Is the Silvio easier to steer than the Sofrider?

ocd

I have Sofrider V2 that I have started riding again. I find that it takes a lot of upper body effort to control pedal steer, which makes riding it not so much fun. Some time it feels I am wrestling the bike. It does get easier once I am going a bit faster and if I am careful to spin rather than mash I imagine that this is an effect of the relatively short distance between my hands and the headset axis. (I have been wondering whether switching the handlebars for wider ones would make a difference.)

Is the Silvio easier to steer? It would seem, from the pictures, that one has more leverage, but a report from Silvio riders (particular Silvio 2.0) would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

ocd

Jeremy S

Dude
Hi Isidro, I don't have the

Hi Isidro, I don't have the Sofrider anymore so I can't compare directly, but yes, I think my Silvio 2.0 is a little easier to control than my Sofrider V2 was -- especially if I sit up straight in the seat. If I'm lying back in the seat I don't think there's a huge difference. After the acclimation period I didn't have trouble cruising at speed on the Sofrider, it was only starts or very low speed maneuvering that would make me swerve or wobble.

One easy thing to try on the Sofrider, without buying new handlebars, is reversing the stem. That will bring the bars closer to you and allow you to lower them too. It's easy to undo if you don't like it that way.

richa

Practice

When I first started riding a cruzbike I found it took a lot of upper body effort to control but the more I rode the less it took. After a 100 miles or so it now takes almost none (I can now ride no-handed). So, if you're still using a lot of upper body effort I'm not sure a different model will solve that. I think more practice/miles/experience is a more likely solution.

Of course, I have ridden neither a Sofrider or Silvio (I have a Quest) so take that for what it's worth.

Rich

PS. I think clipless pedals help as well

Charles.Plager

Recumbent Quant
Hi,
I agree with Rich.  Start

Hi,

I agree with Rich. Start working towards learning how to ride with no hands:
  • Start with open palms, work on getting a nice, smooth spin on your pedals. I agree that clipless (or other foot retention) helps here.
  • Then just one hand, still working on the smooth stroke
  • Then just a few fingers...
  • Then remove both hands, keeping them just above your handlebars.
You should only be using your upper body when you want to.

Cheers,
Charles