Katy Trail

My sister and I are planning a Katy trail ride for next summer. I own a Sofrider, a Q559 and an S30. Does anyone have a recommendation on which bike would be best suited for the Katy Trail and with what tires? We are planning on staying at hotels along the route. Cycling from the hotel a couple of days, move the car and repeat. I would love to take the S30 but I don't know if it is rugged enough. I do know my current tires would not cut the mustard. Thank you for any advice.

Tuloose

Guru
We rode the Katy once with the Missouri State Parks Dept. which puts on a ride every year.
They carry your gear and provide an evening meal and camp sites along the way.
The trail is hard packed dirt/fine gravel.
We had 1.5" tires on our Rans Screamer recumbent tandem which worked just fine.
I think your Q with 1.25 - 1.5" tires would be the ticket although the Sofrider would work well too.

Thanks, Tuloose. I'll check out the Missouri State Parks Ride, also. I was thinking my Q. I want to change some things on it anyway. Now, is a good time for me to plan.

I am not cycling for two weeks. My left foot is in a boot because of Achilles tendinitis and spurs. I am not happy but I have been putting off my Q upgrades. Now is the time.

hurri47

On the basis of my riding one twenty-mile section near the middle, I'd say NOT the Silvio. It's mostly hard-packed, but there are soft spots and the occasional puddle.

-Dan

super slim

Zen MBB Master
On the basis of my riding one twenty-mile section near the middle, I'd say NOT the Silvio. It's mostly hard-packed, but there are soft spots and the occasional puddle.

-Dan
Definitely NOT for a V RAAM ready bike, in the hands of a Gnome!!!

Jayrob

I live within 10 miles of the Katy and have ridden 1,000's of miles on it. i have ridden on 23mm to 35 mm tires. If it is during the hot summer, any tire will work, 28 mm or larger will be more comfortable. During spring and fall, larger tires are better because of the soft spots from the rains. Come back and ride the Katy in a few years when the Rock Island is completed and ties into the Katy. The Rock Island is less than a 1/2 mile from my house.

Jayrob

I sold my house in Missouri near the Katy Trail a couple of weeks ago. I built that house 29 years ago. I moved to Texas to be close to my daughter and 3 grand kids. I will go back when they get the Rock Island finished and ride the whole 450 miles of the Katy and Rock Island. I met people from over 30 countries and almost every state on the Katy. It is a real gem and will get even better when they connect with the Rock Island. The Katy has a tree canopy over most of it. If you pick a window with the right weather, it is a must ride for most people. October is my favorite time to ride it with the fall colors and cooler temps. But anytime is a good time to ride it. Enjoy.

Thank you for the info. I am excited about the ride. It is on my list for next summer. I am getting the Sofrider, for me, and my Quest, for my sister, ready. Cooler temps are not my thing but I do like fall colors. What tires did you use, Jayrob? Is there a month we don't want to go?

Jayrob

Hi Chale, glad to see you are excited about the ride. My favorite tires I used on the trail are Schwalbe Marahton Plus and Marathon Supremes at 35mm. I have ridden with 23mm tires, but if you hit a soft spot, the 35 mm tires will keep you from going down. If you go in July or August, watch out for goat head thorns. Take extra water and some food. Check out
bikekatytrail.com forum for up to the minute info about the trail and vendors being open or closed. A lot of Wineries open in the summer. Twenty plus wineries within a couple of miles from the trail, some right next to the trail.

Make sure and take some side trips off the trail, especially in Washington, Hermann, Jefferson City, Columbia, Sedalia, and a few others if you have the time and energy. You can also take the Rock Island trail at Windsor to Pleasant Hill close to Kansas City. I didn't get a chance to ride this as it wasn't open until after my last ride on the Katy. Most important thing is take your time and have fun!

Good luck.

Jerry