Installing Front Wheel

BentBierz

Doubt if it exists but thought I would ask anyway...has anyone seen or have a video of installing the front wheel on a Silvio? I had a helluva time installing mine yesterday. My siliconed on derailleur hanger didn't stay on, the carbon stays kept separating from the fork, I dropped my FD on the floor at least 3 times and I got very frustrated trying to do what should not be a difficult task. I finally just installed the wheel and then forced the derailleur hanger into place...not certain this would be possible once the cable is hooked up and the chain installed...guess I'll find out today as I hope to finally have my bike assembled and ready to put on the trainer.

I personally believe this derailleur hanger design needs to be revisited and a permanent way to install it made. I may rethink the tires I am going to use (unfortunately already bought) and go tubeless to reduce the chances of having to mess with this roadside.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
Actually I did make one

For some reason I have a much harder time logging onto this web site than changing a Silvio front wheel. The log on process has me baffled and I have about a 50% success rate of getting on. Back a month or two when we were having this same discussion I made a video but was unable to embed it at the time and then lost interest. This is my experience, (others can debate whether it is accurate or not, I will not participate). Changing the wheel out is not difficult, you simply must teach yourself how to do it by hands on training. It is a lot like clipless pedals. Beginners often think going clipless is a task requiring great skills. Shortly after actually using them they wonder what all the fuss was about. Sit down and change your wheel ten times and you'll find it pops right on and off. There is no need to glue, or silicon the FD. It fits very snuggly as is. There is no need to drop the FD three times. Lay the FD on the ground and simply pick it up when its its time to pop in. The bike will stand up by its self on the forks waiting for the wheel. After ten times you will have found the best way for you to easily mount the wheel. After that, you like me will wonder what all the fuss is about. Now how do you easily log on to this site?

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Cage lock RDs are a Cruzbike

Cage lock RDs are a Cruzbike Silvio and Vendetta owner's best friend.
tongue_smile.gif

The first few times are like that. It gets a lot easier after you get the hang of it, but yeah, it is sort of a PITA.

-Eric

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Log on 10 times in a row and

Log on 10 times in a row and after that it gets easier?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I use LastPass. Love it.

-Eric

trplay

Zen MBB Master
LOL ,  just like some bikes

LOL , just like some bikes aren't suited for some people I dont think this site and I are compatible. Somewhere between this site and my computer there is a glitch which prevents logging on. Based on the few number of participants on the site I suspect there are others like me who can't get on. I have found if I hit the cruzbike facebook link and log onto facebook I will have more success getting on to this forum. Its strange, dang sure a lot harder than assembling a Silvio.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I turned the bike upside-down

I turned the bike upside-down and stood over it with one leg each side. The wheel went in fairly easily that way. I then slotted the gear hanger in.

You should try the Grasshopper. I just got a Park stand because it is so difficult to get the wheel back on that bike. It is almost impossible to get the bike into the clamp of the stand.

Some people have trouble with this forum. It is a FWD forum.

BentBierz

So am I hearing then that the

So am I hearing then that the derailleur hanger goes in last? As mentioned, I finally ended up doing this but, as also mentioned, my cable/chain wasn't installed yet so wasn't certain if this was how it was done operationally out on the road.

trplay

Zen MBB Master
It goes in whenever you like.

It goes in whenever you like. When you change it on the road it can get nasty if you twist the chain or (as I have done) get the shifter cable on the inside. The trick is to recognize how it goes on. Place the derailer hanger and FD with chain all on the ground where you dont twist the chain or the shifter cable when you reverse the process. That is really the only tricky part. Once you get it, you got it.

BentBierz

Thanks trplay...I will try

Thanks trplay...I will try this method. I can't keep the derailleur in place when trying to maneuver the wheel into position (that's how it hit the deck three times before I tried a different method).
Charles said:

Cage lock RDs are a Cruzbike Silvio and Vendetta owner's best friend.

Too bad SRAM didn't carry this over to their road group...right now I have a Force 22 WiFLi installed and I owe Nanda an answer as to if this set-up will work. With no football today, I should be able to get him an answer. If it doesn't, I may end up selling the RD and cassette and going with my original idea...a Rohloff.

ReklinedRider

Zen MBB Master
Logging in to the CB website

Once you get logged in successfully just one time, never ever log out. Works like a charm on iPad ;-)

KM

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Ahem Larry. Charles is the

Ahem Larry. Charles is the really tall dude with pins and needles in his head. I'm the short stumpy guy with a cage lock RD.
shades_smile.gif

-Eric

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hey, I resemble that remark!

Hey, I resemble that remark! :D

I was going to point out that Eric is the one with the useful comments, but after that last snip from him, I don't think I will!

Ivan

Guru
+1 trplay's technique. First

+1 trplay's technique. First remove the skewers, then I take my RD hanger off first then lay it on the ground neatly so the chain doesn't get tangled. After that the wheel is easy to remove and add back in. The RD hanger then goes back on last, sort of "snapping it" into place. Very different to a DF bike, but only two more steps (remove skewer, and remove RD hanger) and not difficult once you get the hang of it.

3WHELZ

Guru
Front Wheel Flats

I will second bladderhead's recommendation of turning Silvio upside down. I have never been successful doing so in the upright position, especially since I need the spacer to accommodate my 10sp Campy groupset. My worst ride was three flats. The third was my limited, so I called my wife to rescue me -- embarrassing. Since then, I move to Slime tubes. They are slightly heavier, but no more flats. I have also noticed that there is little to no reduction of pressure over a period of several weeks.

BentBierz

"Ahem Larry. Charles is the

embarrassed_smile.gif

"Ahem Larry. Charles is the really tall dude with pins and needles in his head. I'm the short stumpy guy with a cage lock RD."

Hey Eric...sorry about that...had two conversations going and failed to proof read my edits before hitting send.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Hi Larry, just poking fun at

Hi Larry, just poking fun at you and Charles. No worries.

Charles - pins and needles as in sharp as a tack. Master of mysterious physicist like things. Smarter than the average bear.
wink_smile.gif

-Eric