of cowbells too as like you cannot find the cowchippers anywhere.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
It looks like the Thor Hammer has landed, but has been well used, and is back prominently in in the pictures!!!!

Those new front brakes look stunning!!!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Estimates place that between the middle of February to the end of April.
Well, it's almost "mid-February", but late March - ouch - man if you have to wait that long, might be time to cry a little in anticipation

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Well, it's almost "mid-February", but late March - ouch - man if you have to wait that long, might be time to cry a little in anticipation

Yeah but we have the other frames on the the trainers to cause plenty of pain so there already crying occurring.

What I'm really worried about is full group sets ship first; so since we didn't get the cranks what will the delay be? June? July? September?

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Yeah but we have the other frames on the the trainers to cause plenty of pain so there already crying occurring.
Yeah, truthfully - I have never been able to reach the level of pain on the open road as I do on the trainer.
First of all there is not a road or a route around that would allow me to go 4 or more hours without a break or even a letup in pedal power...
Closest I have come might possibly be riding hard on a track or veledrome.. but I think physiologically you know you can't really wreck on the trainer (although some have been know to fall off - haha) so that allows you to give it that "extra" until you are wasted.
Do that on the open road or in a big group and you might swerve into traffic or just fall over... :(

ratz

Oh and this thread is now open for discussion. When we do etap that will appear as Diary installment Part 2 as a separate thread. So have at it any questions on the build so far?

jond

Zen MBB Master
bob i saw some weld spatter on some of the pics of the frameset . this spatter was inside the frame where the rear triangle connects so not really spatter as it emanates from outside weld to inside frame. i noticed the same too. but it was not present on the v2.

did you find similar???. i dont think it is an issue at all and the frame looks as you say great and is beautifully finished. perhaps it is a different group in taiwan manufacturing the frame with a slightly different weld technique.

did your touchup paint leak in it's zip lock bag too? pretty common. this could be fixed by underfilling and pulling a partial vacuum on the contents before flight. (squeeze bottle in and put cap on)

with the handlebar i am going to try drops to add hand positions instead of my bullhorns..... but i share the common concern of hand grip maintenance especially over a long day.

very likely not a problem but i was wondering if anyone had tried to use formed grips or such with a stop at the end like a bmx bike grip etc. i know you would have to try and source the right diameter grips.

with your excellent spreadsheet the weight total in grams between two configurations seem to be back to front. pounds okay.???

when you get to part two of your build you should continue it here and delete / move all extraneous comments to the disturbance 3 laws thread.

you should then make it a sticky as it is a great resource already. thanks.

ratz

bob i saw some weld spatter on some of the pics of the frameset . this spatter was inside the frame where the rear triangle connects so not really spatter as it emanates from outside weld to inside frame. i noticed the same too. but it was not present on the v2.

did you find similar???. i dont think it is an issue at all and the frame looks as you say great and is beautifully finished. perhaps it is a different group in taiwan manufacturing the frame with a slightly different weld technique.

It think that is splatter from when the frame end cap (where the headrest goes in) was welded on. I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't attempt to clean it up. As you notice it's right by the triangle assembly so just in case I left it alone.

very likely not a problem but i was wondering if anyone had tried to use formed grips or such with a stop at the end like a bmx bike grip etc. i know you would have to try and source the right diameter grips.
The make those for road bars. I find the get sweaty. I would install say get some 3.5mm lizard skins and wrap you own. That 3.5mm stuff is super squishy.

with your excellent spreadsheet the weight total in grams between two configurations seem to be back to front. pounds okay.???

The Reynolds wheels weigh a lot more; and I left off a few accessories on purpose. I was trying to show that the most expensive bike isn't always the lightest bike.

did your touchup paint leak in it's zip lock bag too? pretty common. this could be fixed by underfilling and pulling a partial vacuum on the contents before flight. (squeeze bottle in and put cap on)

Mine came perfect but that might be because it's the hand painted version; both bikes the paint is intact. I'm sure there's a better way to do it; but it's probably cost prohibitive for all concerned.

jond

Zen MBB Master
I wasn't 100% sure so I didn't attempt to clean it up. As you notice it's right by the triangle assembly so just in case I left it alone.

yes i had the same spatter on the v20 core frame but left it alone as well. makes it a cut hazard for frame storage items and hands so i will either sand sharps down or avoid frame storage items. i noticed over time the velcro strip on the v2 frame eventually came loose with repeated removal of the seat and i needed to re-glue. so not using frame storage is beneficial for seat stability if you bolt it down.

i find my upstand is not strong enough really to support my bike and i do not use it as i had to find a way to stabilise the front wheel usually with a rock. it is easier to just lay the bike over or trust a wall. but the photos do not look as good :)

where do you/will you store your pump if not on the seat?????????

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Bob, I've enjoyed the build diary so far. Too bad about the delay for the brifters. The front brake is a work of art. Looking forward to seeing videos of you and Lady Ratz this summer.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Bob, I've enjoyed the build diary so far. Too bad about the delay for the brifters. The front brake is a work of art. Looking forward to seeing videos of you and Lady Ratz this summer.
He could visit you down South, in California, where the weather is like the GREAT Down Under Country!!!, to get away from his Arctic weather in the northern extremes of USA!!!!

ratz

I totaly agree, it's just limit. Regrettable because it's a nice design

I've had a lot better luck with the new all carbon upstand, but I always have to fold the fork 180 degrees opposite the side of the of the pole. we'll see how it works on the new v20 as it always worked better on the yellow vendetta than the black silvios.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
I am very interested to hear how that front brake works once you get a chance to ride test it.

Excellent diary!

As a Southerner from DEEP South, like Down Under, and only having older Cruzbikes before the evolution of low seat backs, and headrests, AND reading about all the horror stories of early headrests installs with scissor jacks ??? and needing fingers of a 2 year old child, I was wondering if this new clamp assemble has any moving parts?
I never got mine to work I just put my neckrest in loose and it stays where I put it

jond

Zen MBB Master
never got mine to work I just put my neckrest in loose and it stays where I put it

barry surely it moves when you ride over any uneven surface???? how do you know it does not move???

if i did not have scissor jacks in then even the act of picking up the bike would have the headrest move???

or have i merely misunderstood......................doh