Infinit 5 Hour Challenge Metric Century Race (Greenville SC)

BJ686

I thought I would pass along the link for this upcoming event on 12/2 in Greenville SC. First person to complete a metric century on the 7-mile Michelin "Proving Grounds" closed course wins. The website makes clear that any type of bike is welcome.

I am only 1.5 hours away in Charlotte, but can't make it as I am currently scheduled to be out of town that weekend (not that I would be competitive but would be fun to ride a closed test track). But thought I'd pass this on since there is a group of folks in or near the Carolinas.

https://racesonline.com/events/5hourchallenge

Brad

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
Wow - this looks nice and is only an hour away from me. I am not in great shape to ride a Century, but a metric Century should be easily do-able in under 3 hours.
Hardy, how far are you guys from here? Any other Cruzbikers nearby?

LarryOz

This layout looks awesome! I might see if I can get a part time job at Michelin just so I could ride this when I want!

Mich test tracks.JPG

LarryOz

I just signed up for this event. Can't pass up a chance to ride the awesome looking Michelin test tracks! Who knows, maybe I can nab my first Cruzbike Challenge KOM there!

Barefoot Biker

Why TWO Garmins???

To exploit inaccuracies in the way the timing calculations are made. You can easily imagine that even if both collected one data point per second that one might track the segment start or finish on a slightly different second or slightly different GPS point and you could gain a second or two for this reason, but if you also enable "Smart Recording" the Garmin will throw out some of the data points that are in a straight line (because it's obvious that if you simply went at a constant pace for two or three seconds, you don't really need anything but the first and last points - saves memory space). Unfortunately, Strava does not interpolate between points to determine the segment start and finish times. So, what can happen is that the points that are optimized out could be the segment start or finish. Then, if you are lucky, the closest point to the start and finish will be inside the segment - making the segment shorter. If you are unlucky, the closest points will be outside the segment - making the segment take longer to get through. So, to exploit this, you can carry multiple devices and hope that one gives a better time than another. The advantage that can be gained through this method is as much as six seconds.

They're all just bytes in a computer you control so, it's basically the honor system anyway. This is why I can't hold the handlebars on the inside like Larry does .... it's stacked with 9 different Garmin computers methodically clock skewed apart from each other - no honor - LOL! I only added the other Garmins after they took down the digital EPO site.... I'm kidding, sheesh!

LarryOz

I rode 9 laps of the pretty twisty curvy course in just under 2 hours 30 minutes.
It was mid 50's F, totally overcast and some pretty good wind and gusts too. (Made riding full discs full of excitement at times) :eek:
There were about 120 people riding so really tight in some places. (They actually divided up some of the 6-7' wide lanes into 2-way lanes, so pretty narrow and sharp turns in and out of them)
I am going to try and help them redesign the route for their next event. All in all - nice place to ride!

Here is my Strava data: https://www.strava.com/activities/1299786050
Power is all messed up for some reason. Now way I could average 25.4mph on a curvy course like this in the wind on only 159watts, so ignore that data. My HR shows I was working it pretty hard - averaging 163 for 2 1/2 hours. In reality it was probably more like 210 watts.

I finished 10-11 minutes ahead of the pack of 10 upright riders that stayed together trying to catch me. Obviously then did not.
The Strava labs Flyby is pretty cool to watch
I rode down with a fellow ultra racer Marc Poland who finished with the pack that was chasing me. He said their average speed came in at 23.2 for the 100K.
They all came to congratulate me and talk about the Vendetta: which was pretty cool.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
I rode 9 laps of the pretty twisty curvy course in just under 2 hours 30 minutes.
It was mid 50's F, totally overcast and some pretty good wind and gusts too. (Made riding full discs full of excitement at times) :eek:
There were about 120 people riding so really tight in some places. (They actually divided up some of the 6-7' wide lanes into 2-way lanes, so pretty narrow and sharp turns in and out of them)
I am going to try and help them redesign the route for their next event. All in all - nice place to ride!

Here is my Strava data: https://www.strava.com/activities/1299786050
Power is all messed up for some reason. Now way I could average 25.4mph on a curvy course like this in the wind on only 159watts, so ignore that data. My HR shows I was working it pretty hard - averaging 163 for 2 1/2 hours. In reality it was probably more like 210 watts.

I finished 10-11 minutes ahead of the pack of 10 upright riders that stayed together trying to catch me. Obviously then did not.
The Strava labs Flyby is pretty cool to watch
I rode down with a fellow ultra racer Marc Poland who finished with the pack that was chasing me. He said their average speed came in at 23.2 for the 100K.
They all came to congratulate me and talk about the Vendetta: which was pretty cool.
Larry, it is good to see such a good result, ONE Vendetta, against a PACK of 10 DFs, all rotating the lead, and beating them by 11 minutes!!!!

The BEST part is that the DF riders congratulated you, AND asked lots of questions about the Vendetta!!!!

BJ686

Thanks for the video Larry. Very interesting to see the course. Definitely seemed tight and twisty in a few spots. Hopefully they will do this event again next year.

Last edited:

Bill K

Guru
Sounds like a great course and a fun ride.
Congratulations!
I thought the recumbent cda advantage was about equal to 3 or 4 DF's riding a good paceline.
Was the chase pack pacelining, or just riding together/ infighting and attacking each other?
Hope you got to say ... Beep Beep... :) a bunch of times.