It's Mallet Season

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
I noticed that RWC is out of stock of the XD-15. Is that because of the quality control problems? What is the nature of the QC problems?

-Cliff

I get the Xd-15's from RWC who gets them from the OEM in California. RWC doesn't have inventory right now because they got 15 units in and between bad seals, un-smooth races and bad bearings they were only able to shuffle the 15 into just 2 good working units. RWC has been essential at getting things that make the XD-15 work. Items like metal spacers and washer that give a solid preload and a mount that doesn't have slop in it. I haven't found other sources that do it that well. So basically until the quality goes up they are not going to source the product.

I talked a length about the inhouse $129 product. With the new metal bb spacer they added the cups should work just fine with a V20/S30 clamp and Chris@RWC says he'll stand behind his product if the they don't hold up as well as the XD-15. Given the excellent services I've received from him over several years; I'm willing to trust him. and roll with the product. So far so good.

ccf

Guru
I sent Chris two emails about the out-of-stock status of the XD-15 with no reply. So I found a XD-15 at bikebling.com and ordered it. @ratz, do you recommend I return it?

-Cliff

ratz

I sent Chris two emails about the out-of-stock status of the XD-15 with no reply. So I found a XD-15 at bikebling.com and ordered it. @ratz, do you recommend I return it?

-Cliff

yeah they've been a busy installing some new equipment so a little slow to respond.

If you keep the XD-15 you'll need: a 24 x 1mm and 24x 2.5mm for the drive side. http://enduroforkseals.com/id433.html
if it shows up an the bearings all feel good, then keep it. if not send it back.

ccf

Guru
yeah they've been a busy installing some new equipment so a little slow to respond.

If you keep the XD-15 you'll need: a 24 x 1mm and 24x 2.5mm for the drive side. http://enduroforkseals.com/id433.html
if it shows up an the bearings all feel good, then keep it. if not send it back.

How does SRAM Blackbox GXP compare with XD-15? Have you done a side-by-side? I recall a video with a side-by-side, but can't remember if it was the Blackbox GXP.

1happyreader

zen/child method
The 2013 friction facts BB report shows:
average loss
0.60 Sram GPX Black box ceramic
0.32 Hawk Racing Steel
0.31 Enduro XD-15 ceramic
The reports are available for purchase

ratz

The 2013 friction facts BB report shows:
average loss
0.60 Sram GPX Black box ceramic
0.32 Hawk Racing Steel
0.31 Enduro XD-15 ceramic
The reports are available for purchase

So for reference the Black Box is slightly worse in friction to the bad one in my video. The GXP steel which is the "cheap" free one you get has better friction; the black box will last many seasons the cheap 30$ will be rusty after 1 or 2 seasons that's why it's so cheap.

Now understand:
  • the XD-15 performs so well on these bikes because of the super hard outer shell and the angular bearing
  • with the CB chainstay clamping to the bearing cups; what the cups are made of is of equal importance to what is in them.
  • The Xd-15 while expensive is pretty much mistake proof.
  • Due to quality control issue with XD-15 its getting hard to get them.
In response RWC has added metal spacer to the $129 and $99 dollar in house versions; the space aligns the cups with the clamps and being metal they can take the strain.
The housing on the RWC is very strong; and they have angular bearing; so it's a great second choice. Enduro has been doing more and more on the bearing cartiridge side
these days and seem less focus on complete product. word is they will soon have a XD-15 bearing cartridge for BB's that would mean you could in the future upgrade a RWC house brand to be equal or better than the Eduro BB.

trapdoor2

Zen MBB Master
Progress continues; need to have a video con with Bart @ ventisit to finish the debug.

A few more tease photos
Hmmm...
I do like those Ventisit headrest covers. Not that I'm using mine as a headrest anymore. They look good though.
In that last picture, it looks like with the Etap FD, you can remove the FD shiv (not being used)...saving a few grams.
Also in that picture, the red BB cup looks suspiciously exposed...
I tend to dislike having bumper-stickers on my stuff but I like those. If I did something like that, it would be a level dotted line around the race-case and small lettering that says "Vodka fill line". ;)

ratz

I tend to dislike having bumper-stickers on my stuff but I like those
The beauty of 3m vinyl if I change my mind I can peal them off. was going to use put the correct color accents on and when for silly. A distance looks like a colored line. Thought about reflective but that's super expensive and removing it is impossible.

ratz

Getting close to done; shop migrated back to the garage with the arrival of warm weather.

The olde Silvio got a face lift that will be getting some testing

New Ritchey EvoMax Handlebars; disabled Shock, Reynolds 40mm wheels, and a Vendetta Medium Chain Stay.

Test ride around the block and she's stiff and quick. Power testing to follow.
It's odd to ride on; don't think I rode it once last years (daughter rides it now) feels like I'm sitting bolt upright.

