Initial impressions of Silvio 1.0 vs 2.0

Tuloose

Guru
I took the newly acquired Silvio 1.0 out for a 40 mile ride in rolling terrain 2 days ago.
Here are my initial impressions of the 1.0 vs the Silvio 2.0 that I have had for 3 years.

Speed:
Here the 2.0 has the hands down advantage due to the more reclined seat position.
Still, the 1.0 was no slouch. I was able to stay at the front of my Wednesday ride group.
Probably in this respect it is more the equal of a conventional diamond frame bike making group rides more compatible.

Comfort:
Here the differences are more nuanced.
For long term ride comfort out on country roads I prefer the more reclined seat of the 2.0.
It spreads out the body's weight over the back, not mainly on the buttocks, and I find the head rest really relaxing and comfortable.
However, when it comes city riding the 45 deg seat on the 1.0 reigns supreme.
No more pulling oneself up at every intersection as you are already in position to look for oncoming traffic.
The body is in a more natural position for looking out for pedestrians, road obstructions and eye to eye contact with drivers.

Hill climbing ability:
The 1.0 seems to have the advantage.
The body is in a more closed position which seems to generate more power for climbing.
On the 2.0 on really tough climbs I find myself rising up off the seat back and pulling hard on the bars.
This is not only a very tiring , somewhat like rising up out of the saddle on a DF bike, it also affects my control over the front wheel causing the bike to veer from side to side.
On the 1.0 climbing felt more natural - just sit in the seat and put the mettle to the pedal.
With the 27 deg seat angle on the 2.0 climbing a steep grade makes the rider's position even more supine.
I imagine this difficulty I have mastering climbs from the more laid back seat of the 2.0 is something inherent to me as Vendetta riders regularly climb long, steep grades, seemingly without much problem.

bubbabent

I have found that on all the recumbents I have owned, the more layed back the harder the hills are to climb. my old V-Rex and Sun E-Z Speedster could climb better than my Corsa which is reclined way back.

Robert Holler

Administrator
Staff member
Spot on assessment. As I rid every model and every version as often as I can on different days and different terrain you are dead on point.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
26degrees on my (now sold) Bachetta CA2.0, 20degrees on the Vendetta. I could never keep up with my DF friends uphill on the Bachetta; now when riding with the same group, being dropped on climbs is a thing of the past.
Not so on my hot-rodded Sofrider, even though I'm faster on it on uphills than I was on the CA2.0.

The V was bred to climb.

I have a Tour Easy with a fairly upright seat, a DIY MBB bike with geometry similar to a Silvio, and a RANS Force 5 with an adjustable seat.

At first, I made the RANS more upright, to climb better. But I noticed that it was possible to climb pretty darn good with a reclined seat. For me, the 'trick' was a couple of factors:

1) I swapped out the cassette, so that I was pedaling at a higher cadence.
2) I practiced. It took time to acclimate myself to the shallower seating position and higher pedaling cadence.

I think the 27 degree angle of the Silvio S30 is quite good, all things considered.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
For me - I could actually climb faster on my Silvio than on my Vendetta because I could make more power with the wider hip angle.
But you can't beat the Vendetta on flats, gentle rollers and of course downhills.

Zzzorse

Zen MBB Master
For me - I could actually climb faster on my Silvio than on my Vendetta because I could make more power with the wider hip angle.
But you can't beat the Vendetta on flats, gentle rollers and of course downhills.
You on a Silvio is from before my time.