Is the Silvio 2.0 out of Beta Yet?

billyk

Guru
I agree with John T ... but

I agree with John T, and have put my money where my mouth is: There is 1 block of 15-18% grade on my route home from work that I cannot climb on my Quest 2 (559) if the road is not not perfectly dry (perhaps half the time here). My choice on wet days is to either walk it up the steepest part of the hill or take a 3/4-mile detour. Nevertheless, I have chosen to keep riding the Quest because of its other great qualities, and because it's so much more fun to ride.

That said, I think I could make it up the hill with a lower gear, and would sacrifice some high gears for that. (There's plenty of other steep hills around here). The key to such a climb is to spin fast, so each pedal stroke does less work and requires less traction. The e-ring evens out the power to some extent, but not enough for my wet hill. If I could find a smaller e-ring, I'd be in business, but I can't. That would not add either weight or complexity.

And I wish I could have John's easy attitude about "disgrace". I'd rather ride the extra 3/4 mile (which is a pleasant trip through a wooded park that adds 3 minutes to my trip home) than be seen walking. And part of my unwillingness to be seen walking is that I consider myself an ambassador for Cruzbikes, and don't want to show it's weakness in this aspect. Maybe when I grow up I'll be better able to handle the disgrace.

BK

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi BK,
I don't think there's

Hi BK,

I don't think there's (too much) shame in walking up hills. Or, at least there shouldn't be (but I always feel it when I do it :) ).

I can ride up very short very steep hills. When it's wet, it's worse, but as long as I don't stop, I'm o.k. When I've shifted badly and not gotten into my granny gear, I find that mashing means I slip a lot more than when I'm in the nice low gear, so I can see this being a large issue for you (my low gear is under 17").

I have a lot of problems starting on hills, partially because the nice low gear I like for spinning is too low for starting. In one case, a friend of mine gave me a push and I started on a steep hill. Otherwise, if I stop, I usually walk.

Cheers,
Charles