Insert inside the Elastomer hole

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Not sure I have seen a picture on this before. On the seat tube there is the threaded hole for the Elastomer. There is a meta disc in there with two holes in it. It looks like it is either cross threaded or the tube itself isn't suppose to be cut square. Thought I should post a picture of it and see if other people's frame look like this. On the top side it is flush with the frame surface. On the down side it is about 3-4 thread short of flush.

IMG_2404.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg

iow

looks just like mine

looks just like mine (threaded tube is not cut square as it follows the contour of the frame). i unscrewed it by placing an allen key in each hole and then used a screwdriver as a lever between them. i then covered the threads in anti seize compound.
adjusting how far it's screwed in adjusts the ride height. i've adjusted mine so that the ti leaf spring is unstressed (ie. straight) when i'm sitting on the bike.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Ratz,
    What is the

Ratz,
What is the diameter of this plug, and how much adjustment is there?

Regards

Super Slim

BentBierz

I took mine out and had a

I took mine out and had a devil of a time getting it threaded back in.

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Ivan to the rescue

Larry I was having a heck of a time too.

Then I figured out two things:

1) From Ivan thread he mentioned using a need nose pliers to turn it. I finally tried that, after finding that comment, worked like a charm. The I lubed the threads with NAPA Anti-Seize; and now it turns easy but stays put. If you use this stuff wear gloves; it is like paint to skin. Easy to wipe/buff off the frame, impossible to get off your hands.

2) I did the same thing I think Ivan did. I put the Rubber Elastmoter in backwards..... It has a definite tapper. The hard plastic cover goes in really nice and easy on the WRONG end. It also goes on the correct end with a firm snap; and then the rubber plug fits in the hole perfectly and goes up and down as the plug is turned.

This definitely needs to be better documented as the wrong way sure seems correct until you try and assemble the frame; and it is an easy and frustrating mistake.

Jeremy S

Dude
2) I did the same thing I

2) I did the same thing I think Ivan did. I put the Rubber Elastmoter in backwards..... It has a definite tapper. The hard plastic cover goes in really nice and easy on the WRONG end. It also goes on the correct end with a firm snap; and then the rubber plug fits in the hole perfectly and goes up and down as the plug is turned.

Mine does not fit in the hole the "right" way and John Tolhurst instructed me to put it in the the "wrong" way instead. So I don't think you should get hung up on right/wrong ways for this part, but I agree that the instructions should be clearer and further that the part's dimensions should be revised (if they haven't already been since I purchased my 2.0 from the original production run).