It was a wonderful ride

I received my GiroAir Attack two rides ago.

The visor does not touch my cheek or the bridge of my nose. For me, the bottom edge of the visor is well below line of sight while on the bike.
Airflow under the shield and through the helmet is very good.

I really like the smaller profile of this helmet as compared to my other one .

Got mine yesterday. From a cooling perspective - it does exactly what the video on their website shows. If you lift up some and look down at your naval the air flow comes in across your forehead and out the back of the helmet. You can feel it working. It's almost as good as my mostly open specialized helmet with its front air scoop in that position. Once your head is back on the headrest, that airflow doesn't work. You still get a decent amount under the helmet that flows back out of the top vents, but it's noticeably less cooling than the specialized helmet. The flipside is that the sun doesn't hit most of your scalp, so it's like a little umbrella over the bald spot. I still have most of my crown of hair so I don't need the sun protection of the halo.

Skipping the halo and not needing sunglasses means two extra items I don't have to deal with.

I like it and will keep using it for now. Jury is still out though - need to ride with it on a 96 degree, 90% humidity day in full sun - August will be the real test. Also need to see how well the shield deals with fog on my morning rides.

Last edited:

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
Got mine yesterday. From a cooling perspective - it does exactly what the video on their website shows. If you lift up some and look down at your naval the air flow comes in across your forehead and out the back of the helmet. You can feel it working. It's almost as good as my mostly open specialized helmet with its front air scoop in that position. Once you're head is back on the headrest, that airflow doesn't work. You still get a decent amount under the helmet that flows back out of the top vents, but it's noticeably less cooling than the specialized helmet. The flipside is that the sun doesn't hit most of your scalp, so it's like a little umbrella over the bald spot. I still have most of my crown of hair so I don't need the sun protection of the halo.

Skipping the halo and not needing sunglasses means two extra items I don't have to deal with.

I like it and will keep using it for now. Jury is still out though - need to ride with it on a 96 degree, 90% humidity day in full sun - August will be the real test. Also need to see how well the shield deals with fog on my morning rides.
I have a 57cm size head so with the giro sizing that will be medium. Or should I go for the larger size to get more air underneath the helmet?

My head is 55 which is borderline small/medium. I got the medium. Extra space is made up from the back of the helmet when you dial it in so I don't think having it larger helps that much with cooling.

Bruce B

I have a 57cm size head so with the giro sizing that will be medium. Or should I go for the larger size to get more air underneath the helmet?
I have the medium size Shield. There is between 10-15mm between the helmet and the liner overall. I am going to guess that Giro designed the helmet with that spec. for all sizes. Has anyone been able to compare?

Well here's a piece of equipment I don't need to include in my budget. :)

I wear a 64-65. Giro doesn't make this helmet in my size.

Eric Winn

Zen MBB Master
Well here's a piece of equipment I don't need to include in my budget. :)

I wear a 64-65. Giro doesn't make this helmet in my size.
Me too. And I have to keep my hair buzzed pretty short to get my Giro Venti to fit and it is still a little snugger than is comfortable for stuff over about 100 to 150 miles.

DavidCH

Wow... ok this is what has been happening for me. It seems each day is a revelation. I saw these super duper cycling glasses ... really cheap on chainreactioncycles.com. you buy from them and if your order is over 50 euros you get the shipping free. Perfect
IMG_9210.jpg

Not only that but I fixed my biggest issue with my V. The chain wasn't big enough so consequently the big 54t would jam when on a the last 4 cogs of the cassette. Not good. So I worked out with the maths how many links I needed using 2Pi R. Well actually its more like (Pi.R) of largest cog - (Pi.R) of Max working cog. Then I had an issue with putting the KMC snap link on. Tried with all my might but the **** wouldn't complete. Then I read on the internet, apply the brake and push the pedal. CLICK!

Wonderful sound

So it works... I get back into the Big One ... really quickly and keep that heart beat going in the fat burning zone and aerobics.. Got this great Hill that really gets my ticker going. I know age doesn't mean anything... but this bike experience is like the best ever. Oh and the Jakaroo racing shirt arrived two days ago so I had to get the V perfect for the début. So cool in that too. Didn't need to take a drink for ages and its got zipped pockets on the front. Excellent!

IMG_9205.JPG partJourney.jpg

Last edited:

DavidCH

I know some of you have many different wheels to choose from. I am thinking of changing my rear wheel for something light, Aero, TT. Preferably carbon with a the words CRUZBIKE on it. Guess Larry might have some ideas on that? I have decided to keep the big gears for a bit as I am having more fun with them. Its flat here so not so much effort. I also like the big gears as it makes me lose the weight more quickly and increase my stamina. I guess when I decide to go touring in the alps that might be a good time to change them. Can't see that happening this year.
LOL

DavidCH

Something Ratz said a while back with disc covers stayed with me. I have decided to try them. If going up mountains, guess you would need everything really light as you aren't really going to be that fast so you wont get any aero assistance ... down the mountain is a different matter.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Something Ratz said a while back with disc covers stayed with me. I have decided to try them. If going up mountains, guess you would need everything really light as you aren't really going to be that fast so you wont get any aero assistance ... down the mountain is a different matter.
I'm still waiting for a set from Catalyst. Apparently, Catalyst was out of stock. I'm waiting for a reply regarding status.

Reactions: joy

DavidCH

ahhhh honest, I went out not to race today. Naaaaaa it was great! Why was it so great? Weather perfect, Roads quiet and not so hot as the sun has only just got up. So no peloton's today except some guy on some very light carbon bike that I caught up with and overtook. He had to work awfully hard to catch me up! I got my heart rate up to 162 before we got stopped at some lights. His must have been up to 180 as he sure didn't want to overtake me but just stay in my strip stream. Must have sprinted for about two minutes. I said I would see him later and pulled over for breakfast. My weight is about two kilos over and the bike is only in training trim. There is plenty of upside potential as long as I keep getting out there. My bike is a medium size Vendetta and I am wondering if its possible to get it above 30mph on the straights pedalling like a crazy? Its getting up there. About a month ago my max speed was 41.6 and it took ages to crack. Today its 47.8kph which is 29.701 mph so its pretty damn close!

If I get a cover disc on the rear I will have the caption "Give 'em hell".