I'm Back! Well..... Sorta.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I've been all too long off the Cruzbike, again. I got all tangled up with motorcycles for a while. Anything with two wheels, I guess. I decided my britches were getting too tight and my wind running short, but I knew just what to do.

A buddy talked me into doing a ride in December and that was fun. Just a nice, easy 20 miler, but fun.

After the first of the year, I decided I was going to get myself whipped back into shape, so I lubed up the chain, pumped up the tires and did a ride last weekend at my own pace, which is usually all that I can bear. Pretty much a flat ride of the 23 mile range and just over a 15 mph average. The climbs, though they were few, really taxed my lungs and on one little uphill, I though I might have a chest cavity explosion. Of course, it didn't happen, but I swear it was close!

I've been spending my lunch hours walking and climbing stairs in an effort to further the fitness cause and it seems to be paying dividends. Today, I went out and did basically the same ride, but extended it on both ends, such that I ended up with 41 miles. Yes, I probably overdid it, but the climbs that I suffered on last week were much better, I barely noticed them. I had fun on the way out when I jumped in behind a couple roadies. I didn't have the confidence to blast around them; I figured they would probably reel me right back in, so I sat on their six and half-listened to their political conversation. They didn't know I was there for the longest time and finally, one of them noticed and leaned over to talk quietly with his friend. They picked up the pace a little and pulled away from me momentarily, but I caught right back up to them on a short little climb. I heard the one guy say, "He's still there!" They pulled over at the next turnout and let me go past. I sat at my turnaround for a few minutes and stretched my legs a little. Those guys came past and pretended to not see me. Another older couple I had passed stopped and remarked about my bike, referring to it as "that thing". It always cracks me up how people always refer to it that way. I was feeling pretty good. I hadn't expected to chase down roadies... In fact, I went out of my way not too. I was sitting at my turnaround with a 16.2 average and thinking.... "Heck, I'll be back up to speed in no time!' Reality set in on the long river grade haul back home, which toasted my average. I was running a solid 16.2 average most of the ride, but dipped just below 15 to finish the ride at 14.9. Slow, but I was happy with it, for now, only my third ride back and toting several extra pounds.

Those that know me may remember I used to run with a local bike club. I am looking forward to riding with them again, but will wait until I feel like I can jump in and not slow anybody down. Oh sure, they would wait for me, but I'd feel obliged to apologize all over myself and regale them with all my glory years stories. I don't want to be that guy.

It was a fun day and glad to be back on the Cruzbike. My riding technique certainly hasn't suffered, despite the extended (2-3) year layoff.

Mark

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
"Heck, I'll be back up to speed in no time!
Welcome back - Sounds you are ready to come and join us at Sebring next weekend.
Ratz can send you the "train for the Century in a week workout program", and you'll be with the pack.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Welcome back - Sounds you are ready to come and join us at Sebring next weekend.
Ratz can send you the "train for the Century in a week workout program", and you'll be with the pack.
You know.... If you saw how I was walking this morning, you'd probably think differently. Something akin to a penguin with a hitch in his giddyup.. Soon enough, I reckon, I'll be fully back but in the meantime.... Geez this hurts!

Mark

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Funny walk? I thought that affliction was acquired through riding diamond-frame rather than 'bent.
Not that kind of funny walk. My calves were bawling. Partly from overdoing it with stair climbing on Friday and the ride just polished them off!

Mark

Doug Burton

Zen MBB Master
Always good to see a member of the Old Guard. My current experiences mirror yours pretty closely. Now that we have a place at Va. Beach, where you can ride without constant fear of being rendered part of the pavement, I'm gonna start riding (and maybe building ) again...

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
Always good to see a member of the Old Guard. My current experiences mirror yours pretty closely. Now that we have a place at Va. Beach, where you can ride without constant fear of being rendered part of the pavement, I'm gonna start riding (and maybe building ) again...
You know what, Doug? It hurts more now than it did nine years ago! I'm making slow and steady progress, though, walking, stair climbing and riding. Ready to start doing one way commutes to work.

Good luck on your comeback. Looking forward to reading about it

quickbeam

You know.... If you saw how I was walking this morning, you'd probably think differently. Something akin to a penguin with a hitch in his giddyup..
I like your style of writing :) Didn't know they talked like that in California!

And your ambitious training puts me to shame. I've never been one to punish myself, but like they say, no pain no gain.

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I like your style of writing :) Didn't know they talked like that in California!

And your ambitious training puts me to shame. I've never been one to punish myself, but like they say, no pain no gain.
LOL! I'm a California transplant. Many years ago, but some of the things we say just stick with us, I guess!

About the ambitious training thing... My wife says I'm obsessive. I have no clue where she gets that idea.

Last edited:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
If you are riding so hard it hurts, you are doing pretty well. It is easier to reach that state on a diamond-frame.
I'm also 56 years old. Things just naturally hurt more than they used to! But, that being said, I normally do push myself pretty hard. I've been known to bite off more than I should try and chew. I'm really trying to focus on baby steps, but I'm pretty darned impatient!

Mark