It's raining

McWheels

Off the long run
And I wear glasses. I used to mitigate this on a DF (back in the days!) with a baseball cap or peak of the helmet. But what now I'm mostly looking upwards?

I have used a Salamander Beak Helmet Visor that helps quit a bit. The Velcro allows adjustments to get the hight and angle just right. You don't want it to be too high or the helmet tries to pull your head off if you exceed 40 mph. There's a carbon one here, haven't tried it. I've thought about making a carbon version of a Da Brim.
img_0415-copy-jpg.5508

I don't know what Maria is using here on the RAAM 2017
19400543_1294894110607931_3505069490985494206_o.jpg

I think Jim used the Cruzbike cap.
19417341_1294893967274612_2222683734954067191_o.jpg

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
This summer I experienced very strong rains on London-Edinburgh-London randonné. I realised that my softshell jacket is not good for this kind of rain. With years counting and income increase compared to my study years I realised that I tend to be more comfortable than before. So I decided that I need some jacket and pants with serious waterproofing.
After such strong experience I bought some Sportful waterproof jacket what was on sale at London. But I realised that is not really breathable at home. So I started to study numbers and it's meaning. I realised that this jacket has waterproofness 10 000 mm and breathability 10 000 mm. Todays best cycling jackets have much higher numbers (20 000 waterproofing and 40 000 breathability). So I need not only new waterproof pants but also better jacket.

What jacket and tights/pants/trowsers do you wear in rainy cold weather on recumbent?

McWheels

Off the long run
I don't do epics, so my needs aren't total sophistication. When they were available [they are again!] I got the recumbent cycling jacket from benditcycling with the mesh back. It's not totally waterproof or breathable, but it does the job. I try quite hard for shorter journeys so that works.
Trousers are upright ones, but almost as if they were designed for recumbents with a (mostly) waterproof front and breathable back:
However they're very warm if you're putting the effort in, so if it's raining in summer I just stick with the lightweight trousers.

My problem's answer might look like this, or this parachute, if they were any good.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
When they were available [they are again!] I got the recumbent cycling jacket from benditcycling with the mesh back
Waterproof jacket with mesh back would be great. But I cannot buy usual sport clothes without try with my figure. I don't like loose sport clothing so sometimes even mens size S is to flappy for my. But womens jacket is not solution I have shoulders.

DavidCH

In thought; expanding the paradigm of traversity
I just use https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-ultralight-windproof-cycling-jacket-white-id_8283388.html

It's light and folds small. If the sun comes out , it comes off and then I hide it under my jacket. It's got vents under the arms and at the back. It's so good I take it travelling. If you want to travel light just forget the jacket and take a jumper with this windproof ultralight gillet. They also do another without sleeves (which I prefer riding) but this winter has been so cold I have used both!

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I just use https://www.decathlon.co.uk/500-ultralight-windproof-cycling-jacket-white-id_8283388.html

It's light and folds small. If the sun comes out , it comes off and then I hide it under my jacket. It's got vents under the arms and at the back. It's so good I take it travelling. If you want to travel light just forget the jacket and take a jumper with this windproof ultralight gillet. They also do another without sleeves (which I prefer riding) but this winter has been so cold I have used both!
But this jacket is not waterproof, is it?

DavidCH

But this jacket is not waterproof, is it?
Well it doesn't get my mobile phone wet. I've only been in one really bad lot of rain... there was a flood of a couple of inches running down the road. I would say it's waterproof enough for me

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Well it doesn't get my mobile phone wet. I've only been in one really bad lot of rain... there was a flood of a couple of inches running down the road. I would say it's waterproof enough for me
I was also thinking that my softshell jacket is waterproof enough for me before I went to Scotland. But now I know that is is not. I need jacket with waterproofness rating of at least 15 000 mm.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products/storm-trooper-waterproof-cycling-jacket

This is the waterproof and very breathable jacket, with big zips under the arm for even more ventilation when required!
Waterproof to 23 M H20, Breathable 33,000 gm per sqm per 24hrs.

I have used it on many 2 to 8 week touring cycling trips in all weather, and I do NOT get wet on the inside when riding in the rain, but it is not tight fitting!

I just wear leg warmers, and W/P boot covers, not trousers as they are too tight around the knee!

Last edited:

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products/storm-trooper-waterproof-cycling-jacket

This is the waterproof and very breathable jacket, with big zips under the arm for even more ventilation when required!
Waterproof to 23 M H20, Breathable 33,000 gm per sqm per 24hrs.

I have used it on many 2 to 8 week touring cycling trips in all weather, and I do NOT get wet on the inside when riding in the rain, but it is not tight fitting!

I just wear leg warmers, and W/P boot covers, not trousers as they are too tight around the knee!
Nice jacket. Living in Australio or New zealand I would test it. But I live in the heart of Europe.
Is rear pocket with zipper OK for you? I cannot have even stiff vertical seam on my spine on my long rides. It causes me painful skin irritation.

DavidCH

I was also thinking that my softshell jacket is waterproof enough for me before I went to Scotland. But now I know that is is not. I need jacket with waterproofness rating of at least 15 000 mm.
Best not go to Scotland :cool:

Do Paris Brest Paris next year!

jond

Zen MBB Master
Gore wear shell jacket. Expensive but.....works packs small and fitment is ok on bent.

super slim

Zen MBB Master
Nice jacket. Living in Australio or New zealand I would test it. But I live in the heart of Europe.
Is rear pocket with zipper OK for you? I cannot have even stiff vertical seam on my spine on my long rides. It causes me painful skin irritation.
No problems with rear pocket zip as I use a 40 mm thick seat pad.

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
Gore wear shell jacket. Expensive but.....works packs small and fitment is ok on bent.
Stealth gray colour is real deal breaker for me. I don't want another cycling dead in family only because someone haven't seen me.
Only reason why I have such expensive helmet is its colour. Otherwise I don't think that helmet adds much

snilard

Guru of hot glue gun
I have left my requirement for bright colours on my waterproof jacket and wanted to test Gore Text active shakedry material (i.e. https://www.gorewear.com/eu/ie-en/gore-c7-gore-tex-shakedry-jacket-100094.html). It is only 2 layer laminete - buttom fabric and membrane. There is not any top fabric protecting the membrane. So I asked producer If it is suitable for recumbents. Answer is NO. It cannot be used with backpack and recumbent seat is bit like a backpack.

So any jacket made out of Gore shakedy material cannot be used on recumbent. Forgot jackets like Gore One, 7Mesh Oro or Castelli Idro.