Joe's New Tires

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
I was using 28 mm (26.5 mm actual) Continental Gatorskin tires on my Vendetta with heavy butyl tubes made for 28 mm tires. Today, I replaced them with 25 mm (25 mm actual) Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II tires and some Conti tubes made for 25 mm tires. I weighed all of the tubes and tires and I shaved off about 1/3 of a pound of rotational mass. So that should make some difference when sprinting, because I'll be able to rotate the tires up to speed faster than before. It also means less weight to haul up a hill, although that's probably not going to be noticeable. But the big difference (and the main reason to change) is to reduce rolling resistance. If I understand the data correctly, I should be able to gain a 20 watt advantage with these new tires alone compared to the old tires. That's significant power for free.

So I just had to go out and test these new tires instead of waiting for a shop ride. I did an out and back route (go east, go north, turn around, go back south, go back west) to balance out any wind - although it wasn't very windy. There were some rollers and some flats. I went for an hour and five minutes. Keep in mind that I just did a hard 104 miles yesterday, so I wanted to keep it somewhat light. My average HR ended up being 132 bpm. That's not too bad since my recovery rate is 120 or less, and my aerobic base is around 141. So I didn't push it too hard, but I didn't go really easy either. I also had to adjust my numbers when I got home because I forgot to set my cyclo-computer wheel size before riding. So I got home, did a rollout test, reset my computer settings for wheel size, and recalculated my data.

Here's all I can say about the new tires: Holy Crap Batman!!! I felt the difference as soon as I took off in the driveway. Then I could still feel it on the road. I felt it all the way out and all the way back. The old tires felt like glue compared with these new tires. So I was able to do an average of 21.36 mph for a little over an hour with an average heart rate of 132. I know this is all subjective, because I have no way to compare it scientifically. But wow! I could feel the difference right away. I really need to start looking at some lighter, more aerodynamic wheels too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suz

Cruzbiker

I had a similar experience when I replaced my Maxxis Detonators for Schwalbe Ones. There might be some comparisons around between the Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II and Schwalbe One, but today is Sunday and I am too lasy to look for it...

Cruzbiker

Yes, you are right. I couldn't resist and did some searching too. Actually the Grand Prix 4000 S II is slightly better than the One in rolling resistance; but almost negletable.

jond

Zen MBB Master
hi joseph the adage " a pound saving on the wheels is worth two on the bike." is very true. i have a set of ones on the way but use the 4000s 11 as tyre of choice. will be interesting to compare but both enjoy a good reputation. great dry weather tyres. great feel and i really noticed the difference too compared to the gatorskins. a nice 1.3kg climbing wheelset is a joy and they spin up fast with 16 and 20 bladed spokes ...... but for everyday use give me 32 spokes aluminium rims for an extra 200 grams or so having a reliable bullet proof wheel is comforting and fast enough. especially when you pass $3.5 k aero wheels on a tt df. should have a set of aero wheels too soon so i can see then what benefit they are. enve 6.7 s but will be fitted in reverse. enve have specific front and rear wheel combo. so on a vendetta not the best.

hamishbarker

I changed to gp4000 2's recently. I need to redo some laps to get test data with power and run r Chung analysis to see how much difference there is. on the down side, they do provide less traction going up hill as now i can break traction, whereas on the yellow vredesteins i could not.

if heat isn't too much problem, te aero benefits of an aero helmet should be similar to those for deep section wheels but maybe cheaper if you go for not the latest models, and you can still change wheels later.

I'm looking around for a second hand one to get test data (and for appropriate wording to justify $ to the financial controller. :) )

ratz

Wielder of the Rubber Mallet
What a horrible name from a marketing perspective. Even the acronym is difficult to remember: CGP4KS2 tires. :p

Schwalbe is a about the same name mish mash.
Durano
Durano S
Durano HS
Durano Pro
Durano HS Pro
Durano S pro
Durano Skid

And at least four I forget. Ultremo is equally messed up.

At least they haven't done that to the "One"

One
One pro
One tubeless
one pro tubeless

Or is that "Four"

But as of today

Conti best price performance. 3 great tires the rest are meeh.

Schwalbe best website,tire diversity, and tube durability.

Victorria best latex tube and rolling resistance clinchers

Michellean - sneaky good if you can find inventory in season.

If purple makes you faster just wear that as it is cheaper than testing multiple tires for best CdR.

Lastly if you leave the house at 100psi and get back at 75psi the tire you run doesn't matter until you learn to install and maintain them :oops:

Suz

Can't wait to see video of your A rides now. May have to mount a rear camera cause you'll be in front.
They won't stand a chance batman.

bladderhead

Zen MBB Master
I have Vittoria Open Pave 27-622. These are great, even though they are supposed to be too narrow for my wheels.

I always have Conti on my Grasshopper. They seem fast and incredibly tough. They seem to be made of a hard compound. The disadvantage is that they are almost impossible to get on and off the wheel. This is exacerbated by the Grasshopper's small wheels. My thumbs really like the Silvio's big wheels.

JOSEPHWEISSERT

Zen MBB Master
Can't wait to see video of your A rides now. May have to mount a rear camera cause you'll be in front.
They won't stand a chance batman.
Oh yeah. We'll see how it goes. That's an elusive sprint even on a V due to all of the factors involved.

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
If you are going to run Latex you might want to read up on this article from slow twitch. It appears that Latex tubes work really well with a little tubeless sealant in them; in fact far better than other types of tires
Yes, forgot to mention that. Always put sealant in latex tubes!

LarryOz

Cruzeum Curator & Sigma Wrangler
How well do latex tubes hold up compared with butyl tubes?
I do not have any really good comparative data, but I have had a set of latex tubes in my Conti G2S's for almost the entire year. It is the set of wheels that I have raced almost all my races on. They have lasted just about as long as the tires, which are due for replacement soon.