IMG_6182.jpg IMG_6181.jpg

ratz

Well this project has dragged on; been short handled at the office and busy, but some progress got made this weekend just not how I had envisioned it.... Would up adding the new floor covering to the shop, it cost me a day but, now when I drop that one and only-one screw of type - x at 11pm at night I can find it in 2 minutes not 2 hours. (Paid dividends already)

IMG_6185.jpg

Project #1 was finding a spot to mount the quarq collector that didn't compromise: Aero, nose weight, storage or device security (expensive to eject) Finally settle on under the seat at shoulder height.

IMG_6194.jpg

Weight was nominal after gettting a supply of supper thin washer to to spread the load out a bit on the seat.

IMG_6196.jpg

If it pick up signal good; I'll get a hair shorter bolt and use a self locking nut, maybe a slightly bigger diameter washer.

Interesting while doing this I decided to weight my 5 different carbon seat. Interestingly I found a 80g discrepancy between the 5 seats. So I rotated them around putting the lightest on on my bike and the heaviest one on pluckyblond's (event out the watts/kg betteR)..... Seriously though I also simplied the water bottle cage attachments replacing washer with Gromets and between the seat swaps, cages and removal of the kick stand mounts we dropped 225 grams (½ lb) off both bikes that actually a size-able savings. Between that and replace the prototype double bottle holders with the carbon boxes I estimate that the bikes will be about 775 gram (1.5 lbs) lighter this season just from those changes. Give the addition of the Flo 90s (due here any day) that should make us weight neutral.

Next up Project #2 was getting the High end tail light mounted. This turn out to be analysis paralysis. I think I have about 30 hours of thought and eyeballing into figuring out how to do the light and battery in conjunction with the tail-box. One does not cut into carbon without a lot of thought.

In the end the trick was to go under the tail-box not on it. Giving a solution for even when the tail-box was removed. Had to build up the head rest tube a bit to get the Cateye H32- 24mm mount to fit (I have H34's in route which I think will work better without the rubber padding and will be more secure).

IMG_6192.jpg IMG_6191.jpg

Then mount the light with a fixed rotation on it's mounting arm.
IMG_6189.jpg IMG_6190.jpg

Photos make the clearance seem a little deceiving; There's actually a ton of space between the wheel and the light.

Final mount is: out of the way of the water bottle; out of the wind, secure, and plenty visible from behind, and the new 3400 mAH (2cell) battery fits between the head rest bars. Battery should be good for just over 9.2 hours in my preferred EMS running mode. Battery is really too expensive; but it's a ¼ pound lighter , half the size, and had a charge gauge that very handy. With that battery there a several power level and flash modes that would run the tail-light for over 24 hours. So I guess it was worth it. I was impressed enough to get a second set for the head light; but those runtimes will be much poorer as the Gemini isn't that battery efficient. But this give the option for less weight on the boom and to carry a swap out battery in the moose bag weight isn't on the boom.

IMG_6197.jpg

Now that is done I'm still working on where to mount the fly6 I would love to get it in the same spot as the tail light but on the other side. So far that is eluded me, other option is the back of the tail box but I really don't like it there. Probably another 30 hours of analysis paralysis on that one I suppose. (This is putting a cramp in my training time).

Last edited:

BJ686

Now that is done I'm still working on where to mount the fly6 I would love to get it in the same spot as the tail light but on the other side. So far that is eluded me, other option is the back of the tail box but I really don't like it there. Probably another 30 hours of analysis paralysis on that one I suppose. (This is putting a cramp in my training time).

All looks good. Will be interested to see what you do with your Fly6. I ordered one, but am struggling to get it mounted in a way that makes sense. Its a bit awkward since it has the "slanted" back designed for a normal DF seat post.

ratz

Are those frame bags going to be an item we can purchase anytime soon !! I need !!

Yes, last sighted on a boat in the pacific;
that is a prototype Hardy gifted me at Sebring from his personal stash of hand-made ones; if the real thing is 80% as nice it's going to be a must have.

ratz

2nd round Prototypes on the way to me and a few select heavy sweaters... (working direct with Ventisit)
Should be compatible with and without the tail-box on the bike and inside the Cruzbike "Sock" or without it.

IMG_6176.jpg IMG_6177.jpg IMG_6175.jpg IMG_6174.jpg IMG_6173.jpg IMG_6179.jpg

Next up Project #2 was getting the High end tail light mounted.
I may follow your lead by moving my DS-500 Taillight off the Race Case and onto the headrest bars, probably farther back so the light can be seen from both sides. I think a DF rider drafting will prefer having the flashing lights blocked by the box.
For those interested in an option for mounting a camera, I hobbled together aluminum strips mounted to the brake tabs. This has held up very well and the video is much smoother than when mounted on the headrest or box.
IMG_2537.jpg IMG_2539.jpg