It's Mallet Season

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
having some experience with rare earth magnets, I hope they have a good corosion protection. Normally they come nickel plated, but the plating has tendency to crack and peel off. I recommend to seal them against humidity with a grease or silicon layer.
Mostly a mock up because Sugru is old; I'm to test it the I will probably Peel it off; use the fresh stuff which will look better cosmetically; and completely cover the magnets; they just easier to remove this way.

I'm pretty sure that tail box lid would go flying off the first time I got launched into the air after one of the many G-outs I hit during most of my rides.
Yep, but very easy to remove the back one and return the screw down bolt; one bolt not so bad ... but they are significanly stronger than you'd believe; get two of them a part or of Metal is very hard to do....

RojoRacing

Donut Powered Wise-guy
What's a G-out?

A G-out would be a dip in the road surface followed by a sudden rise and then again a sudden drop. On a DF bike when descending at high speed your weight in on your toes and hands so when you first hit the drop in the road your hands and toes push the bike downward away from you and into the dip. When you hit the raise the bike will return back up to you like rebound in suspension and you wont ever leave the ground. Now with a recumbent you're generally all your weight in evenly distributed so when you first hit the dip all your weight and the bike drop in together. When the road raises your weight transfers into the frame compressing the frame and causing it to flex under the load, this is energy being stored in the frame similarly to to pulling the string on a bow. Now when you reach the top of the raise the energy in the frame is released in the form of rebound which launches the bike and you into the air. When the rebounding happens anything attached off the rear of your seat or headrest undergoes a whipping action and can eject bottles and such into the air never to return. These smooth G-outs are rarely an issue when spinning along on flat ground. They become a problem at speeds over 40 mph because soft g-outs are nearly impossible to see from the recumbent position and you need to be going that fast to generate enough stored energy into the frame to get airborne.

Railroad crossing and cattle guards can also eject bottle and such but generally the physics are a bit different and besides that they are super easy to see coming so you can slow down beforehand.

ratz

Insert Emoticon for exhausted......

After a busy weekend of moving parts around and doing baseline assembly I am almost to the point of being able to do the testing I'm after this year. Nothing finished so far has not been documented else where. I just need to get the bikes to the point that I can start focusing on the new-and interesting stuff. Time for a day off this project so I can catch up on my trainer time. So here's some photo progress.

DSC06450.jpg DSC06449.jpg DSC06451.jpg DSC06452.jpg IMG_6037.jpg

At this point I just need to wire up the brifters and I can start the interesting stuff.... I had not thought about where I am going to do that documentation; probably the end of the build diary thread. Consider this one the behind the scenes unstructured stuff.

Sneak peak of the stuff on the agenda.... (Don't think I've posted these so far).

DSC06412.jpg DSC06414.jpg DSC06434.jpg

Crap just realized I'm going to need some longer chains..... :emoji_unamused:

Mark B

Zen MBB Master
I hope we're not going to see a "My Little Pony" themed Vendetta with tassels on the handlebars. That's all I'm going to say.

Mark

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Ratz' first law remains inviolate. Package of new V20 goodies on its way to Nawth Alabama, you bastard. :eek::D

ratz

Ratz' first law remains inviolate. Package of new V20 goodies on its way to Nawth Alabama, you bastard. :eek::D

You better give your wallet to someone to hold for you; I really haven't' gotten to the good stuff yet.... but you have a few day of fear free forum visits....

ratz

Oops I lied....

IMG_6038.jpg

Lighter; equally strong, cheaper .... hmmmm I wonder how we make those compatible....

Now you get a couple day reprieve.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Is it a BB kit to suit 30 mm Crank shafts, AND the OD of the bearing housing suits the chain stay clamp??????
Who gets the RED bearing housings?

ratz

I'm about to order a BB for new Vendetta. Need clarification on this post, please. Is this saying go with the rwc $129 ceramic version?

Yes; there are spacers now that make it wide enough to work with the cup clamps and there have been serious quality control problems with the XD-15 which comes from Enduro and not RWC.... There is other stuff coming soon that will make this doubly wise; I'm just a bit in front of this one; and can't yet comment. But I can tell you I'm switching to the $129 version and if you do it will work now; and in the near future you'll be doubly glad you save the money for other uses. You'll have to trust me on this one; as soon as the details are ready I'll have a bunch more to say/share.

ratz

Who gets the RED bearing housings?
Me..... Pluckyblond's bike is orange highlight and they don't make an orange one. My V20 is getting a face lift with read highlights. I need the red to make me fast enough to keep up with the wife.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Me..... Pluckyblond's bike is orange highlight and they don't make an orange one. My V20 is getting a face lift with read highlights. I need the red to make me fast enough to keep up with the wife.
I think you should change to Orange, as it proved itself at Sebring!!!

Yes; there are spacers now that make it wide enough to work with the cup clamps and there have been serious quality control problems with the XD-15 which comes from Enduro and not RWC.... There is other stuff coming soon that will make this doubly wise; I'm just a bit in front of this one; and can't yet comment. But I can tell you I'm switching to the $129 version and if you do it will work now; and in the near future you'll be doubly glad you save the money for other uses. You'll have to trust me on this one; as soon as the details are ready I'll have a bunch more to say/share.

Ratz,

I'm also ready to purchase the BB for my V20 build. I was ready to purchase the $100 stainless steel bearing version of the RWR BB for Sram "GPX crank sets. Is this BB still a viable option or are there problems with this one?

Kurt

ratz

Ratz,

I'm also ready to purchase the BB for my V20 build. I was ready to purchase the $100 stainless steel bearing version of the RWR BB for Sram "GPX crank sets. Is this BB still a viable option or are there problems with this one?

Kurt

That's up to you Kurt; the $99 will be more resistant to rust as it's all stainless. The $129 will be faster because it's ceramic; but the races are Chromium so they will rust over time if they are in the rain all the time. So let your riding plan guide you.

ccf

Guru
there have been serious quality control problems with the XD-15 which comes from Enduro and not RWC
I noticed that RWC is out of stock of the XD-15. Is that because of the quality control problems? What is the nature of the QC problems?

-Cliff