Initial results with new water bottle mounts on the 2.1 boom

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
We installed water bottles on both of our booms. Initial ride testing on the trainer and the road, says there isn't enough leg clearance for that to work, tried 8 different types of bottles we have laying around.

Unless you focus on it; every 10 strokes or so the thigh rubs the bottle; and that's annoying enough to make it not work so well. My legs will only get thicker as the riding season progresses so I suspect it will get worse.

I did a bunch of hunting and it looks like the only water bottle that might be narrow enough would be the Airwave Aero from Giant but it's expensive and the exact dimensions are available that I can find.

Any one else know of a good narrow bottle and cage? If not, it look like we'll get with the old standby Leynze Flow cages (best for upside down mounting there is) and mount bottles under the seat. I'm guessing the boom bolts could see be useful for some other accessory mounting.

How is the mounting on the boom underside working for others?

Rick Youngblood

CarbonCraft Master
Did not work me either, too

Did not work me either, too much interference, especially in tight turns. I will look into a different setup for hydration.

scabinetguy

It works for me

It works for me I'm skinny. I made two clips to harness the cables then mounted the water bottles.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
I removed the water bottle

I removed the water bottle cage from that position on my Vendetta for the same reason Bob mentions.

I don't know if my thighs got thicker or I just started noticing it more and more but it was getting on my nerves so I got rid of it.

It was especially annoying with just the cage as it would do kind of a muted twaaang when I brushed it.

-Eric

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Can you rotate the boom 180

Can you rotate the boom 180 degrees so the water bottle is on the top of the boom, and further away from your knee brushing past it?

I don't know if on a S 2.1, the upright bottle would be in your field of view?
It is not on the S 1.

Super slim

ratz

Rotate it

Slim,

I thought about rotating it; then I realize the front derailleur cable stop is on the upper boom segment. So... you could do it; but then you'd need to run you derailleur cable down the other side of the boom, or you would need to mount a clamp-on cable stop on the boom and probably cut the other one off. I'm quick with my saw but not that quick; and I really didn't want to re-cable yet again. Some should probably try it if they plan on putting the bottle on top of the boom any how.

John said the bottle should fit at the narrow point of the seat so we are going to test that out.

ratz

So what to use them for.

So now if a bunch of use can't use the bottle mounts for bottle what should we do with them.... hmmm.

I'm thinking I'm about putting a small pump there or maybe a can of doggie pepper spray. Around here pepper spray works and animals and rednecks in pickups equally well.

Anyone know any other good accessories that work on water bottle mount; may a custom rear view mirror....

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
You going to stare at your

You going to stare at your navel Bob?
omg_smile.gif

Anyone know any other good accessories that work on water bottle mount; may a custom rear view mirror....

-Eric

ratz

Found a bottle that works under the Silvo boom

Ok I did find a water bottle the works under the boom for those of us with bigger legs or with hyper closed cockpits. It is stupid expensive because the cage is carbon; and you won't find the dimensions for this anywhere online. I had to have a local Giant dealer bring one in on spec for me.

It is no wider than the Silvio boom itself; it holds 500ml or 16.9 ozs. And it's a match for the color scheme. The logo "Giant" face down so no one will see it; or you can easily paint over that. It is easy enough to use while rolling (although the first time I put it back; I prompt rode off the road into the grass). Other than the price, it's a win.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gear/product/airway.aero.water.bottle.cage.kit/562/56236/

I am carrying my electrolyte fluids in that bottle.

SpringRides%202%20(1).jpg

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-04%20at%209_14_44%20PM.png

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Ouch! I need to go into the

Ouch! I need to go into the ridiculously over priced water bottle business...

Looks nice thought.

-Eric

ratz

Yeah I thought it was bad

Yeah I thought it was bad too. Still not thrilled. I normally would never buy a Carbon Bottle Cage; and that's what drives the cost. My favorite cage is normally the Plastic Lezyne Flow which is $15, the Lezyne Carbon cages are $59.99. For a bottle I like the Camelback Podium Chill Pack is $30. So that's $45 or $89.99. So if I have to go carbon to get one that fits really really well, at least $80 including the bottle is on par with the going rate. When thing slow down I get some better pictures of the current cockpit.