It's Mallet Season

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
Hide your Wallets Boyz and Girls; it is officially Mallet build season.

I have some stuff cooked up for this build think of it an "enhancements" 101... mini builds.

Parts be arriving even on Saturday.
Look away if you can, but you know you'll be back.

I have some things for those on a budget and for those.... well those of you with no self control or a desire to look fast and perhaps go fast.

IMG_6015.jpg

RAR

Hide your Wallets Boyz and Girls; it is officially Mallet build season.

I have some stuff cooked up for this build think of it an "enhancements" 101... mini builds.

Parts be arriving even on Saturday.
Look away if you can, but you know you'll be back.

I have some things for those on a budget and for those.... well those of you with no self control or a desire to look fast and perhaps go fast.

View attachment 4306
How many Vendetta's does a person need?...N + 1 of course!

ratz

How many Vendetta's does a person need?...N + 1 of course!

Great question; as it goes to the goals here in this build thread

In this house that would be 2..... but if you say how many Cruzbikes does a person need the Adults would say 3. But we have to share the 2 Quests with the kids so maybe those aren't ours and more... Technically with we have 7 people and seven CB's, that's down 2 from our peak, but then the T50 isn't shipping yet. :cool:

Now these v20's are dual purpose frames, with a special goal. They will be minimalist setups; that live on the trainer; in our basement; layout of the house is such that moving 2 bikes in and out of the basement takes about 30 minutes if I don't get distracted. In the spring that usually means missing a lot of days when we get surprise good weather (example last week we had three 55F+ days), just not enough time to move the bikes when rustling 5 kids..... to hit the small time windows.

But More importantly now people can again come test ride V20's, a Silvio and Quests here again. With the current race v20 we weren't doing that any more because of the hand-painted frames, the e-tap derailleurs, carbon wheels and all the other high end stuff; a spill could get expensive fast ... example My chain-stay took serious damage on one test ride and that put an end to that happening. Peoople were stuck trying them on the trainer only; a Quest is good but it doesn't answer the do I want a S30 or V20 question....

So Now if someone wants to try it; I can configure the training bikes for outdoors before they come to visit; and the bike they see will be excellent and current, but built with all entry level components that want for nothing from a new owners perspective. When they ask how much a configuration costs I can tell them a true number that wont' make them cry.

So I'm going to be building these up with high quality, relatively low cost, entry level, big brand parts. And for fun; I have a box full of special parts that are being evaluated for RAAM so we are going to look at how to make a mountain goat configuration without having to do anything all that special. Of course I'll also be showing (I hope) how to make and E-tap mountain goat that will force @RojoRacing to upgrade his rig.

Still waiting for a number of things to arrive but I did setup the photo booth and test the lighting.

I'd list out everything I'm going to do but the number of combinations gives me a headache. And that would also wreck a couple of the surprises. So I'm just going to wing it and document as I test and do R&D.... I figure it should make the last of winter go by far faster.... Our southern Hemisphere friends sorry if it makes you regret the arrival of fall.

Should a couple of days before I update the thread...... err or maybe it will be tomorrow.... probably not tonight, yeah not tonight.... maybe.;)

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
I'm always ready to upgrade but my wallet has me on lockdown :lol

In all seriousness etap could mitigate some of the stress on my damaged hands but I don't want it to come down to that being a necessity. I will go Etap one day but will be on the vendetta, my next mtb, or a new DF road bike.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
You forgot the biggest problem - to increase my level of athleticism. And he is older than I am.

And I like the gnome's aero hat. Has that been tested at the wind tunnel?

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Fingers crossed that you're demoing the "new" chainstay that was supposed to come out "soon". I think I ordered a standard length one some time ago but was backordered (or something, I forget what...hasn't kept me from riding).

ratz

Fingers crossed that you're demoing the "new" chainstay that was supposed to come out "soon". I think I ordered a standard length one some time ago but was backordered (or something, I forget what...hasn't kept me from riding).

I can neither confirm nor deny what might be available in the future in performance upgrade bundles..... Bikers would never upgrade their rides to go faster.

ratz

The pile is getting betting; poor UPS guys; he's getting tired of hauling stuff here.

ratz

We also won't talk about the absurd number of handle bars en-route to here but we might have rent a room for the group photo.... But I have high hopes for these too new contendors that I think will be here before the weekend.

The Drawing is for the first photo. That reach better than the midge, and the gary-pro2. Flare for leg turn clearance but much more subtle than the Midge and gary which should give a brifter position more like the Salsa Woodchipper but with less toe in. Always impossible to tell from the photos; handlebar geometry defies 2d representation. And of course the question of width. So lets just put it this way we'll be testing across the spectrum and riders bigger and smaller than me will be able to look forward to some deals.....

br_rd_wcs_evomax_blatte_my2017_angle.jpg Screen Shot 2017-03-02 at 9.09.10 PM.png

br_rd_wcs_venturemax_blatte_my2017_angle.jpg