If I can build up an S30, so can you

super slim

Zen MBB Master
That looks about where I ride. My extended leg is not quite fully extended (locked straight), my upper thigh just barely touches the bar on the upstroke, and there's about a right angle at the knee. Your elbows at your side with more than 90 degree bend is similar.
With your leg fully extended, your heel should be able to touch the pedal!

hoyden

With your leg fully extended, your heel should be able to touch the pedal!
I just tried this out. With my leg fully extended (knee locked) I can just barely touch the pedal with my heel. That's an interesting criteria that is easy to test.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Kline, how is your new headrest cover attached to the rigid back?
Any photos?

Slim, it comes with a couple of screws w lock washers that attach the abs plastic to the metal backing. Is that what you're asking? Or about the fabric cover? The cover has elastic in the hem that holds it in place. Hang on will try to get a decent pic.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Slim, it comes with a couple of screws w lock washers that attach the abs plastic to the metal backing. Is that what you're asking? Or about the fabric cover? The cover has elastic in the hem that holds it in place. Hang on will try to get a decent pic.
It is the fabric cover fixing I was interested in.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Hard to tell from the photo but i wonder if you moved the adjustable headrest up 1-2 cm if that would keep the headrst bar from pushing your helmet?
Moved it up 2.5 to 3 cm. It worked quite well on today's ride. When I first set it up, I hadn't taken into account that there would be some "give" when there was weight on the neckrest.

I think the BB is too far away, with an extended foot, but Maria P also rides the same way!
I think you were right. I tried the heel-on-pedal test and found myself barely able to graze the pedal, so I brought the boom in 5 mm. It felt good, and I was faster, but I could feel pulling in the upper calf muscles. I suspect I need to change the OCP# on the Q-rings--it feels like the largest part of the ring is coming too late.

hoyden

This will balance knee angle, crank arm angle, and chain ring diameter so that each pedal stroke feels smooth.
I just checked my bike and that's about where I have my ring set. The ring has numbers 1 and 3 at topside where the chain link rises from the BB to the ring. My first full link engaging the ring is one link off from position #1 on the opposite side from #3.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
Finally got the homemade utility post finished and installed. It's a 6" length of 3/4" ID PVC pipe, with a 9mm thick mounting bracket made of Lexan, epoxied and zip-tied to the pipe (my husband was afraid the epoxy alone wouldn't be strong enough), and sprayed with several coats of Plasti-Dip by my 16-year-old. The bracket fits snugly between the bottle cage brackets, with holes drilled so it can rest on the ends of the cage screws. Not as aesthetically pleasing as the official CB version, but it was a labor of love by my menfolks. (The photo is angled because the bike is on the workstand.)

IMG_1181 lightened.jpg

The adjusted headrest position has been comfortable on rides up to 17 miles. The Tuesday-night 20-mile group ride starts back this week, with the advent of spring and daylight savings time, so we'll see how the S30 feels on a mostly-flat course.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I would have expected some Lime Green/Yellow reflective tape on the vertical plastic tubing, to match your helmet and jacket!!!!!
And the water bottle is a PALE white colour!

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
The Tuesday-night 20-mile group ride starts back this week, with the advent of spring and daylight savings time, so we'll see how the S30 feels
The S30 felt pretty good! Averaged right at 16 mph, which considering my current fitness level and that I'm still getting used to the bike, isn't bad. I was able to stay in the big ring for short climbs that I'd have gone to the small ring for on the Silvio 1.5. The reach to the pedals felt right, the Q-rings felt right, the neckrest position felt right. No more helmet interference with the headrest tubes. I'm starting to feel like Buzz Lightyear when I put the shield on...:rolleyes:

As I was putting the S30 back on the bike carrier after the ride, another rider, a gentleman with a lot of white hair, asked me how I liked Cruzing. :eek:
Said he has a friend in Fayette, Ala., that he used to ride with, who just got one of those Cruzbikes. "He's crashed it several times learning to ride, but he likes it. He tells me how much he's learning on those forums."
"Alabama? What's his name?"
" @Kerry Kerr "
:cruzbike:

Kerry Kerr

The S30 felt pretty good! Averaged right at 16 mph, which considering my current fitness level and that I'm still getting used to the bike, isn't bad. I was able to stay in the big ring for short climbs that I'd have gone to the small ring for on the Silvio 1.5. The reach to the pedals felt right, the Q-rings felt right, the neckrest position felt right. No more helmet interference with the headrest tubes. I'm starting to feel like Buzz Lightyear when I put the shield on...:rolleyes:

As I was putting the S30 back on the bike carrier after the ride, another rider, a gentleman with a lot of white hair, asked me how I liked Cruzing. :eek:
Said he has a friend in Fayette, Ala., that he used to ride with, who just got one of those Cruzbikes. "He's crashed it several times learning to ride, but he likes it. He tells me how much he's learning on those forums."
"Alabama? What's his name?"
" @Kerry Kerr "
:cruzbike:
How bout that? Where'd you meet him? Yes , I'm loving this thing. Now probably going to sell the bacchetta aero , the V is so much more versatile, no foot problems, easy faster, and much better on my back at the 20 degree angle. My guess its DR Bob.

castlerobber

Zen MBB Master
How bout that? Where'd you meet him?
Out-and-back group ride from Madison to Canton. He didn't tell me his name. I was so surprised that someone knew what a Cruzbike was--especially since I hadn't noticed any other recumbents on the ride--that I forgot to ask.

I just looked up the "Painless in Flowood" recumbent rally report from two years ago, trying to find Dr. Bob's last name and photo, and discovered that you had ridden Ian Sims' prototype Greenspeed Aero in the time trials. So we've probably met.